C Philip Tomasino - Niagara Icedogs, OHL (2019, 24th, NSH)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think he’s a lot like Jordan Kyrou offensively. I have him ranked in the 20’s. He has great puck skills.
What is Kyrou's offensive upside ?

I don't like Tomasino's goalscoring at all, without that in the NHL you don't produce, unless you play with a great goalscorer and you're an above-average playmaker, is he an above average playmaker ? No ? Then is he going to produce offense because he's fast and makes great moves at full speed ? Essentialy he's gonna be Paul Byron.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What is Kyrou's offensive upside ?

I don't like Tomasino's goalscoring at all, without that in the NHL you don't produce, unless you play with a great goalscorer and you're an above-average playmaker, is he an above average playmaker ? No ? Then is he going to produce offense because he's fast and makes great moves at full speed ? Essentialy he's gonna be Paul Byron.

Well, I strongly disagree with that but that’s OK.

He’s someone I’m much higher on than the consensus. I think he will work his way into the late 1st eventually, but we will see.

This is what @Brock said about him in his recent piece, and I agree with a lot of it:

“After really thinking about it the last month or so, I've decided to move Tomasino to the top of my OHL draft list. His game has so many different layers to it. You've got an elite skater who plays with an infectious energy and has no fear on the ice. Impacts the game as a forechecker. Impacts the game as a puck carrier. Opens up space for his linemates when he doesn't have the puck. And I haven't even mentioned his hands and how skilled he is with the puck. He's playing with some pretty damn good OHL players and NHL prospects right now and on a lot of nights, he looks like the best of them...as a kid who won't turn 18 until after the draft. Yes, turnovers can be an issue. Yes, he needs to get stronger. Yes, his play in his own zone is inconsistent. But in a year where the OHL may not have a lottery selection, I think Tomasino possesses the most potential to be an impact NHL player and that's why I've continued to move him up my list.” (Brock Otten)

OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2019

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, I strongly disagree with that but that’s OK.

He’s someone I’m much higher on than the consensus. I think he will work his way into the late 1st eventually, but we will see.

This is what @Brock said about him in his recent piece, and I agree with a lot of it:

OHL Prospects: Midseason Media/Scout Poll for 2019
Notice there's no mention of his shooting ability or playmaking ability in there, I don't disagree with anything that's been said, to be fair.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Notice there's no mention of his shooting ability or playmaking ability in there, I don't disagree with anything that's been said, to be fair.

I think he has a good all-around offensive game and will push the play with his skating ability. Plus the kid back-checks and competes. He may not be a top playmaker or sniper right now, but he’s crafty + fast and I see room for growth.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think he has a good all-around offensive game and will push the play with his skating ability. Plus the kid back-checks and competes. He may not be a top playmaker or sniper right now, but he’s crafty + fast and I see room for growth.
I agree with you, he is all that you've said. But that means he has limited offensive upside. Find me a player that can be a top 6 player (Assuming on an average team, not the Habs :laugh:) with his tools. Limited goalscoring ability, he's good in tight, but I've yet to see him beat a goalie clean, and limited playmaking, too.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I agree with you, he is all that you've said. But that means he has limited offensive upside. Find me a player that can be a top 6 player (Assuming on an average team, not the Habs :laugh:) with his tools. Limited goalscoring ability, he's good in tight, but I've yet to see him beat a goalie clean, and limited playmaking, too.

I wouldn’t call it limited though.

I mean go back and read Larkin’s scouting report. I don’t think people considered him a high end playmaker or sniper.

But he was fast and competitive and smart. And look at what he is now. These kids are not finished products, they are 17. I like a lot of what Tomasino is now, and he is young and has room for growth. I think you are selling his offensive game short. The kid has a pretty good wrist shot and has 29 goals already. He’s pretty good at passing off the rush and changing speeds, and can become a better playmaker as he gets stronger on the puck and matures.

Ultimately I think you are being a bit overly critical here, but you are allowed to have a different opinion. I have him ranked like 22-25, so I’m not telling you he’s a slam dunk prospect or anything, but I find him as one of the more appealing guys towards the back of the first (along with Rees and Robertson).

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
3-3-6 in 5 playoff games so far.

Still getting no talk. Easily a 1st rounder for me.

Anyone who watches him have any comments?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Posted this on the Oilers board.

I love absolutely everything about his game. Blazing speed. Incredible hands. Insane vision. Nice shot. Right-handed.

His numbers are actually really impressive when you look at the context. He is 2nd in EV pts in the CHL, and 1st in EV goals, ahead of Dach, Cozens, and Krebs. This is also while being stuck behind Niagara's offensive starpower. I believe he usually plays on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit.

upload_2019-4-18_13-29-38-png.216901

Tomasino is the perfect example of a "modern NHL" player. Fast, skilled, and hockey IQ in spades. Tomasino isn't all skill either. He is a workhorse with a great attitude and work-ethic. He is great in all 3 zones and even leads the OHL is steals on the forecheck.

Whoever gets him is going to be very happy in few years. I can't wait to watch him at the U18s.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Posted this on the Oilers board.

I love absolutely everything about his game. Blazing speed. Incredible hands. Insane vision. Nice shot. Right-handed.

His numbers are actually really impressive when you look at the context. He is 2nd in EV pts in the CHL, and 1st in EV goals, ahead of Dach, Cozens, and Krebs. This is also while being stuck behind Niagara's offensive starpower. I believe he usually plays on the 3rd line and 2nd PP unit.

Tomasino is the perfect example of a "modern NHL" player. Fast, skilled, and hockey IQ in spades. Tomasino isn't all skill either. He is a workhorse with a great attitude and work-ethic. He is great in all 3 zones and even leads the OHL is steals on the forecheck.

Whoever gets him is going to be very happy in few years. I can't wait to watch him at the U18s.

Looking forward to watching him light-up the U18s.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Honest question for people who have seen both, how exactly does this guy compare to Connor McMichael? Both seem to have similar stats

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

you said tomasino was 1st in EV goals but that list you posted has legare ahead of him

hockey411

May 26, 2019
he didn't do anything until all the trades were made then they put him with certain guys to start getting him points, Funny how people only look at numbers,

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
he didn't do anything until all the trades were made then they put him with certain guys to start getting him points, Funny how people only look at numbers,

.....His overall production only got marginally better after the trades? And even then, it's not like he was playing with bad players at the start of the season (Ben Jones, Akil Thomas, Kirill Maksimov, Kyen Sopa, Ivan Lodnia)

Reactions: Dominance

hockey411

May 26, 2019
.....His overall production only got marginally better after the trades? And even then, it's not like he was playing with bad players at the start of the season (Ben Jones, Akil Thomas, Kirill Maksimov, Kyen Sopa, Ivan Lodnia)

games 21 to 40 is were all the points came, that's around the trades started happening. last 27 games under a point a game with a team that was able to score at will not impressed. watch his game close not just his speed, just like a bunch of other guys too much hype. I have watched a lot of footage of all the top 100 guys and have come to my own observations.

first 20 games had 13 points 4 assists came in one game,

next 10 games had 15 points in 10 games

next 10 games 17 points

next 10 games 9 points

next 10 games 11 points

next 7 games 5 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad