C Peyton Krebs - Winnipeg Ice, WHL (2019, 17th, VGK) | Trade to BUF

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
An excellent player, looks great every time I've seen him play despite having to do everything himself; the best 2-way forward in the draft. I expect he'll have a standout u18s.
I think Turcotte is better 2-way, which is why I'd have a hard time taking Krebs over Turcotte, who feels like a slightly better Krebs. But, he's the best 2-way of the 3 WHL centers.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I don't have a crystal ball or anything but I'll predict an annual ~25 goal, 65-70 point lw that brings fire, energy, and good play both ways.
He'll play center unless the team drafting him has too many at that position.

Reactions: Meeqs

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Kootenay is/has been terrible for some time. A good season for them is finishing 10 points out of the playoffs. Krebs, White, and McClennon are their only offensive threats, and the fact that he still put up the offensive stats he was able to bodes well in the future. Teams game planned around him all season, but he still found ways to score. Takes a special player to do that.

As mentioned previously, put him in Lethbridge’s top 6 and I expect he would have a very good chance at being the highest scoring WHL’er this year.

PP time with Henry, Ross, Elmer, Leschysysysysysyn, Addison, Bellerive? Hello 90+ points....
Thanks, that makes sense

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
How would you compare the level of his skating with Hughes, Cozens, and Zegras?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Okay so potential 1st line production here. Was wondering if he projected more as a secondary 50-60ish guy or if he could be more of a driver/point producer.

Ive only seem him in the prospects game & i was certainly impressed with his IQ. Was one of the better players out there I thought.

If the Canucks draft him he'd probably be a winger.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
The guy is effective offensively because he is so slippery and such a smart and fluid skater. His game is pretty much predicated on roaming the offensive end with and without the puck to open up space, and one of his greatest strengths is his intelligence to slip away from coverage or pull it away from his teammates. I really don’t agree with the comments that he’s a winger, he’d still be a great player but it would hamstring his style of play to some extent, and limit his great two-way game.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
This is something we've been discussing in reasonable detail on the Habs board - @NotProkofievian @G0bias @Mrb1p. Personally, I am not the most versed on the NTDP guys, having watched less than a dozen of their games. So I'm not confident in a cross-comparison in that direction.

However, I have watched an utter ****load of the WHL (and Victoria Grizzlies) last/this year - Krebs has every trait you want in a top 6 FW. The biggest question for me is whether he ends up at C or W.

I think fans tend to not put enough weight into how playing in an adverse situation affects a player. I mean a) it's boring to watch a bad team, and b) we collectively have a very "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Compare that to NHL teams - some of them obviously put a lot weight on extraneous circumstantial factors - see Ty Dellandrea.

At the end of the day, it's really tough to be the best player on a terrible team - and we see very few top prospects on said teams. Most of them are on decent-good teams, while very few top 10 picks come from bottom-feeder teams. And that makes enough sense. So it's a bit of a challenge for evaluators to place those types of guys, and that's what we are seeing with Krebs..

I think a lot of people respect Mark Edwards/HP's rankings the most, and they have Krebs as the top WHL FW right now...

I think it's a valid question to raise. Personally, I'd look at it on a case-by-case basis. Considering each case individually rather than painting a group with the same brush.

I've dinged some NTDP guys, to varying extents, for this reason. While others get more of a pass based on different standards like quality of linemates, deployment and offensive opportunities. The same way a player can experience the negative effects of playing on a garbage team, a player on a really good group can get buried and not benefit from same opportunities he would've gotten on a lesser lineup.

Krebs isn't a huge favourite on our board. A big reason, I think is we've been burned by promises of work ethic, CHaracter, fitness etc in the past so I can see why some would be reluctant or prefer other options. Personally, his IQ and skills have assuaged most of the concerns I might've had regarding his ceiling. I have others ahead because I'm not certain he's a center down the road but I think he'd be really good value at our pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: covfefe

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Point/Marner hybrid. He's top 3 for me in this draft. Hugely underrated due to his horrendous team. Highest Iq in the draft, 2nd best passer/playmaker and very competitive. He's going to be a complete player.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If Oil can't snag one of the top 2 or Byram/Turcotte/Dach I'd take Krebs over Cozens I think.

Cozens fits our team better on paper but he's prone to overhandling the puck, and has some IQ issues imo. Krebs is a pretty safe prospect and would be a great fit as our 2lw. He might not have the raw upside of others in this draft but he's a pretty safe bet to be at least an NHL'er and we can't really develop prospects so I prefer Krebs to guys that are a bit of a project like Cozens and Zegras.

Reactions: Llamamoto

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'd take him over Cozens as well.

I've got Krebs at 6/7 after the Kakko, Hughes, Turcotte, Dach, and Byram.

Not sure who I like more between him and Zegras. What are all of your thoughts?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Its a shame Savoie
Absolutely insane how bad his junior team appears on paper. As a 17/18 year old, he outscored the closest player (a 20 year old) by 16 points.

It's a shame that Savoie didn't get exceptional status because they could have made a great pair next season.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
What hate? Most of the talk in the thread seems positive compared to other prospects

Outside the thread I've seen a lot of criticism and people saying he won't succeed at the NHL level and is a floater (despite carrying one of the worst teams in the CHL) and is barely a first rounder. From what I've seen.

Reactions: Nabrules

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->