C Philip Tomasino - Niagara Icedogs, OHL (2019, 24th, NSH)

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Has "quietly" racked up 9 goals, 15 assists, 24 points already this season, in 12 games.
He will be worth a King's Ransom in picks and prospect right now. Niagara has to recoup some of the picks from last year. Live just outside St.Kitts they are on cable on the local channel. So being an OHL junkie I watch most games. Thomas will go as well for top dollar.
As far as my opinion, love the kids game. He could be a top 6 in the future for Nashville?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
For those who watch the OHL, does he play on the same line as Thomas? If so, who plays in which position?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
For those who watch the OHL, does he play on the same line as Thomas? If so, who plays in which position?

I take it Cap is Thomas , playing with Castleman and Lodnia
Tomasino is lining up with Doherty and Sopa
Tomasino and Sopa are 1,2 in scoring (up until today)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I saw him a few times last year, and he stood out considering his age. I am thinking he will build on this that this season, and claw his way into the 1st round. He was a puck hound who was always crashing and battling, and it was obvious he had a high skill level.

So I posted this last July, and Philip has only gotten better. 29 pts in 23 games for and underwhelming icedogs team that is one of the worst in the OHL offensively.

He looks better than Akil out there to me.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Hows his all around game looking this year? He got off to a great start but the team really blows outside of him and Thomas who likely don’t play together.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I think the Preds were even surprised by him at development camp. Glad to see him doing well. What is his likely path going forward? OHL for another season then AHL bound? Unless of course he can make the team...

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Hows his all around game looking this year? He got off to a great start but the team really blows outside of him and Thomas who likely don’t play together.

It’s hard to tell in the OHL to be honest. I can say, however, that he hustles back and seems to control his lanes. High IQ type.

He reminds me a bit of Barzal but with above average skating rather than elite skating. Tons of creativity and high end hands.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Other than a lull in late October/early November, he's been Niagara's most consistent player, him, Lodnia and Thomas are keeping the middling team competitive. Always hustles and always looking for ways to get open, he is back on track. I feel like he has another gear if he gets better support than Castleman and Sopa...

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
It’s hard to tell in the OHL to be honest. I can say, however, that he hustles back and seems to control his lanes. High IQ type.

He reminds me a bit of Barzal but with above average skating rather than elite skating. Tons of creativity and high end hands.

I see some similarities with Barzal but ultimately think Tomasino will be a bit different kind of player. I think he’s a better goal scorer than Barzal was coming out of the draft. Although Barzal has improved a good deal in that regard. I don’t think he’s quite as fast as Barzal either, butfew are. Also think To amino might end up putting on more weight than Barzal and use physicality more. Same height I think, but Tomasino looks to have more room to put on muscle.
I definitely think he will turn out to be a better NHL player than Akil Thomas and I don’t really think it will be close.

The thing I’m most unsure about is what his ultimate position will be. At times I think he’d be a better winger than Center ultimately. A secondary faceoff type winger with great goal scoring and playmaking. If that’s the case and he ends up at wing, I think he will be in the NHL sooner than if they want him to stick at Center. Which could really work out for Nashville as I think they need top 6 winger right now more than top 6 Center. Johanson and Duchene really do a good job centering the top two lines.
But I think Forsberg could use another high end player opposite him on the wing. Speaking of which, what the heck has happened to Tolvanen? Totally thought he’d be up permanently by now. He’s really dropped off the top prospect radar. Which is where I think Tomasino could take over. Kind of the route Necas is taking on Carolina. He could really be somthing special on a top line like that without pressure of being the main C. And then he and a Duchene could alternate center duties to their strengths. Taking pressure of Tomasino to be the main C, which I think would get him to the NHL faster.
Otherwise, if they want him to be the main Center, and not just filling in on some center duties like face offs, I think he will need at least one season in the AHL. Just my opinion.

Then Arvidson could move to the 2nd line with Johanson, where I honestly believe he’d be more suited. I think Arvy is a good player, a 60 point player which is great, but I think Tomasino could be better. Really I think that might be what Nashville lacks most now, line depth. Well that and an elite talent. As good as Duchene, Johanson, Arvy and even Forsberg are, I don’t think any of them are near elite. Forsberg probably closest but I still think he’s a tier or two below. I’d actually say Josi is probably their best player. He’s pretty elite when it comes to D men and he can drive the play also when needed. And I think Fabbro will eventually be a high production D. Then if Tolvanen ever finds his game again, he could round out that 2nd line and I think they’d be serious serious contenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominance

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The Gens are going to be a force next year. My guess is they will be the team selects to host the Mem cup so the string of trades before this one makes sense.

Tomasino is going to have some through the roof stats next year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->