C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Yes. But conversely he's been too much man playing with kids, from here on it's not going to be like that anymore. Steamrolling through NHL defenses won't work the same even with that frame. He'll have more adjusting to do with Roberts & co. than many of his peers.

That's not true at all. The vast majority of Byfield's highlight reel is his skating, stickhandling, and vision. His size was icing on the cake, which is why he went #2.

Moreover, 6'5 220 lbs is f***ing big even in the NHL.

Reactions: dick341

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yes. But conversely he's been too much man playing with kids, from here on it's not going to be like that anymore. Steamrolling through NHL defenses won't work the same even with that frame. He'll have more adjusting to do with Roberts & co. than many of his peers.

I thought the big compliant was that he didn't steamroll through OHL defenders?

Regardless yes, that's one of the reasons I want him to at least start with NHL camp and hopefully a few games depending on the calendar, he's not going to learn how to play against men without playing pro.

Hell it might be good for his mentality and physical engagement to be out there with dudes who CAN take him down. But if he's already 6'5" 220, he's going to realize real fast he has an advantage here too that he can't snooze on and that he can hit people without killing them too.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Man weren't you in love with Stutzle before the draft lol?
Right, but Stutzle is a high end center prospect, so the Sens' C position is in fact, not donut shaped.

So I am saying both Sens and NYR have donut-shaped organizations when it comes to center and I'm saying a donut is circular.

That means they have a big hole in the middle, not a hole at the top. Stutzle is the possible 1C you guys are saying...I would also add that NYR has a 1C in his prime in Zibenajad.

But after that, there's a big drop in center quality until the 3/4 C. Top contender teams usually have multiple 1Cs/2Cs. That's a hole in the middle. And keep in mind, and exciting a 1C/W prospect as Stutzle (and Byfield) is, there's always a busting chance.

Then you take LA.

For veterans, we have Kopitar (not counting Carter, he seems done but maybe he can be a bottom six winger).
Here's the prospect pool:
1C prospects/youngsters - Vilardi, Byfield, Turcotte
2C prospects/youngsters - Thomas, Kupari, Madden
3C prospects/youngsters - Kempe, JAD, Andersson
4C prospects/youngsters - Lizotte, Dudas, Amadio

And these guys could move up or down or whatever. You could easily flip flop guys from 2 to 4C. The point is, there is a TON at each slot. This is less of a standard donut and more of an overflowing eclair...you bite into it and it will look like someone smashed you in the mouth with a chocolate cream pie or something.

Others - Eyssimont, Iafallo, Dergachyov, Moore (I'm leaving these guys out as I think they will either not be in the NHL or have transitioned to winger in the NHL or whatever reason I feel.)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Just a little shocked it fell completely silent is all when there were some...strong...opinions on him before

You're shocked that we lost interest in him once there was zero potential for him playing for our team? ;)

A lot of us liked Byfield, I'm not going to pretend otherwise now.

My attention to him has dropped to unprecedented levels for obvious reasons. Hopefully he plays at the WJC again.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
So I am saying both Sens and NYR have donut-shaped organizations when it comes to center and I'm saying a donut is circular.

That means they have a big hole in the middle, not a hole at the top. Stutzle is the possible 1C you guys are saying...I would also add that NYR has a 1C in his prime in Zibenajad.

But after that, there's a big drop in center quality until the 3/4 C. Top contender teams usually have multiple 1Cs/2Cs. That's a hole in the middle. And keep in mind, and exciting a 1C/W prospect as Stutzle (and Byfield) is, there's always a busting chance.
Sens also got Norris(was 4th in scoring in the AHL in his rookie season there) and Logan Brown as potential 1C/2C prospects, and Shane Pinto could develop into a 2C as well.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why? They’re not amazing but far better than what they have now (worst in the league AINEC)

If there's one thing our organization is good at, it's excellent third jerseys.

Unfortunately the working theory is Luc Robitaille is colorblind going all the way back to Hull so we're doomed to black and white for the forseeable future

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
If there's one thing our organization is good at, it's excellent third jerseys.

Unfortunately the working theory is Luc Robitaille is colorblind going all the way back to Hull so we're doomed to black and white for the forseeable future
I tell myself that he loved the Chevy Logo

upload_2020-10-16_14-55-59.jpeg

I wished they never switched from these gems

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Sens also got Norris(was 4th in scoring in the AHL in his rookie season there) and Logan Brown as potential 1C/2C prospects, and Shane Pinto could develop into a 2C as well.

Yes, I considered all of those in the equation, including NYR's guys like Filip Chytil. Those two organizations are considered the Kings rivals in terms of prospect depth but they are particularly light in the middle while the Kings are particularly heavy in the middle by comparison. Between farm and young players, Ottawa and NYR are very winger-heavy, much heavier than center, among other things (like LHD depth in Ottawa).

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I tell myself that he loved the Chevy Logo

View attachment 373086

I wished they never switched from these gems

I think you're on to something. Luc says that's the heyday to him...high flying with Gretzky, Blake and co...having unprecedented regular season success in the 3rd overall record in 1990? and the Final run in 1993. Until that time, to him back in 2008-ish, the Kings had no notable team success except when they wore the chevy logo and had Gretzky.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Then you take LA.

For veterans, we have Kopitar (not counting Carter, he seems done but maybe he can be a bottom six winger).
Here's the prospect pool:
1C prospects/youngsters - Vilardi, Byfield, Turcotte
2C prospects/youngsters - Thomas, Kupari, Madden
3C prospects/youngsters - Kempe, JAD, Andersson
4C prospects/youngsters - Lizotte, Dudas, Amadio

I wasn't planning on coming in here and posting, more just observing the on going conversation and I defintely didn't come here expecting to mention Logan Brown or Josh Norris but I'm here to ask how Thomas, Kupari and Madden are 2C but Norris or Brown are not.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I wasn't planning on coming in here and posting, more just observing the on going conversation and I defintely didn't come here expecting to mention Logan Brown or Josh Norris but I'm here to ask how Thomas, Kupari and Madden are 2C but Norris or Brown are not.

Who said they are not? (Ok re-reading what I wrote in your quote, I can see where you can think that. Apologies. I’ll try to re-word better here...there’s a big drop between Stutzle to Norris/Brown 2C level. From Norris/Brown level is not a big drop to the next level (that 3/4C level). Again awkwardly worded, my bad).

My point is, we have like nine guys who have a legit chance of being one of the two top-six caliber centers. You guys have three for two roles (Stutzle being the third) Counting only the 1 and 2s, it’s like 6 to 3.

Re: LA, people say we’re a bit thin on defense. It’s true and most Kings fans I think would agree. But that doesn’t mean we don’t have any quality LHD or RHD. Bjornfot, Roy, etc. We just don’t have a ton of them compared to the rest of our system, and slim on elite prospects.

And when we’re talking about LA, Ottawa and New York, we’re talking arguably the best pools in the league. Only having one or two decent prospects for a role, we can consider that somewhat light, compared to the strengths of each organization.

Last edited:

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Jaret Stoll is still part of the Kings organization, last time I checked...let's get him in there to start coaching. We got a million problems but future 1Cs is not one of them.
Byfield said in an interview that Stoll has already reached out to him. Byfield seems very dialled in on improving, he certainly knows this is just the start of the hard work.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
OHL looks to be moving towards enforcing no checking for this upcoming season. I think assigning Byfield to a decent pro league in Europe like Liiga or DEL would be ideal for this coming season . He still needs to work on his physical play and these are both quality pro leagues, which are pretty physical by European game standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad