RW Oliver Wahlstrom - Boston College, NCAA (2018, 11th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
looks exactly like Laine and Ovi most of their regular season and even playoff games. Snipers are cerebral, more concerned with finding open ice when the team gets the puck over what to do without the puck...what they are able to do is the most important aspect of the game, scoring goals.
Old Ovi, yes. Young Ovi? The guy was trying to kill people on the forecheck.

Reactions: HOPE

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Old Ovi, yes. Young Ovi? The guy was trying to kill people on the forecheck.
well last 5-6 years of Ovi has made many a highlight reel of GIFs on the photoshop thread lol! and I love the dude, need players to not be overall great players, these guys are like your pure homerun hitters batting at a .225 clip lol!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
well last 5-6 years of Ovi has made many a highlight reel of GIFs on the photoshop thread lol! and I love the dude, need players to not be overall great players, these guys are like your pure homerun hitters batting at a .225 clip lol!
Lets hope they know how to draw a walk, as that's all that counteracts that.

On a more serious note. Wahlstrom is good, and he is good at finding soft spots and shooting, but I do with he played with more compete such as Boeser. Who is similar to the two guys you mentioned.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I also see alot of Brock Boeser when i watch Oliver.

Crazy to think that Wahlstrom is being talked about in top 5 and Boeser went 23

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Wahlstrom is a better skating lower IQ Boeser.

If this is true then i wouldnt pick Wahlstrom in top 5.

I would much rather have iq over a skill like skating. Skating can be enhanced and taught, IQ is more difficult to obtain later on in a career.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Very torn over Wahlstrom. I think he will be one of the best players out of this draft, but I think that the Canucks have to take one of Dobson, Bouchard Hughes, or Boqvist. The thought of Boesser, Pettersson, and Wahlstrom on the PP is scary.

Reactions: SI90

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Wahlstrom is a better skating lower IQ Boeser.

If this is true then i wouldnt pick Wahlstrom in top 5.

I would much rather have iq over a skill like skating. Skating can be enhanced and taught, IQ is more difficult to obtain later on in a career.

Scouting reports may point out Wahlstrom's tendency to float or will ask for a higher compete level, but I've yet to seen one that actually questions his hockey sense/IQ. And I think it's pretty apparent from tape that Wahlstrom is *not* a low-IQ player.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Scouting reports may point out Wahlstrom's tendency to float or will ask for a higher compete level, but I've yet to seen one that actually questions his hockey sense/IQ. And I think it's pretty apparent from tape that Wahlstrom is *not* a low-IQ player.

I never said he had bad IQ. All i said is that its lower than Boesers. I dont think that can be argued. Boeser's skating is below average and he can score 40 purely because he knows where to be and what plays to make in the offensive zone. Wahlstrom wont touch Boeser's freshman season next year. Lets see what he can do first.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I never said he had bad IQ. All i said is that its lower than Boesers. I dont think that can be argued. Boeser's skating is below average and he can score 40 purely because he knows where to be and what plays to make in the offensive zone. Wahlstrom wont touch Boeser's freshman season next year. Lets see what he can do first.

My assessment only, but I think whatever gap there may be between Boeser's and Wahlstrom's hockey sense as prospects (and it's not a big gap) is balanced out by the gap in skating between them.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
My assessment only, but I think whatever gap there may be between Boeser's and Wahlstrom's hockey sense as prospects (and it's not a big gap) is balanced out by the gap in skating between them.
plus Wahlstrom is WAYYYYY more physical of a player, think of a guy like Hossa who will use that body to create space for himself, or an Ovi who will have massive open ice hits...Wahlstrom does all of that with Boeser level snipping skills and as said a better skater. Boeser and Wahlstrom are very comparable players overall still. And I don't see Boeser being a better positional player or "smarter on ice" than Wahlstrom - Boeser was blessed to be a part of one of the bets lines in all of hockey as a freshman, I doubt Wall E will be as lucky. Boeser has improved each and every year all around, he is going to be a great NHLer (hell he already is).

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
This may mean Walsh or Giles may have to wait a year. Only one senior leaving and too many forwards coming in.

Will this benefit or hurt McBain? He's a forward just like Giles and Walsh, and Wahlstrom is ranked higher than McBain. If BC is only losing one player, and there's a crop of forwards coming in then player development could be hurt, no?

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Thats just the type of forward he is not him being lazy or disengagrd. Like boeser and laine he's a predatory sniper. They lurk in the shadows, find the open ice, and finish. Thats their game.

Although with his speed and physicality it sounds like he might be more in the mould of a tarasenko/ovie type.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
im going to be very sad when the rangers take him
I’d love him and I can see him being there at our pick. I’d prefer a defenseman due to it being the more important position and next years draft is great on forwards but a RHS sniper would be an insane fit. I’m torn but I’ll be happy with whoever we draft at 9 (unless it’s Smith/Bouchard)

Marshmont63

Jun 22, 2016
The Heights
Will this benefit or hurt McBain? He's a forward just like Giles and Walsh, and Wahlstrom is ranked higher than McBain. If BC is only losing one player, and there's a crop of forwards coming in then player development could be hurt, no?
Shouldn't hurt him at all. McBain is a center and Wahlstrom is a winger. McBain's not going to be better than Julius Mattila. It's a question of whether he can beat out Aapeli Rasanen for #2 center. BC lines could look something like this:

Hutsko - Mattila - Wahlstrom
Cotton - Rasanen - McPhee
Brown - McBain - Dudek
Tortora - McLaughlin - Grando

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Looks like Wahlstrom plays more of an individual game than Boeser. Boeser is very much a team player its why he transitioned to the NHL so seamlessly.

Haven't seen Wahlstrom's full games myself but judging by that shift by shift I could see the faster skating/lower IQ Boeser comp with Wahlstrom.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I know we already have Boeser... is it being greedy to also want Wahlstrom?
Man this guys posting is getting worse and worse. Trying to be cute gets annoying yeah we want two good goal scorers and hopefully both work out, got it :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad