C/RW Fabian Zetterlund (2017, 63rd, NJD; traded to SJS)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Thought this guy deserved a thread. Had a remarkable finish to the season. Questioned whether he'd even be drafted after the 1st half of the season, his production was way down and the eye-test matched it. Then something happened in the 2nd half and he finished the season almost PPG in SuperElit after having started the season with something like 0.40 PPG or worse. Very impressive. Also had a strong U18 tournament where I felt he really made a strong case to not only be drafted but perhaps taken in the first three rounds. Still one of the youngest players in the draft too. If he can keep developing at the pace he did in the 2nd half he could be a good one.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Thought this guy deserved a thread. Had a remarkable finish to the season. Questioned whether he'd even be drafted after the 1st half of the season, his production was way down and the eye-test matched it. Then something happened in the 2nd half and he finished the season almost PPG in SuperElit after having started the season with something like 0.40 PPG or worse. Very impressive. Also had a strong U18 tournament where I felt he really made a strong case to not only be drafted but perhaps taken in the first three rounds. Still one of the youngest players in the draft too. If he can keep developing at the pace he did in the 2nd half he could be a good one.

One good U18 tournament does not make a player. He's a mid-round pick at best.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
One good U18 tournament does not make a player. He's a mid-round pick at best.

I don't think he gets picked in the first three rounds either, but you never know, especially in a draft like this. I expect him to be a 4th or 5th rounder though, which is still good considering how he looked early in the season.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Should be noted that they split the leagues into Top 10 and Bottom 10 after Christmas, so competition was easier when he started producing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
HUGE fan of him, a chance he will end up as a 1st rounder in my final list.

He can shoot the puck, pass, understands the game at a high level, great anticipation, and is a hound in the corners. Plus I suggest he is hard to push off when the puck is on his stick.

Not your prototypical Swede as he's more strictly offencive forward than a two-way one. As he does need some time to develop his play away from the puck and refine his tools more. But there is a lot to like here.

Reminds me of that Jaden Schwartz type of forward. Definitely won't be as talent, but I think Fabian will be better to handle some the NHL's physicality more.

I don't think he gets picked in the first three rounds either, but you never know, especially in a draft like this. I expect him to be a 4th or 5th rounder though, which is still good considering how he looked early in the season.
I don't know, I believe it was FC who have him 40th overall.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Should be noted that they split the leagues into Top 10 and Bottom 10 after Christmas, so competition was easier when he started producing.

That is true, I did not think of that, but I think that's only a small part of the explanation behind his production getting so much better in 2nd half.

HUGE fan of him, a chance he will end up as a 1st rounder in my final list.

He can shoot the puck, pass, understands the game at a high level, great anticipation, and is a hound in the corners. Plus I suggest he is hard to push off when the puck is on his stick.

Not your prototypical Swede as he's more strictly offencive forward than a two-way one. As he does need some time to develop his play away from the puck and refine his tools more. But there is a lot to like here.

Reminds me of that Jaden Schwartz type of forward. Definitely won't be as talent, but I think Fabian will be better to handle some the NHL's physicality more.

I don't know, I believe it was FC who have him 40th overall.

Yeah, I can see some teams liking him and having him pretty high after his successful U18's. As far as swedes go I'd take him over Westerlund and Hugg, maybe Elvenes too as I think Zetterlunds game will translate better to the NHL, but Elvenes has more raw skill and offensive upside IMO.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I like his game a lot. He reminds me a little bit of Zetterberg with some Naslund thrown in

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He will probably get drafted. Maybe his competitive hardnosed game can make up for his severe lack of hockey sense. Think he'll end up as more of a grinding player rather than a scorer.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
16 goals, 15 assists in 30 games this season. A substantial breakout season for him. I think the days thinking he could be a top 6 scorer are probably gone however I fully think given his build and skillset that he will etch himself a role as a 3rd line bull.

Reactions: MakoSlade

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
16 goals, 15 assists in 30 games this season. A substantial breakout season for him. I think the days thinking he could be a top 6 scorer are probably gone however I fully think given his build and skillset that he will etch himself a role as a 3rd line bull.

Why ? He is starting to find a scoring touch and is only 22 years old. You look at breakout years from players like Barbashev, Verhaeghe, etc and you can see that breakouts can happen almost at any time. You never know

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Why ? He is starting to find a scoring touch and is only 22 years old. You look at breakout years from players like Barbashev, Verhaeghe, etc and you can see that breakouts can happen almost at any time. You never know
He maybe able to fill in spot duty on a 2nd line but I don't think his puck skills, hockey sense or puck movement is good enough.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
You guys will like him in San Jose. I'll feff try to keep up with him out there. Hopefully you guys feed him a bunch of icetime because he did pretty good over here playing in a bottom 6 role 1 night to top 6 role the next. He just needs more consistent minutes to shine.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
You guys will like him in San Jose. I'll feff try to keep up with him out there. Hopefully you guys feed him a bunch of icetime because he did pretty good over here playing in a bottom 6 role 1 night to top 6 role the next. He just needs more consistent minutes to shine.
There is going to be plenty of opportunity for him in San Jose, excited to see what he can do with it

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad