RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We need an offensive dman to further build the teams future foundation, that said If for so,e reason he’s there at 7 , we are taking him, and load up our future fire power.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As much as we need a dman,

Horvat-Boeser
Pettersson-Wahlstrom

With Virtanen, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu etc filling out the wings is a great future.
The only concern I have is that Gradin, Canuck's head European scout said that he thinks Petterson could be a winger in the NHL level. If that's the case, the Canucks either need to hope that Gaudette develops into a scoring C or that they need to get another C prospect.

I like Wahlstrom as he's a goal scorer, but selecting him means that the team truly believes that Petterson will be a C in the NHL.

Right now, I would leans towards Wahlstrom over Tkachuk if both were available at #7. I think Wahlstrom has higher offensive upside, with Tkachuk being more physical. If Brady is very similar to his brother Matthew, then he's a guy you would peg as the 3rd best offensive option, like Matt is with Calgary behind Gaudreau who is a top level scorer and Monahan who is a legit #1 C. I think Wahlstrom has the skill set to be a team's #2 offensive weapon.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How does Wahlstrom compare to Owen Tippett as a prospect?

I think very similar, actually.

I know a lot of people will always give preference to newer prospects. The new prospect is always better than the prospect they are comparable to from a recent draft, but I think it would be very hard to pick one over the other.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Looks like Wahlstrom plays more of an individual game than Boeser. Boeser is very much a team player its why he transitioned to the NHL so seamlessly.

Haven't seen Wahlstrom's full games myself but judging by that shift by shift I could see the faster skating/lower IQ Boeser comp with Wahlstrom.

If Wahlstrom is a lower IQ Boeser, I can't even imagine the disappointment Tkachuk lovers would face. Wahlstrom has much better hockey IQ than Brady Tkachuk.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think very similar, actually.

I know a lot of people will always give preference to newer prospects. The new prospect is always better than the prospect they are comparable to from a recent draft, but I think it would be very hard to pick one over the other.

I have not seen a single scouting report that has questioned Wahlstrom's hockey sense and vision, whereas Tippett had a lot of reports saying he had tunnel vision, making his comparable Evander Kane, and IMO, rightly so.

Would you say Wahlstrom is similar to Evander Kane?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have not seen a single scouting report that has questioned Wahlstrom's hockey sense and vision, whereas Tippett had a lot of reports saying he had tunnel vision, making his comparable Evander Kane, and IMO, rightly so.

I don't know about certain scouting reports, but I have questioned his hockey sense and passing many times.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I don't know about certain scouting reports, but I have questioned his hockey sense and passing many times.

If you've questioned his hockey sense I don't even want to know your opinion on Tkachuk. If Tkachuk had average hockey IQ, Wahlstrom would be a super genius in that category, that's the difference between them...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Is Wahlstrom gonna stay the entire 4 years @ Harvard or will he just jump to the big leagues if he makes it?

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Is Wahlstrom gonna stay the entire 4 years @ Harvard or will he just jump to the big leagues if he makes it?
he's now committed to Boston College. Said he wants to make the NHL asap, so I would think he plays there for his +1 year and then probably make the jump.

Jan 21, 2018
Does Wahlstrom have the highest point upside in the draft aside from Svechnikov? Anyone else with higher potential strictly points only?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

This.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I read somewhere he’s looking to do one year and then make the jump to the pros. Does that seem realistic?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats to the Isles and their long suffering fans. Wahlstrom and Dobson are two top line/pairing talents that New York just somehow snagged outside the top 10. And Wahlstrom will be in a perfect position to become a 35-40 goal scorer as Barzal's wing going forward.

Reactions: Matias Maccete
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad