C Philipp Kurashev, Quebec Remparts - 120th overall 2018

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There’s money in the Swiss league would be my assumption.

Exactly. Scandinavians or other Europeans don't have that option unless they're from Helsinki. They can't just go home and make lots of money while playing in front of massive crowds.
For years, nobody in Switzerland even cared about the NHL. It wasn't until Streit started to earn big contracts that most Swiss players want to become NHLers. Now most of them do but not everybody is prepared to go the extra mile like playing in minors/juniors. Kurashev was a punt and still is but really should have gone in the 2nd based on his talent.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The same thing actually happened to Denis Malgin who dropped down all the way to the 7th round. In my view just for being Swiss/Russian. That kid could be a legit top6 forward by now if they Cats don't sack Gallant. Rowe is a grade A moron and Boughner isn't much better. They ruined his development big time and so did this idiot Crawford when coaching him in Zurich.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think it has to do with how nice Switzerland is. And short travel. NLA is so close travel wise. They all speak English. I’m sure the money is solid

Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
In Switzerland everything is taxfree, players get paid better than in Sweden, Finland and some of them get more money from SUI than KHL and oh my, the country is so freaking beautiful everywhere. I highly recommend you visit there sometime.

Reactions: swissexpert

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
In Switzerland everything is taxfree, players get paid better than in Sweden, Finland and some of them get more money from SUI than KHL and oh my, the country is so freaking beautiful everywhere. I highly recommend you visit there sometime.

Exactly. And there is almost no travel involved playing there.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Taxfree? Man. That would be nice. But I fear that country doesn't exist amongst the one with a serious hockey league.

Last edited:
Reactions: migi

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Taxfree? Man. That would be nice. But I fear that country doesn't exist amongst the one with a serious hockey league.

There are several ex European superstars or players who once were potential NHL’ers. Easy life, get paid and enjoy it.

Rob Schremp was a superstar there. Like Damien Brunner.

The league isn’t imo in top-3 in Europe. But the country is rich and hockey is popular.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There are several ex European superstars or players who once were potential NHL’ers. Easy life, get paid and enjoy it.

Rob Schremp was a superstar there. Like Damien Brunner.

The league isn’t imo in top-3 in Europe. But the country is rich and hockey is popular.

It's nr.2 behind KHL. Scandinavian leagues lost a lot of ground...their best clubs all gone bankrupt or just about. Nobody cares about hockey, too so stadiums are empty. Finnish league is a complete joke now that Jokerit left. Our neighbours do care about hockey but their league's aren't anywhere near the NLA. They're making ground compared to the Scandinavians and eastern Europeans (except KHL) though. Without spectators there's no money and without money no quality. In terms of development the Scandinavians, and the Swedes in particular, are still Europe's nr.1 but apart from that that's not the case. If their players return to Europe they don't go home...they sign in the NLA or KHL. The Scandinavians biggest issue is depth. Have you ever watched Rögle or Örebro? Those clubs operate with zero money and they're a joke since years. Beer league lvl. They'd lose against every ECHL team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Any Colour You Like

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Another goal by Kurashev...that is 2 in the first period today for him against the Danes..4 goals and 5th point so far for him in the tornament!Can really fire the puck past goalies...

Last edited:
Reactions: clydesdale line

Rooh

GENERATIONAL TANK COMMANDER
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2017
Kurashev collects his fourth goal of the tournament, and second of this game.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Good for the kid and the hawks. A fourth round pick putting up numbers in the q and on the world junior stage.
Draft steal, a lot can happen but it looks really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad