C Rory Kerins - Soo Greyhounds, OHL (2020, 174th, CGY)

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Listed as a middle-rounds pick. But from what I know about him, should be absolutely legit candidate for 2nd round. To be honest there is not many videos, but sometimes twitter and stats (special thanks to pick224.com) can help us.

Probably no one of his skills wonder you, but he is a type of player who does everything right. Every time in right place. Great IQ and vision, decent puck skills. 84% his points is EV. Has 22,73 SH% but just 2,06 shots per game.

I noticed scouts love him. Are Greyhounds fans here? Would like to know more about him

Reactions: neelynugs

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
maybe @Brock can weigh in too. always has great insights.

I like Kerins. He's had a great year. But he's a mid round prospect for me still (in that 80-120 range). One of those guys that does a lot of things well, but outside of faceoffs, nothing spectacularly. And he doesn't have elite size to profile as a top notch shutdown third liner.

He's a very effective player without the puck. Points to a good IQ. And he battles hard to make up for that lack of elite size. Good, quick release.

Bottom line, profiles as a complimentary energy, middle six forward. If I'm taking someone from the OHL with a similar profile, I'm probably going with guys like Suni, Coe, and Wisdom first because they skate better.

Like I said, I like the player so I'm not trying to write him off. Just in terms of NHL projection, he's not a second rounder to me.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Kerins has a very good 2-way game. Byfield started the year on a tear scoring 27 points in his first 13 games and only being held pointless in one of those games. That game? @ the Soo, with Kerins drawing the assignment to match him shift for shift.

Positionally, he is excellent on defense, stays above the puck and effectively clogs passing/shooting lanes whether it's on the forecheck, neutral zone, or defending in his own end. On offense, great vision and hockey IQ, always finds the trailing forward and puts them into space with a well-timed pass. Probably more of a playmaker than a scorer although lead his team in goals this season, but has an accurate shot with a quick release that allows him to still get it off in those high traffic areas in the high slot. Skating took a big step forward this season, whether it was better anticipation, a quicker first step, or better top speed (likely all 3) he was able to put much more pressure on the puck carrier when on defense (particularly on the forecheck), and also allowed him to keep up with and often lead the rush on offense.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like Kerins. He's had a great year. But he's a mid round prospect for me still (in that 80-120 range). One of those guys that does a lot of things well, but outside of faceoffs, nothing spectacularly. And he doesn't have elite size to profile as a top notch shutdown third liner.

He's a very effective player without the puck. Points to a good IQ. And he battles hard to make up for that lack of elite size. Good, quick release.

Bottom line, profiles as a complimentary energy, middle six forward. If I'm taking someone from the OHL with a similar profile, I'm probably going with guys like Suni, Coe, and Wisdom first because they skate better.

Like I said, I like the player so I'm not trying to write him off. Just in terms of NHL projection, he's not a second rounder to me.

Could he project to be similar to someone like Andrew Mangiapane?
Similarities in play styles or not at all?

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007

Would Derek Ryan be comparable player, stylistically?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Would Derek Ryan be comparable player, stylistically?

Derek Ryan more so than Mangiapane IMO.

Kerins will need to improve his skating to be an NHL player. Additionally, he's not necessarily innately skilled or creative with the puck. Is better away from the puck than he is with it.

I think if he develops well, he's a bottom six player and someone who can kill penalties.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
He plays the game the right way. Defensively responsible, never takes a shift off. Sees the ice well and finds soft spots in the slot to receive it back. Great release. Great playmaker. But he flies under the radar and makes you think it's his linemates who are the stars. He just makes everyone around him better.

Went to the Team Canada Summer Showcase and has an outside chance of cracking the roster despite all the big name forwards who are already shoe ins.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He plays the game the right way. Defensively responsible, never takes a shift off. Sees the ice well and finds soft spots in the slot to receive it back. Great release. Great playmaker. But he flies under the radar and makes you think it's his linemates who are the stars. He just makes everyone around him better.

Went to the Team Canada Summer Showcase and has an outside chance of cracking the roster despite all the big name forwards who are already shoe ins.

Thanx

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
With Rory leading OHL in points with 67 in 39games, I'm curious about the player as I don't know much about him.

I see he's listed as a LW/C with people praising his FO skills and his two-way game, does he project as a centre?

How's his game progressing this year? skating? etc? Any OHL/Soo fans with any insight

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Roaring Rory seems to be tracking really well for a 6th round pick. Could see a good middle 6 utility player there down the road. Reminds me a bit of Glencross for some reason.

MosTLucky

May 25, 2016
The Flames seem to be good at finding CHL talent beyond the first round. In recent years Wolf, Dube, Mangipane, Gawdin, Phillips, and even Andersson were drafted out of the CHL beyond R1

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I like how we are just terrible at discussing prospects on this site.

Be on the Part II for a Leafs prospect haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad