C Rasmus Kupari - Karpat, Liiga (2018, 20th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Typical low IQ play by Kupari. :thumbu:
Really nice goal for sure and the pass was really right on spot. Still have to say that the play doesnt really tell about having high hockey IQ in general, as the play was an obvious set play, where he just trusted in Heponiemi coming behind in an area that they had agreed about when practicing the play before.

In general by watching his play it is easy to see that he has at best average hockey IQ. Definitely still holds on too much to the puck and doesn’t also have too good vision to even notice the passing opportunities for quick passes. A blindly thrown pass behind his back based on a clearly practiced and agreed set play doesn’t right away make him a player with high hockey IQ. Magnificent play nevertheless and he did execute it perfectly, as did Heponiemi as well.

I do still want to emphasize that Kupari has been quite much better than I expected this season. I might even see some chances for him becoming a 2nd liner in the NHL, if everything goes really well with his development. Before I saw in him at best a 3rd liner. Still his weaknesses are definitely his pretty average hockey IQ and lack of vision. Could also have to do with him skating constantly at full speed and his IQ and vision just can’t match up with his skating speed. This is in fact a very common problem with speed demons in hockey, and it’s also a big reason why I quite easily dislike these pure speedster types in hockey. They tend to kill the passing plays and also are generally quite inefficient with scoring goals or creating them. I hope Kupari will eventually develop so that my worries are after all proven wrong.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I actually agree with Ippenator for once. I've criticized his hockey IQ before and i still don't think it's exactly high. It's not like you never see 3rd or 4th liners in the NHL complete passes like that, of course you do. You also see them snipe top corners - doesn't make them elite snipers. Kupari reminds me of Adam Lowry with hands.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
I actually agree with Ippenator for once. I've criticized his hockey IQ before and i still don't think it's exactly high. It's not like you never see 3rd or 4th liners in the NHL complete passes like that, of course you do. You also see them snipe top corners - doesn't make them elite snipers. Kupari reminds me of Adam Lowry with hands.
He is a way better skater than Lowry and way more skilled than he has ever been.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I don't either see great hockey IQ. His play has improved a lot and he can be 2c who knows. Carter comparison is good but so much has to go right for him to achieve it.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I haven't seen much of Kupari but some of this chatter (and his general skill set) kind of reminds me of the conversation around Dylan Larkin as a prospect.

A lot of the critique around Larkin was that he lacked the IQ and offensive upside to be top 6 Center.

Last edited:

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
I haven't seen much of Kupari but some of this chatter (and his general skill set) kind of reminds me of the conversation around Dylan Larkin as a prospect.

A lot of the critique around Larkin was that he lacked the IQ and offensive upside to be top 6 Center.

It's also the critique of countless bottom liners and minor leaguers. Why did you pick out Larkin?

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It's also the critique of countless bottom liners and minor leaguers. Why did you pick out Larkin?
Because he succeeded? Just because people say he doesn't have top IQ or that he lacks potential offensive upside doesnt mean he doesn't have a chance to exceed peoples expectations. Just like Larkin. But yes, of course more often then not people do not reach Larkin's level.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I definitely appreciate the open discussion more than I appreciate just straight tire-pumping but I'm really curious what makes people--Finns in particular--so pessimistic about this guy that even when he makes a highlight reel play the discussion goes back to "nope can't see him making it?"

I mean, has he not grown this year? He's putting up numbers that are great company for his drafted countrymen. He looks like he's gotten taller/bigger, better at using his teammates (maybe it's just chemistry with Hepo?), and smarter about not just being a turd and trying to dangle the whole rink? I mean, I feel like he's progressing, not at a meteoric rate, but compared to where he was last year he's looking like he'll be a good player rather than a boom-or-bust questionmark no?

Edit: last few posts put it well imo, thank you. Wasn't just raw criticism, but acknowledgement of growth.

Reactions: wetcoast

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I definitely appreciate the open discussion more than I appreciate just straight tire-pumping but I'm really curious what makes people--Finns in particular--so pessimistic about this guy that even when he makes a highlight reel play the discussion goes back to "nope can't see him making it?"

I mean, has he not grown this year? He's putting up numbers that are great company for his drafted countrymen. He looks like he's gotten taller/bigger, better at using his teammates (maybe it's just chemistry with Hepo?), and smarter about not just being a turd and trying to dangle the whole rink? I mean, I feel like he's progressing, not at a meteoric rate, but compared to where he was last year he's looking like he'll be a good player rather than a boom-or-bust questionmark no?
We are only allowed to overrate or underrate our prospects. :sarcasm:

I think Kupari has shown a lot more than expected this year but I am not sure about his potential. Maybe 2nd line winger? Didn't the Kings draft him to play wing?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We are only allowed to overrate or underrate our prospects. :sarcasm:

I think Kupari has shown a lot more than expected this year but I am not sure about his potential. Maybe 2nd line winger? Didn't the Kings draft him to play wing?

Seems like it, and almost everything about his game screams winger to me, but you never know. Kings like their Cs being able to skate the full ice, the Jeff Carter comparison above is a good one in that way.

Last edited:

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Because This thread reminded me of the conversations about Larkin?

They were drafted just a handful of years of apart; there is no sense looking for comparisons that are too recent or too far in the past. They were drafted in a similar spot. Both players spent much of their junior careers in the shadows of elite countrymen. They have similar skill sets and similar knocks.

Whether Kupari succeeds to the extent Larkin has is yet to be determined but Larkin is an example of player performaning at a high level despite similar critiques.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Rasmus Kupari, 18-year-old. 12 goals + 20 assists in 40 games so far in the Finnish League. U20's World Champion. Highlight-reel performances in almost every game after Christmas.

At this time last year he was bouncing between juniors and Mestis (FIN 2nd tier).

His progress has been sensational, he's one of the key pieces of a team that is breaking all the records in the Finnish Liiga. He reminds me so much of Sebastian Aho who at the time was underrated by everyone.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I could see him becoming a better version of Kasperi Kapanen once everything is said and done.

Hardly anyone expected Kapanen to make NHL when he was 18-19 but look where he is now after a few years of hard work and dedication to become a NHL regular.

Kupari shares a lot of similarities with him, both good and bad, but I think Kupari's hands and slightly better IQ/respect for the two way game at his age allows him to become even better player than Kapanen.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Rasmus Kupari, 18-year-old. 12 goals + 20 assists in 40 games so far in the Finnish League. U20's World Champion. Highlight-reel performances in almost every game after Christmas.

At this time last year he was bouncing between juniors and Mestis (FIN 2nd tier).

His progress has been sensational, he's one of the key pieces of a team that is breaking all the records in the Finnish Liiga. He reminds me so much of Sebastian Aho who at the time was underrated by everyone.
His progress has definitely been very good this season, but no, he doesnt’t really have much of similarities with Aho though. Aho was always so much better with his hockey IQ, that there is really absolutely no point in comparing Kupari to Aho. Very, very different players.

Kupari’s play is very much based on skating at full speed almost constantly, which is not at all the style for Aho. Aho has always been pretty much the opposite, with using his excellent skating skills selectively and often slowing down the play to be able to better make playmaking plays and see the ice quickly and better in most situations.

Aho is a playmaking type whom is very capable of also scoring goals. I don’t see Kupari as a natural talent in neither goal scoring nor playmaking. He is most of all a speedy grinder type with pretty good dangling skills but only relatively average goal scoring and playmaking skills.

Kupari has still been able to surprise me with his development in general this season, so I have been willing to think now that he might at best turn even into a 2nd line NHL player. But I don’t see him ever as a 2nd line center though, if he ever becomes a 2nd liner in the NHL, he will most probably be a winger then. He is still lacking so much of natural playmaking skills, that I can’t see him ever as a natural 2nd line center at the NHL level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldenhands

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I could see him becoming a better version of Kasperi Kapanen once everything is said and done.

Hardly anyone expected Kapanen to make NHL when he was 18-19 but look where he is now after a few years of hard work and dedication to become a NHL regular.

Kupari shares a lot of similarities with him, both good and bad, but I think Kupari's hands and slightly better IQ/respect for the two way game at his age allows him to become even better player than Kapanen.
Biggest enemy to Kapanen's success was his own personality. Toronto management taught him humility. Kupari does not seem to share these bratty qualities, which should make his way to NHL easier.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Anyone watching Kärpät-JYP? Kupari got ejected for illegal crosscheck to the head, but I haven't noticed them showing it happening.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Anyone watching Kärpät-JYP? Kupari got ejected for illegal crosscheck to the head, but I haven't noticed them showing it happening.

Tried to hit Ikonen in the nuts with wrong end of his stick. Didn't really hit him but deserved misconduct anyway.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Great skater, low IQ player that will end up playing on the wing... That kid is a more flashy player than an effective one, was on my ND list last draft since I cant stand brainless hockey players, they are more frustrating than entertaining to watch...

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Great skater, low IQ player that will end up playing on the wing... That kid is a more flashy player than an effective one, was on my ND list last draft since I cant stand brainless hockey players, they are more frustrating than entertaining to watch...
How many Liiga games have you seen this year? The kids IQ is getting trashed on, and at this point it's just because it's cool. He is a smart enough player to play at a really high level in the NHL.

I think it's pretty funny when some NA people comment on Euro players that they have no clue about..

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
How many Liiga games have you seen this year? The kids IQ is getting trashed on, and at this point it's just because it's cool. He is a smart enough player to play at a really high level in the NHL.

I think it's pretty funny when some NA people comment on Euro players that they have no clue about..
He was total garbage at the WJC showing very low IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad