C Philip Tomasino - Niagara Icedogs, OHL (2019, 24th, NSH)

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
So what's the low-down on this guy? He's shooting up everyone's rankings into the mid/late-teens it seems. Hadn't heard of him before recently.
They were talking about him on the radio and didnt hear where the stat was from ,but guess he has the highest points/60 min at even strength of the draft. Quite a bit more than guys ranked higher

Reactions: CanuckCity

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
This guy is gonna be a steal IMO. I think his production will explode next year like Haytin’s did this year. So fast and skilled

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
I have to be honest, I haven’t seen this player an awful lot. What I have seen of him in highlights though, has left me very impressed. I was hoping the Isles were going to draft him, and am disappointed we took holmstrom instead. I don’t want to act like I know better than Lou, but I can’t help but feel we might have been better of taking Tomasino. Maybe I’m wrong, and quite frankly, will be happy to say so in a few years, if Holstrom becomes a stud. In any event, is there anyone out there who has seen both of these prospects play, and has a definitive opinion, one way or another, as to who will be the better player? Thanks.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
I have to be honest, I haven’t seen this player an awful lot. What I have seen of him in highlights though, has left me very impressed. I was hoping the Isles were going to draft him, and am disappointed we took holmstrom instead. I don’t want to act like I know better than Lou, but I can’t help but feel we might have been better of taking Tomasino. Maybe I’m wrong, and quite frankly, will be happy to say so in a few years, if Holstrom becomes a stud. In any event, is there anyone out there who has seen both of these prospects play, and has a definitive opinion, one way or another, as to who will be the better player? Thanks.

Tomasino was the guy I wanted the Penguins to pick so I'm definitely not knocking him, but one thing I've noticed in the highlights I've seen is that he scores on a lot of breakaways. I'm wondering how well he does when it comes to cycling or when there isn't as much room to work with. He won't get as many chances to score off the rush in the NHL as he does in juniors. Could be that breakaways are more exciting so those were the clips that landed in the videos I've watched. Probably nothing to worry about but just something I noticed.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for this guy. Looks like he's about to have a huge year.

Great start for Tomasino. I was higher on him than where he went, great prospect! That said, I think there are a few sizeable grains of salt to go with all this. First, great junior stats is not an adequate indicator on their own, especially as the prospects are getting older. Second, this goes double for the stats from the first few weeks of the season, since there are a lot of new players, players in new roles, good players either away at their NHL camps, or just back and also adjusting... It's a bit of a mess.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Great start for Tomasino. I was higher on him than where he went, great prospect! That said, I think there are a few sizeable grains of salt to go with all this. First, great junior stats is not an adequate indicator on their own, especially as the prospects are getting older. Second, this goes double for the stats from the first few weeks of the season, since there are a lot of new players, players in new roles, good players either away at their NHL camps, or just back and also adjusting... It's a bit of a mess.
I agree with you to an extent, he is still a softer player, but you look at last year, he was horrible in October and didnt really begin to produce for the ice dogs until mid november. I think he's building on the great second half he had before the draft, finally figuring out how to maximize his teammates his IQ and his elite skating. I was really high on him too, I ranked him above Newhook along almost the same tier as Krebs.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
He is tied for OHL league lead with 2ppg, it's going to be fun to see him and Byfield duke it out all year. Nashville got themselves a major steal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad