C Philip Tomasino - Niagara Icedogs, OHL (2019, 24th, NSH)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I saw him a few times last year, and he stood out considering his age. I am thinking he will build on this that this season, and claw his way into the 1st round. He was a puck hound who was always crashing and battling, and it was obvious he had a high skill level.

Reactions: ProspectsSTC

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Really like Tomasino, high skill, high compete. Has been a little off the radar in draft talk as Niagara was an older team last year and his opportunities weren't plentiful. But I do think he will. build off it and have a lot of success this year and be drafted 1st or 2nd round.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Played a good game tonight, but not spectacular. He seems pretty smart, and he had decent hands in tight. Reminded me a bit of Connor Brown in his earlier Erie days.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would love to grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round if he is available there.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
He is Jordan Kyrou V2.0

Offensively, there are some similarities for sure.

But Tomasino is a much better and more aggressive player without the puck than Kyrou was in his draft year. His perimeter tendencies were the main reason he fell to the 2nd round. But Tomasino is an extremely effective forechecker who constantly Hounds puck carriers. He also loves to crash the net and scores a lot of his goals from in tight.

I think Tomasino ultimately gets drafted higher than Kyrou did in his draft year.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Offensively, there are some similarities for sure.

But Tomasino is a much better and more aggressive player without the puck than Kyrou was in his draft year. His perimeter tendencies were the main reason he fell to the 2nd round. But Tomasino is an extremely effective forechecker who constantly Hounds puck carriers. He also loves to crash the net and scores a lot of his goals from in tight.

I think Tomasino ultimately gets drafted higher than Kyrou did in his draft year.

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
But Tomasino is an extremely effective forechecker who constantly Hounds puck carriers. He also loves to crash the net and scores a lot of his goals from in tight.
I have seen Tomasino described as "dynamic" and "thrilling." How is his skating?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I have seen Tomasino described as "dynamic" and "thrilling." How is his skating?

Terrific. His first few steps are explosive. By the time he leaves the OHL (through graduation), he'll no doubt be one of the league's elite skaters.

Best part of Tomasino's game is that he doesn't lose pace while carrying the puck. It's what makes him truly dynamic. Carries extremely well at top speed. Had one of the better test results at the TPG for this.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Terrific. His first few steps are explosive. By the time he leaves the OHL (through graduation), he'll no doubt be one of the league's elite skaters.

Best part of Tomasino's game is that he doesn't lose pace while carrying the puck. It's what makes him truly dynamic. Carries extremely well at top speed. Had one of the better test results at the TPG for this.
Screams great third liner imo. One of those defensively sound decent offensive third liners that has great speed. A guy in the Miles Wood mold but better.

Don't think he will ever have the offensive ability to be a full time top 6 guy, but still thinks he makes an NHL career.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Screams great third liner imo. One of those defensively sound decent offensive third liners that has great speed. A guy in the Miles Wood mold but better.

Don't think he will ever have the offensive ability to be a full time top 6 guy, but still thinks he makes an NHL career.
I’m really interested to see what you’re basing this comment on.

Not a superstar? Not an elite offensive player? Sure, I can buy that, it’s absolutely fair in the context of his body of work. But how do you watch him play and not see at least a damn decent shot at being a top-6 player for some NHL team...kid has serious vision and playmaking talent.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I’m really interested to see what you’re basing this comment on.

Not a superstar? Not an elite offensive player? Sure, I can buy that, it’s absolutely fair in the context of his body of work. But how do you watch him play and not see at least a damn decent shot at being a top-6 player for some NHL team...kid has serious vision and playmaking talent.
I'm not saying he can't be a top 6 NHL player. I mean some team he could maybe be a 40-50 point top 6 guy on a defensively sound team. But more likely than not he will be a good third liner. I just don't see his offensive game adapting to the NHL. Which is why I think he will still be a useful NHL player, just not an offensive one.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I'm not saying he can't be a top 6 NHL player. I mean some team he could maybe be a 40-50 point top 6 guy on a defensively sound team. But more likely than not he will be a good third liner. I just don't see his offensive game adapting to the NHL. Which is why I think he will still be a useful NHL player, just not an offensive one.
Okay, that’s fair, thanks for explaining your viewpoint.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Curious as to why you see that? Don't like his shot? Skating? Passing and Playmaking? Size?

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I doubt Tomasino goes first round, like it has been said above, there's not enough offensive upside.

Would be ecstatic if he was there when the Oil pick in the 2nd round. Doubt it happens though. I think he goes around the 20 spot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's a typical early 2nd round pick, imo. Thomas, who has better tools and produced more went 51, there's no reason for this dude to go 20.

He’s bigger and faster. I also disagree with your earlier comment that he lacks offensive upside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->