C Rasmus Kupari - Karpat, Liiga (2018, 20th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I think at 20th he was actually a pretty good pick. Like many posters have mentioned before, he had consistency related issues throughout the year. Kupari did start his FEL career as the third line center with limited minutes with no PP time and played there for a large part of the season. Later he was promoted to 2nd line center and when Vesalainen joined the team, the two were paired up but it didn't do much to help his offensive output. I think the inexperience at pro level and the lack of productive role early on also affected his numbers. However there are a few things of which shouldn't be overlooked. Due to lack of core strength he got pushed and tossed around a lot playing vs the grown ups (time will work this out). Playing center at the age of 17 in one of the hardest scoring leagues in the world is no easy task for any youngster.

Kupari played in the WJC but saw little ice time despite of team Finland having one of the worst group of centers ever. Later on he missed out on the first games of u18 WJHC cause Kärpät would not let him leave as they were in the playoffs.

What we saw last year alone would indicate to lowish hockey IQ. Otherwise the skills (especially with the puck) are evident and unlike one poster mentioned, I do think he has a pretty good shot as well. Excellent skater with some actual size to go along with, although I was surprised to see the combine measurements (thought he was much closer to 6"0 than 6"1,5(/188,7 lbs). Rasmus pretty literally looks like a teenager even today. I really hope he belongs to the group of youngsters who just need time to figure it all out and even if he turns into if he turns into just a speedy hustler I won't be too disappointed nor surprised. Seems like there's a fair share of those in the NHL even today. All in all, fits the very definition of bust/boom prospect quite splendidly.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I think at 20th he was actually a pretty good pick. Like many posters have mentioned before, he had consistency related issues throughout the year. Kupari did start his FEL career as the third line center with limited minutes with no PP time and played there for a large part of the season. Later he was promoted to 2nd line center and when Vesalainen joined the team, the two were paired up but it didn't do much to help his offensive output.

When was this? IIRC he played one game with Leskinen and Mäenalanen in the playoffs but played mostly with Vesalainen and Karvinen on the 3rd line when Lasu centered the 2nd line, until Mäenalanen moved to center to play with Leskinen and Vesalainen

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
When was this? IIRC he played one game with Leskinen and Mäenalanen in the playoffs but played mostly with Vesalainen and Karvinen on the 3rd line when Lasu centered the 2nd line, until Mäenalanen moved to center to play with Leskinen and Vesalainen

Actually think you may be right. Vesalainen was just placed in the 3rd line to play with Kupari and I mixed it up. I think his 5vs5 ice time went up a bit, as I did watch quite many of those games especially after KV had landed there. Also Kupari got only limited time on the PP, and I remember that Vesalainen played in the 2nd PP unit, but wasn't Kupari left entirely out then? Unfortunately no time to check up but I'll do it later.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Actually think you may be right. Vesalainen was just placed in the 3rd line to play with Kupari and I mixed it up. I think his 5vs5 ice time went up a bit, as I did watch quite many of those games especially after KV had landed there. Also Kupari got only limited time on the PP, and I remember that Vesalainen played in the 2nd PP unit, but wasn't Kupari left entirely out then? Unfortunately no time to check up but I'll do it later.

Kupari played couple of games in the front of the net in the 2nd unit because of injuries but wasn't a regular on the PP. Vesalainen played on the 2nd unit yeah.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Sounds like this is a pick that needs a few more years of seasoning and a professional workout and diet plan before a true measure of what he will become can be drawn.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Saw a few videos of devcamp from a friend and if nothing else the guys hands and feet are friggin lightning. From a skating standpoint, it was Bobby Orr and everyone else. Insane.

Reactions: kingsboy11

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Pretty good start to the preseason with his club team. Kärpät beat Luleå 4-0 and Kupari had 2+1.

Apparently the game was streamed in Sweden so hopefully we can get some footage later.

Reactions: Erikfromfin

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
I was really high on him and Thomas on draft day... kinda sad the Pacioretty felt through because it most likely would've involved one of these two picks :)

I will follow Kupari's development closely, I think you have a good and exciting one!

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Looks like he will end up centering Pyörälä and Heponiemi this season unless Kärpät gets another forward.
That could really work. I don’t see Kupari as a very good playmaking center, but he could turn in fact into at least a decent kind of a goal scoring threat with suitable linemates that know how to use his great speed. And I think that an experienced player with pretty good hockey IQ and very defensively responsible play like Pyörälä, and another young speedster with great hands and excellent passing skills and vision like Heponiemi, just simply sounds like a heavenly matching line for Liiga play. I really hope they get to play together and get good minutes. Could be exactly what Kupari needs in general to get the best out of him.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
0+3 tonight. 1+1 for Heponiemi.

Game is on Facebook but you can only watch live. Hopefully it will be available on demand later .

Reactions: Ukki

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
2+4 in 2 preseason games now, not too shabby. I feel like Heponiemi and Kupari will be one hell of a duo this season, so much skill and speed.

Reactions: Ippenator

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I kind of "forgave" his lack of production last season since I saw how much he struggled physically playing against men, while many doomed him due lack of hockey IQ. I've seen fast players whom lack the creativity and I'm not yet sold he belongs to that group. He might, but I want to see more first before making up my mind. Really interesting to see how the future unfolds and of course I hope all the best for him.

6 points in 2 games? That's not too shabby, no matter if it's just half arsed playing. I would imagine at least some guys trying to make the most of it when battling for positions in the coming season.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I picked this link from the HFpanths and one of the goals by Heponiemi looked pretty magical (Kupari with the second assist).

It's from the earlier game. Damn, I hope they look like this when the real games begin.
On a side note I didn't think much of Heponiemi especially after the WJC "fiasco", but I certainly wouldn't mind if he proved me wrong.

Reactions: Ippenator

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Rasmus Copper - is he, unfortunately, one of those "all tools, no toolbox" guys or what : "all wheels, no tools, let alone a box for them"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->