C Philip Tomasino - Niagara Icedogs, OHL (2019, 24th, NSH)

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Boldy could be, but Tomasino certainly looks like he can be more than that.

He now has 10 points in 3 games with Oshawa....Is that right? I had to do a double take when I saw it.

I’ve long thought Tomasino could be 1C or first line winger and secondary faceoff guy. And I’d say he was underrated and fell further in the draft than he should have. I actually think Id prefer him to Cozens. Crazy right? But if his recent form is anything to go by, this kids going to be a stud. I think he will follow in the footsteps of Barzal, Necas, Chytil, Bemstrom and Aho as relative steals of their respective drafts. All or most are guys who should have top 6 careers but whom will all probably be capable of attaining 1st line studdom.

Tomasino is going to be an NHL Star. Book it. Just not sure which position he will end up at. If I had to guess now I’d say wing, but that could easily change.

couldn’t agree more with the bolded. I’d also take Pelletier over cozens among many others

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Please detail precisely what this sentiment is based on and the scope of the viewings it draws from.
I don’t think Cozens has the hockey sense, hands or dynamic ability to be more than 2nd/3rd line(leaning towards 3rd) tweener at the NHL Level. I believe Tomasino and Pelletier will be higher impact players

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I don’t think Cozens has the hockey sense, hands or dynamic ability to be more than 2nd/3rd line(leaning towards 3rd) tweener at the NHL Level. I believe Tomasino and Pelletier will be higher impact players
That’s a fair enough opinion. His hockey sense and hands get criminally underrated because he’s not a hold-the-puck playmaker, IMO. In terms of dynamism, he takes on and beats defenders one-on-one far more than Tomasino or Pelletier, and his shot is on a completely different level.

He plays a simple, responsible, heavy, fast game. He was drafted to be a very good 2C and I struggle to see how he doesn’t reach that. I can see how one might say Tomasino or Pelletier have the higher first-line potential, but as an avid CHL watcher, I take Cozens at the draft and today by a comfortable margin.

Anyhow, in regards to Tomasino, I had him around 12-13 before the draft and ahead of Boldy. He has done nothing but build upon a draft year that saw him tilt his development curve straight upwards. Predators fans were justifiably excited at the draft and should be ecstatic right now, as should Caps fans with McMichael. These are guys with two-way acumen who have absolutely lit the league on fire as the focal points of their teams. I am a fan of Poulin, but I wish my Pens had chosen one of the OHL boys, now more than ever.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I was very high on Tomasino at the draft and going into this season. I had him pegged to break 90 points (or score at that pace), but now I’m seeing that even that was underrating him. Could easily finish with 110-120 while being a good 200 foot player

Reactions: Dominance

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
What kind of NHL Upside we talking here? PPG potential? Best Preds offensive forward in history??
What kind of NHL Upside we talking here? PPG potential? Best Preds offensive forward in history??
I’m anticipating a similar track to Morgan Frost. It’ll all depend on development and role, he has all the tools to be a first line superstar but he’s not going to walk into the NHL and immediately be a stud.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Did the Predators finally draft an offensive stud? At the centre position, no less?
Easy Easy Easy...Preds fans have learned not to be over reactive and it was only reinforced after the endless threads on Tolvanen. We have a long way to go before we can start calling anyone a stud. He is fun to watch though.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Islanders got a gem. So glad he was sitting there and the organizations biggest need was Potential top6 centers.

it’s only 1 year post draft so still early but the islanders might regret this one

Reactions: brakeyawself

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
PPG D+1

Not a sure fire method to predict success, but Tomasino is in good company.

Marner 2.03
Strome 1.98
Frost 1.67
Suzuki 1.56

McMichael 2.18
Tomasino 1.73

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Islanders got a gem. So glad he was sitting there and the organizations biggest need was Potential top6 centers.

it’s only 1 year post draft so still early but the islanders might regret this one

I think they already do. he shouldn't have lasted til 24. Thought for sure Pittsburgh or Ottawa would pick him up.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think they already do. he shouldn't have lasted til 24. Thought for sure Pittsburgh or Ottawa would pick him up.

we have to see what becomes of Holmstrom first but the early results are showing Tomisino was the exact player we’re looking for. He’s a couple years away but he has top6 center potential.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
If you're a Preds fan hoping he becomes the "offensive force at centre you've been looking for"... Well you have Johansen and Duchene, of which are both fully capable of hitting 75+ points with their skill... Realistically his ceiling now is about that level of player, but maybe he's a harder working player than either of them.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I'm bumping this because Boldy has really picked up his play lately (14 points in his last 13 games)

Right now which prospect would you rather have

Philip Tomasino or Matt Boldy?

I am high on both players but this is still Boldy, though it is close. Tomasino should've gone top 15 at the draft but Boldy's ceiling remains slightly higher at this time, y'know, as long as they keep him as a winger.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If you're a Preds fan hoping he becomes the "offensive force at centre you've been looking for"... Well you have Johansen and Duchene, of which are both fully capable of hitting 75+ points with their skill... Realistically his ceiling now is about that level of player, but maybe he's a harder working player than either of them.

I'm 100 percent confident that Johansen and duchene never have, and never will, score 75 points in a season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm bumping this because Boldy has really picked up his play lately (14 points in his last 13 games)

Right now which prospect would you rather have

Philip Tomasino or Matt Boldy?

Worth noting that Boldy hasn’t really “upped his play” lately. He was still playing this well through the start of the season, it’s just that for whatever reason the points didn’t come then as they do now.

The last handful (3-5) of games they’ve put him with Newhook too which is an astronomical improvement over McBain and McPhee.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I would be shocked to see him in Nashville next year. What type of jump can he make as a 19 year old playing next season? I would think the benefit of another year wouldn't be as significant developmentally as it would be if he had another option in a more physical league.

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->