C/RW Jonatan Berggren - Skelleftea, SWE JRs (2018, 33rd, DET)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Remember when everyone said the Wings reached to select Bertuzzi because "he would've been around later"? And now he is a legit NHLer who has produced better than most thought he ever would. Obviously the Wings didn't think he was better than Mantha, but they prioritized selecting him way before the consensus would dictate. The fact is, teams are building their list of players they would select, and the priority they would select them. If a team has a player ranked #30, it's not because they think he will be available later, it's because they have 29 players they would rather take before him.

I think you slipped into the middle ground of falling in love with prospects in the later round, but feeling pressured to kind of fall in line with the consensus. The result is you now fighting for Berggren and talking how high you were on him, but without the conviction to place him in the correlated position on your rankings in the first place. And I promise I'm not trying to stir up anything; I do really believe you were and are high on Berggren, but I kind of wish you would have doubled down and gone to war for him as a top 10 talent leading up to the draft. It would have given you the right to all the credit in the world if and when he blows up.
I just realize the gamble, it wouldve been foolish to have him above Zadina as Zadina is just much more likely to hit the NHL as a top 6er than Berggren. Its just risks management on my part.

I did do this with Alexeyev and ranked him 10th.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would have been happy with the Flyers selecting Berggren 19th overall. I can't believe he slipped into the early 2nd. GMs are stupid.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Such an impressive player, oozes confidence. Was one of the youngest players in his draft year too and already playing SHL

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
You would rather have Berggren over Ylonen + Olofsson?
Montreal had four 2nds before the round started, why is it those picks specifically?

Anyways, even though I was high on Ylonen (had him mid-20s), Berggren gives you a chance at something great. Ylonen/Olofsson gives you two chances at something good.The potential payoff is high enough to be worth the gamble. He's the only player from the mid 1st to start of the 2nd I'd accept however.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Montreal had four 2nds before the round started, why is it those picks specifically?

Anyways, even though I was high on Ylonen (had him mid-20s), Berggren gives you a chance at something great. Ylonen/Olofsson gives you two chances at something good.The potential payoff is high enough to be worth the gamble. He's the only player from the mid 1st to start of the 2nd I'd accept however.

If we wanted Berggen, we would have needed to trade for a late 1st pick (top 32). We had picks 35, 38, 56 and 62. The value for a late 1st would be the 35th + either the 38th or 56th. So it wouldve been something like Ylonen + Olofsson. We picked romanov 38th, but most were expecting us to pick a guy like Thomas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad