C Quinn Finley - Madison Capitols, USHL (2022, 78th, NYI)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know he doesn't appear on lists at this point, but watch for this guy to rise up draft lists this upcoming season. Finley looks like the best American forward on the Hlinka team. He's exceptionally talented with the puck. He had a nice spinning assist today. Very good vision. His edge work is really impressive and his straight ahead speed is above-average. He's somewhere on that Zegras/Johnson type of forward tree. He probably isn't as good as those guys, but I think he could have a huge year with Chicago Steel this year as a top forward for them. He played a smaller role last season because they had so many big name prospects ahead of him. He was picked #1 in the USHL Futures Draft a year back, and showed some flashes of talent this season. What he needs to work on is getting stronger, and not playing so much on the perimeter. He's completely perimeter right now, and avoids contact.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Chicago picked him in the dispersal draft last season. With Madison scheduled to be back this year (at least without checking I thought they were) - my understanding was all the dispersal draft rights revert back to their original teams. Which means Finley would be on Madison, I could be wrong - but that was my understanding of how this process was to work.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This guy is seriously underrated. One of my favorite prospects in this draft. Reminds me a lot of Zegras with how slick he is with his distributing. Probably ends up a winger, needs to still get stronger, and same type of pace concerns as Zegras had, but I think he has some of the higher upside among players that won’t go round 1. He also has a good shot, along with the puck-handling/passing.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s not going to college for another 2 years ?

Don’t use EP’s college class projections - they are legitimately terrible. Wiscy has like a bazillion commits, not all are gonna make it to Madison. Colleges don’t firm up their classes until the spring and summer right before the actual fall class anyways, especially with the transfer portal now.

Chris Heisenberg is projecting a fall 2023 arrival in campus for Finley which is reasonable given he has only played 14 USHL games this year. It’s not impossible he arrives this fall either, we will just have to see how things shake out.

Reactions: wings5

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I updated the thread title to reflect that he's playing for Madison this season.

He's going to miss the All-American Prospect Game tomorrow. He's still injured. I think I was watching the game where he got injured. I suspect it's a concussion, although it's possible that it may be a shoulder or spine injury.

Some guy completely blindside hit him. It wasn't off the puck, but he was hit from the side to the head, so still a pretty dirty hit.

I've refined my comparison to Brendan Brisson from Zegras, but there are some still some similarities to Zegras. Probably not a center either. One thing he's really good at is tips in the slot. For a skill forward, thats a skill that not many of them have. Thats usually the type of skill for a grinder or power forward.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He has 5+5=10 points in 13 games so far in the playoffs. 6th among all players in total points, and first among draft eligibles. His team is in the final.

The injury I referenced months back has since been said to be a separated shoulder.

Reactions: Fenris

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Scott Wheeler asked 11 anonymous people that work in the USHL some version of who was the most underrated USHL draft eligible, and Finley was the most common answer. He was named 3 times.

Reactions: xECK29x

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Great pick. This guy is very underrated. He's a third rounder, so there's always a chance he's not an NHL'er, but I also think he has 1st line upside. Could be one of those steals of the draft that teams are wondering how they passed up a guy who scores a lot in the NHL.

lafellaesobar

Jun 10, 2022
Great pick. This guy is very underrated. He's a third rounder, so there's always a chance he's not an NHL'er, but I also think he has 1st line upside. Could be one of those steals of the draft that teams are wondering how they passed up a guy who scores a lot in the NHL.
what's his absolute floor you suppose?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would not be surprised if he sneaks his way onto the USA World Junior team in December.

He is very gifted offensively. This was the dude of the drafted USHL players this season whose game stood out the most to me this past season. He makes you notice him watching a game. He had that level of control over USHL games this past season. He reminds me a little of Zegras. Probably won't be as good, but he has skill, playmaking, and hockey sense in spades.

He was on a terrible team at the start of the season, and he was basically carrying them on his back. He often played on a line with Miko Matikka, who is a good player, but Finley was the driver between the two 100%. Didn't fare as well once traded to Chicago, but less ice time, smaller role, and it's difficult to adjust sometimes to a new team at the trade deadline.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Would not be surprised if he sneaks his way onto the USA World Junior team in December.

He is very gifted offensively. This was the dude of the drafted USHL players this season whose game stood out the most to me this past season. He makes you notice him watching a game. He had that level of control over USHL games this past season. He reminds me a little of Zegras. Probably won't be as good, but he has skill, playmaking, and hockey sense in spades.

He was on a terrible team at the start of the season, and he was basically carrying them on his back. He often played on a line with Miko Matikka, who is a good player, but Finley was the driver between the two 100%. Didn't fare as well once traded to Chicago, but less ice time, smaller role, and it's difficult to adjust sometimes to a new team at the trade deadline.
And he did.

Lowest drafted forward to make the team.

Reactions: SI90 and Kevin27NYI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad