C Philipp Kurashev, Quebec Remparts - 120th overall 2018

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Ranked #79 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM
Ranked #53 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS
Ranked #76 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #80 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #61 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #89 by TSN/McKenzie

Kurashev is an intriguing player with a lot of upside. Few prospects outside the first round will possess his combination of size, plus skill and intelligence. He’s a great playmaker with the instincts to create chances off the perimeter and has enough speed to generate a lot of clean entries. He can make high-level creative plays and can finish chances, too. His main issue is off the puck, as he’s not a very physical player whose effort isn’t always there in battles. I do think he understands how to play the center position competently though but will need to play harder to do so well as a pro. Kurashev didn’t have a fantastic 18-year-old season production-wise given his talent level, and I know that’s raised concerns among evaluators I’ve talked to over his consistency, especially with his effort levels already in question. -- Corey Pronman

The Swiss-born centre is skilled with the puck, who is a good three-zone player. He is quick with the puck – is able to extend his stick to control the puck out of his opponents reach and then pull it out away from coverage and lose his check. His playmaking abilities really stand out with quick little flips and pass to his teammates to generate offence in the zone and on the rush. He can move the puck around quickly on his stick and then do a quick pass all in one movement. He is able to put the puck where his teammate is going, or should be going – it shows his read of the play and the ability to get it where he wants it to go. -- Ryan Biech

Smart slick puck-handling centre with decent speed and East-West lateral agility. High hockey IQ and creative instincts as a passer. Sees and anticipates developing plays. Far from ready to be considered NHL worthy, as he has zero interest in getting dirty in physical games. But you cannot argue that he isn't a fine playmaker despite his lack of any grittiness or edge at this juncture. Needs plenty of work in the face-off circle, but I can see him as winger in his present playing style. -- Bill Plazcek

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Finally...a mid-size guy...6'0 and 192lbs ...a "giant"comparedc o the small guys we took earlier ..wow a 6 footer. . STAN ,how could you?

A Swiss kid playing in the Q ...and we all know how that goes...Hong to go back to Switzerland after exhausts Q eligibility because he probably wants higher payvat hone than in the AHL...could be a wasted pick if that happens. .

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Nice highlight package there. Older. Has some weight to go with being slightly taller than recent picks. Goes to the net. Plays the PP better than current Hawks, lol. Some nice finishes and passing there.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Finally...a mid-size guy...6'0 and 192lbs ...a "giant"comparedc o the small guys we took earlier ..wow a 6 footer. . STAN ,how could you?

A Swiss kid playing in the Q ...and we all know how that goes...Hong to go back to Switzerland after exhausts Q eligibility because he probably wants higher payvat hone than in the AHL...could be a wasted pick if that happens. .

My post seems to have disappeared so I'll give it a 2nd try.
You're right, the Swiss NLA is still too attractive, meaning similar to the KHL and the Russians, Swiss players tend to leave NA too early if they don't become an NHL regular right away. Swedes, Finns or other Europeans tend to stay longer and battle for spots in juniors, minors to eventually become NHL-players. NLA is much more convenient than AHL because the level is similar if not better, there's more money involved, the schedule is lighter and there's not much travelling involved. NLA has also Europe's highest attendance.
For those reasons, many NHL GM's (rightfully) still don't like to draft/sign Russian or Swiss born players. You just never know. They might leave at any time or might not come over at all. This, in my view, is the only reason why Kurashev fell this far.

Kurashev almost certainly has NHL potential so he's a steal in the 4th round despite the risk involved. 4th rounders don't often work out. Kurashev is loaded with talent so if he puts in the work needed instead of being happy with the money he could make in Russia or Switzerland then you got one heck of a player.

Reactions: hawksrule

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
NHL caliber shot that he doesn't use enough. He's acting like a playmaker and he's good at it but with his shot, he could score more goals than he did in the last two years. He started slow last season and it probably hurt his NHL rankings. After the WJC he came back really strong and produced at a higher pace. But a pneumonia near the end of the season left him worn down and he played little minutes in the playoffs.

There were talks he could play in NLA next season, he had offers, but he decided to go back to Quebec for a 3rd season.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Elite speed and acceleration.and first step ..Position versatility..can play LW or C...If a C he will get more assists than goals...vice versa if on the wing. .Has a great shot but at C trues to set up more..mom the wing would concept tate of shooting more..So it depends how the Hawks want vto development process him...good size 6'1 192 ...good on the boards ...projects for NHL as 20g-40 a player at C or could be 35g 25 a winger ceiling ...Good accurate shot and very good playmaker ....Very good face off win% (53%) ...Lots to like and remember Quebec Ramparts did not have a lot of talent for him as team-mate to play with. .would have had higher number if he had a McKinnon to play with on a line like Drouin had in juniors..but he had no such talented linemate. HIS BIGGEST FLAW: Defensive awareness /loses coverage because of a lack for reading the play and anticipating in the d-zone..BUT because he is so fast he can close fast and mitigate the defensive reads problem by getting back to check...the problem is that some guys gave an innate sense of how to play I the d-zone and are imposition before high danger chances occur...others only can react to where open guys get the puck ...he is more reactor now than anticipatory in thecd-zone..Can he learn to get better in the d-zone e by more development and experience?That is the question..If not then maybe asking him to be a C at the NHL level may be problematic. .If he can be one an NHL Centre then we got a steal at #120 here (he was projected to be a 40s -latec50s value on several lists )....so surprised a guy with his pro elite skating skills and offensive talent dropped this low. . BUT even if he cannot p.layvC at the next level if he cannot improve defensive awareness Then he still could be a to point goal scorer on the wing wherevtherebis less defensive responsibility that a good Centre must have..on the wing it requires less to learn to improve defensively ...IF that is the Cas he can be a top 6 LW with the added benefit of being able to handle face offs. .So an intriguing prospect ...the real point is. ..Elite top skater ...that is already half the battle to make it in the NHL ...I really like this pick .

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
upload_2018-12-27_22-52-17.jpeg

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Not surprised. Like I wrote here a few months ago...the talent is there. He just has to put the work in...and so far so good. Talentwise he's probably a late 1st or 2nd rounder. I totally expected him to go in the 2nd though. The reason why he didn't is nationality, or in his case nationalities...Swiss and Russians are the two nationalities you don't wanna draft as a GM.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Not surprised. Like I wrote here a few months ago...the talent is there. He just has to put the work in...and so far so good. Talentwise he's probably a 1st rounder or late 2nd. I totally expected him to go in the 2nd though. The reason why he didn't is nationality, or in his case nationalities...Swiss and Russians are the two nationalities you don't wanna draft as a GM.

lulz!, but true.

Kid looks like a pound the table steal.

Reactions: ray c

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Swiss and Russians are the two nationalities you don't wanna draft as a GM.

Why do you think it's not good for a GM to Draft Swiss players? Worked out pretty well for the Preds, Sharks, Devils etc....
We know russians have the KHL as backup league so it's more risky but what's the problem with swiss players?

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Why do you think it's not good for a GM to Draft Swiss players? Worked out pretty well for the Preds, Sharks, Devils etc....
We know russians have the KHL as backup league so it's more risky but what's the problem with swiss players?
There’s money in the Swiss league would be my assumption.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->