C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No that really isn't an excuse. He has to be one of the best players on Team Canada. That has nothing to do with the other teams. Playing in the tournament as the 2nd overall pick from the previous year kinda has to come with the expectations that you aren't just there. I really don't think that is setting unrealistic expectations at all.
It's a weird year, so I don't know what to expect. But, historically, it's pretty rare for the 2nd overall pick to be at the WJC, and generally, they are top players. The only ones to go in the last 15 years are Sam Reinhart, JVR and Bobby Ryan. All were a point per game or better and with JVR and Reinhart making the end of tournament all-star team.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
No that really isn't an excuse. He has to be one of the best players on Team Canada. That has nothing to do with the other teams. Playing in the tournament as the 2nd overall pick from the previous year kinda has to come with the expectations that you aren't just there. I really don't think that is setting unrealistic expectations at all.
It's true he has expectations due to where he was drafted but he was draft that high based on potential, more so than any of the other top draft pics. One could easily argue there were other more ready prospects in the draft, but the Kings chose Byfield because of what he could become, not what he is today.

That doesn't take away the weight on his shoulders to perform today, but even if he has an average tournament that's also not the end of him as a top prospect.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Went back and watched Canada's first scrimmage.

Byfield looked great. Whenever he was on the ice his team had the puck in team White's zone. Really seemed to be the one driving the play on his line as well. I think being able to play this natural position this WJC will really help.

Why bother watching the game when you can look at the scoresheet.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
From what I saw of the scrimmages Byfield showed crazy skills but didn't seem to use his body/size at all. He leaves you wanting more but that's why he's such an exciting prospect: "this isn't even his final form."

It's a weird year, so I don't know what to expect. But, historically, it's pretty rare for the 2nd overall pick to be at the WJC, and generally, they are top players. The only ones to go in the last 15 years are Sam Reinhart, JVR and Bobby Ryan. All were a point per game or better and with JVR and Reinhart making the end of tournament all-star team.

Even though you would expect Byfield to dominate given his draft spot/ability isn't he arguably the 3rd C on Canada behind Dach and Cozens? IDK how they plan to deploy him on special teams but he doesn't get the traditional 1c playing time I wouldn't be surprised if he "disappoints" relative to the expectations of a 2nd overall pick in the WJC given how stacked the team should be.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
From what I saw of the scrimmages Byfield showed crazy skills but didn't seem to use his body/size at all. He leaves you wanting more but that's why he's such an exciting prospect: "this isn't even his final form."

Even though you would expect Byfield to dominate given his draft spot/ability isn't he arguably the 3rd C on Canada behind Dach and Cozens? IDK how they plan to deploy him on special teams but he doesn't get the traditional 1c playing time I wouldn't be surprised if he "disappoints" relative to the expectations of a 2nd overall pick in the WJC given how stacked the team should be.

Top 3 lines for team Canada, there isn't a huge difference in ice time, if he and his line play well they will put them on the ice enough ( see Cirelli line in 2017 ) .

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

But, isn't part of the expectation of a 2nd overall pick in his 18 year old season to get the 1st line center gig based on ability that got him drafted that high?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He needs to step up and prove himself - he didn't last year. If he doesn't, people are going to criticize and rightfully so. The kid is a monster with a ton of talent and he needs to play accordingly.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Exactly. He needs to step up like Laf did last year. Fortunately, with all the talent on this team, he doesn't have to carry the team but he does need to be dominant when he's on the ice.

At 6'4" and 220 lbs, he should at least be a physical force.

Last edited:

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
But, isn't part of the expectation of a 2nd overall pick in his 18 year old season to get the 1st line center gig based on ability that got him drafted that high?

Would Dach and Cozens be there normally? Feels like Dach wouldn't at least.

edit: I don't think Kings fans should sweat if Byfield is clearly behind Dach this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't think anyone is saying he has to be the tournament MVP....but he has to make an impact. I don't really care where he lines up on the team he can't just be there. If he is the 3rd line centre he should absolutely feast on weaker matchups or be pushing the people ahead of him.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think anyone is saying he has to be the tournament MVP....but he has to make an impact. I don't really care where he lines up on the team he can't just be there. If he is the 3rd line centre he should absolutely feast on weaker matchups or be pushing the people ahead of him.
Yup.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

edit: I don't think Kings fans should sweat if Byfield is clearly behind Dach this tournament.
The only real comparable is 2005 when Malkin played, which isn’t really the fairest benchmark.

But, Canada has moved centres around and to the wing for years to stack the top 6.

Reactions: deflowd

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Give Byfield some time. He’s younger than Lafreniere for his draft year and is going to need a year, or two in junior to fulfill his potential.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Give Byfield some time. He’s younger than Lafreniere for his draft year and is going to need a year, or two in junior to fulfill his potential.
We're all rooting for him. We just expected more at this point given his size, skillset, potential and hype.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He was at the World Juniors last year. He was invisible.

Let's not split words, he has not produced like many of us hoped.

I don’t really put any stock into how a player plays at the WJ’s in their draft year. Plenty of good NHL’ers had bad WJ’s.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don’t really put any stock into how a player plays at the WJ’s in their draft year. Plenty of good NHL’ers had bad WJ’s.
True.

Again, he's has the opportunity to excel this Christmas - he doesn't have to carry the team, all while being on a team that's loaded. Let's hope he shines.

I'm sure 95% of posters here (myself included) want him to be GREAT!!!!

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He was at the World Juniors last year. He was invisible.

Let's not argue semantics, he has not "popped" like many of us hoped.

Not that it really matters, but he was also the youngest player on the team, one of only two 02-born players. Did you write off Lafreniere after his invisible 2019 WJC?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
To me there are still a lot of elements missing from his game. I watched the scrimmages and like my viewings last year I wasn't wowed by him.

Yes he flashes his combination of explosiveness and soft mitts fairly regularly and also pulls the odd power move to the net but it doesn't generally lead to much. Imo it is mostly due to him trying to do too much.

He dekes one guy nicely but then trys to go at a second guy and gets the puck stripped. He tends to try to rely too much on his talent and against better competition he is more easily shut down.

The biggest things I think he needs to add to his game to truly be a dominant force are a simplified approach in his transition offense. If he can learn to work more give and goes where he defers the puck in the nz and then hits a hole hard with his size and speed he will get a lot of chances.

He is also going to need to learn how to use his size to shield the puck effectively down low. Good thing for him is he will be learning from one of the best at this in Kopitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad