C Raphael Lavoie - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2019, 38th, EDM)

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
Reminds me of a JVR type for some reason. I wonder if he will stick at center or be more of a powerforward winger whose really solid in front of the net, especially if he has a center who can get him the puck in those tight areas. Took the 3rd most faceoffs on the Mooseheads last year but looks to have been rotated from center to wing a few times.

I see him as more of a winger moving forwards. He bounced between the two positions last year but I think his future — especially post Moosehead's — will be as a winger. Damn good player though.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
In games I watched, he often lost the puck in simple moves. I might I've seen his worst games, but he really did not impress me in that aspect.
I’ve watched his games and you are not wrong. However early in the season he was chipping the puck to himself past the defence and was one on one with the goalie a lot. You could actually see him try new things as the season moved on. He handles the puck when he has an open man and then passes when he should be handling it. You can see sometimes his line mates got frustrated with him. If he studies footage of Jaromir Jagr he has the skating and reach to play keep away all night long. He’s really hard to knock off the puck in open ice. He has to stay off the boards

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Been the best player for Canada in this summer showcase game against the Finns.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
best forward on the ice tonight

but needs to be way more involved vs waiting on pucks to bounce out or be passed to him

needs to be more physical

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
For those of us that remember think of Joe Thorton as a big lanky 17 yo......all tools are similar but Lavoie skates better.

ps love that Lavoie has an edge to his game

Reactions: 99664987

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
His best hockey quality is his sense of timing

but he needs to get much more aggressive and implicated in the game
especially at that size and harder below the
hash marks

he cannot constantly rely on the other two forwards to do all the plumbing on the line and pick up the peices

until that comes around it will be a B prospect for me

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
His best hockey quality is his sense of timing

but he needs to get much more aggressive and implicated in the game
especially at that size and harder below the
hash marks

he cannot constantly rely on the other two forwards to do all the plumbing on the line and pick up the peices

until that comes around it will be a B prospect for me
I do not feel he waits for the others to do all the work...he digs for pucks and goes in tough areas....to me get reminds me of an Anthony mantha

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Honestly the amount of high-quality forward talent coming out of all parts of Canada for the 2019 draft is absurd. I whole-heartedly believe any of Krebs, Dach, Cozens, Pelletier, Suzuki, Lavoie, Parent, etc etc etc (literally can easily think of a dozen more) could be top-5 selections, and the D pool is damn good, too. And then Byfield and Lafreniere the next year, both of whom are probably better than anyone except maybe Hughes? Just ridiculous. Very fun time to be an avid CHL prospect follower.
So many prospects for Ottawa to watch!

On-topic: I've been consistently impressed with the moosehead's scouting. Year after year they have a star, if not two.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
He reminds me of Jeff Carter. There's not really another NHL player like Lavoie other than Carter IMO. Big, fast, right-handed, great shooter and hands.

I like Dach from the WHL as well, he's also 6'3-6'4, skates well, physical, and a great playmaker. Not sure which one I like more, but if you want big, speedy, skilled forwards, this is the draft for it.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'll repeat: Mark Scheifele. Watch footage of each back-to-back, look at their physical builds and on-ice strengths. As I said, Lavoie might be more a volume shooter and less of a passer, and it remains to be seen if he is a center long-term, but there are a lot of similarities between them stylistically and visually. I usually am not happy with comps, but I really like that one. Tell me I'm crazy.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'll repeat: Mark Scheifele. Watch footage of each back-to-back, look at their physical builds and on-ice strengths. As I said, Lavoie might be more a volume shooter and less of a passer, and it remains to be seen if he is a center long-term, but there are a lot of similarities between them stylistically and visually. I usually am not happy with comps, but I really like that one. Tell me I'm crazy.
Wasnt skating an issue back then with Scheifle? Did you observe the same flaws with Lavoie? He seems very quick

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wasnt skating an issue back then with Scheifle? Did you observe the same flaws with Lavoie? He seems very quick

Scheifs always had pretty decent speed and acceleration. He just had severe balance and edgework issues. It led to his nickname of Bambi early on in his career with the Jets. He has since overcome it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For those of us that remember think of Joe Thorton as a big lanky 17 yo......all tools are similar but Lavoie skates better.

ps love that Lavoie has an edge to his game
I hope you're not saying he's better than Thornton because Lavoie wouldn't even touch Joe's hockey IQ and playmaking ability. Raphael in reality is a goalscorer first and uses his big frame to outmuscle other players to rebounds and whatnot. He is very mobile for his size, but he doesn't touch Joe Thornton in skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad