C Rasmus Kupari - Karpat, Liiga (2018, 20th, LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I'm surprised to read these combine measurements even though I've kept an eye on Kupari along the season. Thought he looked a lot smaller. I still consider him as an intriguing prospect due to the skill set even though his season was slightly underwhelming. It seemed as if he didn't have the toughness to battle against the grown ups in FEL, got tossed around too easy and it affected his ability to be productive. If I was a scout I'd be watching his games on a rewind just to see how many bad decisions did he make on the ice exactly or was is more about the lack of physicality that kept him in bay. Naturally there remains unanswered questions about the hockey IQ and I do hope that it won't turn out as his shortcoming. Since even if you have the skating, smooth hands, good shot and of course the size, it's still not enough to have a great career. Suppose we'll be much wiser next season, just like with so many other youngsters out there. I can't but hope he could follow the footsteps of Tolvanen, Aho and Vesalainen for example, but right now it's not what I'm expecting. Cannot remember how many times I've said it before but FEL isn't an easy step for any 17-18 year old kid no matter the talent.
Tilastot | #19 Kupari, Rasmus | Liiga

These are his Liiga measurements...he's grown a lot in a year. If you grow that much in a year no shit you're gonna be in trouble physically.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Tilastot | #19 Kupari, Rasmus | Liiga

These are his Liiga measurements...he's grown a lot in a year. If you grow that much in a year no **** you're gonna be in trouble physically.
I’m actually pretty convinced that Liiga got some old measurements that were then copied to Eliteprospects. Before the season, Eliteprospects had Kupari as 186cm/86kg, which is basically exactly the same as his combine results. Weird to think that Kupari is actually heavier than Kotkaniemi.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I’m actually pretty convinced that Liiga got some old measurements that were then copied to Eliteprospects. Before the season, Eliteprospects had Kupari as 186cm/86kg, which is basically exactly the same as his combine results. Weird to think that Kupari is actually heavier than Kotkaniemi.

Yeah, he was listed as 186cm in the Hlinka Roster already, EP or Liiga never updated their measurements.

Leijonat.fi - 03 - Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup, CZE/SVK (7.-13.8.2017)

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Measured 6-1.5, 188.7 at the Combine. Looks like he had quite the growth spurt.
I wonder how much that affected his play last year. Last year I felt like there were times when he was a bit shaky on his skates compared to year before. The top speed was still there but didn't seem to be as agile as before.

He might not be as talented as Kotkaniemi and hockey IQ might not be his best trait but I still feel like he can become a solid player eventually. I heard his plan is to stay for 2-3 years in Kärpät so that sounds promising for his development.

Reactions: Ippenator

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
The kid seems impressive, anyone has a special take on him? Any NHL comparison? Does he project to play C at the NHL level?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
IM befuddled why he is not getting more hype. Looks to be a natural center with almost elite skating and puckhandling ability. THose guys are hard to come by
His production's been disappointing at every level and he in general seems to look much better in highlights than his actual impact to the game is. Seems to make ineffective choices, might have low hockey IQ.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
IM befuddled why he is not getting more hype. Looks to be a natural center with almost elite skating and puckhandling ability. THose guys are hard to come by
I agree with the two posters before. Not too good hockey IQ, as his game is pretty much speed over brains. This leads into him not being a very productive player. I also doubt that he will ever be a center in the NHL, as his hockey IQ is just way too average for being effective in that role on that level. I believe rather that he could become a high energy 3rd line grinder winger, or at absolute best case scenario, maybe even a second liner. But really everything has to go well for him and his development for that to happen.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I hope he pans out. Skill seems to be there.
The skill definitely is there. Great hands and puck skills. But problems with shot, vision and IQ. I'd say it's quite a boom and bust and I'm not high on him at all. His production has been meh at every single level throughout his junior career, there's got to be a reason for that considering his skillset.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Kings GM Rob Blake made mention that he would be a winger. If all he has to do is skate and try and put the puck in the net does that change anybody's perceptions on him IQ wise, or potential wise. He Kinda reminds me of another player we have on the roster named Adrian Kempe. Would that be a fair comparison?

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Kings GM Rob Blake made mention that he would be a winger. If all he has to do is skate and try and put the puck in the net does that change anybody's perceptions on him IQ wise, or potential wise. He Kinda reminds me of another player we have on the roster named Adrian Kempe. Would that be a fair comparison?

A right handed Adrian Kempe without the mean streak. Not great hockey IQ, great speed.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kings GM Rob Blake made mention that he would be a winger. If all he has to do is skate and try and put the puck in the net does that change anybody's perceptions on him IQ wise, or potential wise.
Putting the puck in the net has been his issue at every single level he's played(Well, I don't know what he did when he was 14 and younger). That's pretty problematic. Theoretically it could work, I guess? But to me, the only time he's impressive offensively is when he's skating with the puck on his stick. When he needs to get rid of the puck, whether it's by passing or shooting, the outcome tends to be disappointing.

That's not to say that he can't figure things out, of course. Being fast in NHL should always have its uses and his work ethic seems fine. Even if he doesn't become a top end offensive threat he should have some use in a bottom 6 role and honestly, there still is boom potential even though I'm doubtful of him.

Kings with the steal of the draft. I'm jealous.
As for this guy, had Puljujärvi over Laine etc, seems like a massive Kärpät fan.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
High-end skating, but low IQ, doesn't know how to use his linemates well, prone to turnovers. Afraid he might turn out Yakupov-esk, undeniably talented, but unable to put it all together.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Not a bad pick at 20, in my opinion.

He didn't seem to produce well in juniors but somehow he had solid production in pro games this year. Who knows, maybe he is figuring it out.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Why are people hating on him so much? Let him show what he can do with decent linemates and PP time before saying he is a bust and low iq player. He didn't use his linemates enough because they sucked for the most part(Karvinen, Junnila, Koivisto and Ikonen)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad