C Otto Stenberg - Frölunda HC J18, J18 Region (2023, 25th, STL)

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Maybe this thread needs a bump. Stenberg was supposedly very dominant, scoring 7 points in 3 games in last weeks triple header Sweden vs Finland. Any posters that can give us more info on his game? I didn't get to see him play last season.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
- Strong skater
- Exceptional hands and puck control
- Exceptional hockey sense
- Very successful along the boards, twisting and turning
- Very good playmaker
- Back-checked hard, although defensive game was mediocre
- Played Gretzky position on the man advantage. He set up his teammates constantly from behind the net
- Won many important face-offs

Would be shocked if he doesn't represent Sweden at the U18 Worlds as an underager. Let's hope he continues his fine development. Sweden needs to produce more quality centers. With Stenberg (and Dower-Nilsson) among the 05-born

Last edited:

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
- Strong skater
- Exceptional hands and puck control
- Exceptional hockey sense
- Very successful along the boards, twisting and turning
- Very good playmaker
- Back-checked hard, although defensive game probably still can use fine tuning
- Played Gretzky position on the man advantage. He set up his teammates constantly from behind the net
- Won many important face-offs

Would be shocked if he doesn't represent Sweden at the U18 Worlds as an underager. Let's hope he continues his fine development. Sweden needs to produce more quality centers. With Stenberg (and Dower-Nilsson) among the 05-born and then this wonderkid born -06 that is supposedly on Sedin/Sundin type of level at the same age, things are looking a bit brighter.

That sounds indeed promising. Let's hope he keeps it up. As you say, Sweden really lack development of quality centers. It's quite tiresome seeing all Swedish national teams putting the creative players on the wing and a very limited but "responsible"player as center. Whom is this 06-born center?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Whom is this 06-born center?

Alexander Zetterberg, Medelpad/Timrå. I have yet to see him play myself (will do so during tv-pucken), but supposedly the best u16 player in Sweden since Robert Nilsson and/or the Sedins according to scouts and youth team coaches I have corresponded with. Has been destroying various u13/u14/u15 leagues and played vs players two years older. So, I guess we’ll see what the hype is all about soon.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Alexander Zetterberg, Medelpad/Timrå. I have yet to see him play myself (will do so during tv-pucken), but supposedly the best u16 player in Sweden since Robert Nilsson and/or the Sedins according to scouts and youth team coaches I have corresponded with. Has been destroying various u13/u14/u15 leagues and played vs players two years older. So, I guess we’ll see what the hype is all about soon.

OK, that will be interesting. Hope he becomes a bit taller than his brother, whom probably won't be that much taller than 173 cm. Aren't they related to Henrik somehow?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
OK, that will be interesting. Hope he becomes a bit taller than his brother, whom probably won't be that much taller than 173 cm. Aren't they related to Henrik somehow?

asked several people and all I heard was “no” or “don’t think so”. Still not convinced though. I mean freaking Njurunda, everyone ought to be related

I think Alexander’s/Adrian’s height data (at least at EP) is a year old, but yeah…some growing would not hurt I guess.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
asked several people and all I heard was “no” or “don’t think so”. Still not convinced though. I mean freaking Njurunda, everyone ought to be related

I think Alexander’s/Adrian’s height data (at least at EP) is a year old, but yeah…some growing would not hurt I guess.

Yes, how many Zetterbergs can there be in Njurunda??
Anyways, back to topic. I'm excited to see Stenberg play this season. Do you think he'll get some games with Frölunda J20 too? Their roster don't seem that strong this year, no?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Yes, how many Zetterbergs can there be in Njurunda??
Anyways, back to topic. I'm excited to see Stenberg play this season. Do you think he'll get some games with Frölunda J20 too? Their roster don't seem that strong this year, no?

judging by his play here, he should get key-minutes with the u20 team. If he does not start with the U20, he’ll work his way up for sure. I would not be surprised to see an SHL game or two during or after the world juniors. Frölunda likes to give their top youngsters a feel for the ”big show” early.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

My viewings of Zetterberg are limited but he's a fun player to watch. Similar to William Nylander at the same age but far better compete level. Tiny though.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Alexander's father is Henrik Zetterberg's cousin.

Actually, this ("first cousin, removed") proved to be incorrect. I got hold of him and asked him the question. There is some distant relationship between him and Henrik, but he did actually not know himself exactly how, lol. He knew for sure that neither of his parents are cousins with Hank Z. The mystery thickens... :naughty:

Last edited:

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Actually, this ("first cousin, removed") proved to be incorrect. I got hold of him and asked him the question. There is some distant relationship between him and Henrik, but he did actually not know himself exactly how, lol. He knew for sure that neither of his parents are cousins with Hank Z. The mystery thickens... :naughty:

A bit of a mystery. But reasonable that they actually are related somehow. Did you ask him how tall he is now? :) Looking forward to see him play in TV-pucken.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
A bit of a mystery. But reasonable that they actually are related somehow. Did you ask him how tall he is now? :) Looking forward to see him play in TV-pucken.

Lol, I thought of it afterwards, but forgot. The TV-puck roster should be up soon at Swehockey, hopefully they'll have up to date numbers (most teams have).

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Just finnished watching a couple of these games and I can only agree. Really strong showing by Stenberg. Looked more explosive than I remembered, played with great pace and showed really good decision making in tight spaces. Most of all I love his compete level, he'll go far if he can maintain that. Really set the tone for his line. We'll see him with the U18 NT for sure.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Promoted to the top line alongside Dower Nilsson, & Persson. Which is good and bad, bad because he'll play on the wing.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Promoted to the top line alongside Dower Nilsson, & Persson. Which is good and bad, bad because he'll play on the wing.

In many ways, he feels like a true winger. Although I personally would like him to develop into a quality center seeing how poor Sweden's depth at center is. Interesting to see when he gets a shot in the SHL. Best -05 in the country along with Mr. Dvorsky.

Reactions: hellwar9

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Scores two, and an assist as well, in his first game back after being injured. 10 goals in 11 games, 14 points in total.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
His production is impressive . I wonder if he can eventually contend for a top 5 or top 3 selection in the draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad