C Raphael Lavoie - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2019, 38th, EDM)

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Is he a true center? I feel like I like him better than the WHL guys, maybe a bit more skill and creativity.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Is he a true center? I feel like I like him better than the WHL guys, maybe a bit more skill and creativity.

At this point in time......I'd lean towards no. It's not like he's not high IQ enough, but I just don't think he looks as good there. Some second guessing and stuff. He'd thrive on the wing next to a true playmaking center with less responsibilities, I think. One of my favorites entering the year though. I'm projecting him as a wing and not quite the playmaker, but Lavoie's got some Scheifele to him stylistically.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
I must admit that the only time that I've seen him play was at the last U-18's. I really liked what I saw. Regardless of what position he ends up playing in the NHL, I like the fact that he always goes to the net, and has more than enough skill to know what to do with the puck when he gets there.

Reactions: 99664987

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I think he can be a centre at the NHL level but is likely going to be a right winger. But I think he'll be a monster of a power forward.

Yeah, from everything I think of him, I'd say upside is elite 3rd line c or a very strong 2nd line wing with some first line years.

Not sure what he's missing but I don't see him as a top top prospect for this draft. At 15-25 I think he's an excellent pick.

As a sidenote, he's freaking huge and that could go one of two ways. NHL ready very early on, or needs to alter his style more as his pwf style won't be nearly as dominant as junior. Has a high IQ though.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Caught the game last night. Half the Moose minute was dedicated to how well Lavoie has been playing lately. 13 points in his last 5 games mostly without Zadina. Said the scouts are buzzing about this kid. Big strong with good overall speed but also can kick it in and has breakaway speed. Slices through defences with ease and has great balance and hands for a big kid. Goes in corners but is shy of contact at this point. Needs to develop the defensive game. Is quite good on the dot. He takes right side face offs and Somppi takes center and left side face offs. Although it's quite early he plays a game very similar to a young Rick Nash. Xavier Parent is also very talented. These two 2019s are really driving the Mooseheads up the CHL rankings. Just about all of Lavoies goals are highlight quality and has some game winners and overtime markers. Somebody with access should produce a reel. The overall package would be quite entertaining.
This. He was quickly becoming my favorite on the team.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006
screams frederik gauthier

This couldn’t be further from the truth. Lavoie looks like a beast out there and actually uses his size to his advantage and he looks very dangerous in the offensive zone. He’s going to be a top pick next year.

He also just got invited to the World Junior Showcase. Would be great to see him make the roster in December.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Big kid has huge star potential. Great hands, IQ, speed. most likely the hardest shot in the league and can fight. Watching him go from a 9 point season to a 30 goal scorer was fun. Gonna be another exciting year in Halifax

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What would be a reasonable projection ? A lesser version of David Backes ?

Reminds me of a JVR type for some reason. I wonder if he will stick at center or be more of a powerforward winger whose really solid in front of the net, especially if he has a center who can get him the puck in those tight areas. Took the 3rd most faceoffs on the Mooseheads last year but looks to have been rotated from center to wing a few times.

Reactions: SantaClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad