C Olivers Murnieks - HK Mogo, Latvia (2026 Draft)

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I'm just connecting the dots here. There were rumours about him moving to the US, he was drafted by Sioux City, there really are no other options left in the States.

It doesn't mean that it's confirmed, but it's likely.
I understand, with this draft though, it’s more about recruitment than it is anything, the earlier selections are more likely to report, look at Gabriel Eliasson for example. As you get late in the draft, those picks are more “flyers” where teams take talented players that they have no idea would report they’re just talented so it’s worth the risk at that point in the draft.

I’m just pointing out, if he was as talented as we think he is, and was going to play in the US like you say, he would have went MUCH higher in the draft.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
So, as expected, Murnieks got drafted in the USHL draft and will be moving overseas next season. Looks like it's going to be the Sioux City Musketeers.

Looking at the rates of point production for U17 players in the USHL, you would expect at least around 0.75 ppg for Murnieks over the course of the next season for him to remain a top 10 pick in 2026.
1) He was drafted late so Sioux will definitely try to get him over, but that doesn't mean that he is interested.

2) Never use the average point production for a league as a barometer for a player playing their first season overseas. A rough transition at 16 wouldn't necessarily mean anything for his draft position.

It's a different league but Timo Meier only put up 34 points in his first season in North America, but the skills were evident. Year 2 (his draft year), he started to show his full skillset and went 9th.

Reactions: hellwar9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad