C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 2nd, PHI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
In 3 years, it will start becoming clear that Casey Mittlestadt was the best player taken in this draft.

Lmao. Riiiiiiiggght.

20171011_130809.png

Reactions: 99664987

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I mean, Middlestadt looks good, but in 3 years he'll be ranked pretty much exactly where he was drafted in terms of rankings from the 17 draft

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't know how I feel about his usage to be honest. 13 minutes a game... I'm really impartial at this point. I kind of wonder if sending him back down would be a better option than to have him playing a third line checking role. I don't know personality wise how he is but watching keller getting top line minutes must be deflating for him.

Yeah, I'm sure it's killing him. :laugh:

Reactions: 99664987

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't know how I feel about his usage to be honest. 13 minutes a game... I'm really impartial at this point. I kind of wonder if sending him back down would be a better option than to have him playing a third line checking role. I don't know personality wise how he is but watching keller getting top line minutes must be deflating for him.
It's 2017... 3rd line doesn't mean a checking role.

He's spending a lot of time in the offensive zone and playing with Konecny, who has been fantastic this year (despite his points not reflecting that).

The proper way to think of it is he's in a middle six secondary scoring role.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
People get way too caught up with line labels that are becoming more and more outdated as teams switch to a balanced top 9 approach.

Last year with the Leafs it was almost impossibe to label the Leafs lines 1 through 3. There was a clear 4th line, and then 3 lines with balanced talent and varied usage (and fairly equal ice-time at Even Strength). Matthews made whatever line he's on this year the 1st line, but you really can't say which is the 2nd or 3rd between Marleau-Kadri-Komarov and JVR-Bozak-Marner. The era of your 3rd line being your go to shut down line filled with grinders is becoming outdated on a lot of teams.

If Patrick continues to play well, he will force the issue and his ice time will rise, but currently easing him into it and playing him with Konecny allows them to get a bit easier match-ups at home and grow togeather.

Reactions: My3Sons

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I wonder if Leafs would be the best example here. Kadri's line certainly was the "shutdown third line matched vs opposing 1st lines" even though it's got more scoring than most would. Bozak's also would be the "easiest matchup"-line which would generally be second line here(matching vs third line).

As for Patrick, I've been mildly impressed by his play, though the difference is very clear to Hischier. At this point, I have to wonder if he has a second gear. Hope so.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I wonder if Leafs would be the best example here. Kadri's line certainly was the "shutdown third line matched vs opposing 1st lines" even though it's got more scoring than most would. Bozak's also would be the "easiest matchup"-line which would generally be second line here(matching vs third line).

As for Patrick, I've been mildly impressed by his play, though the difference is very clear to Hischier. At this point, I have to wonder if he has a second gear. Hope so.

Again, he is coming off of surgery where he did not train most of the summer. THAT MATTERS. Then look that he had a very similar surgery to what Giroux and Ghost had last summer. They were not the same skater this past year due to that surgery. This year, both are much better in their skating.

If Patrick remains healthy most of this year, gets 30-50 points and MOST importantly, ends the year healthy, that will be a fine year for him. Him being able to train all next summer will be an important step in becoming the player he can be.

As it is, he already does so many little things right that can help win games. He seems to always be in the right position, is good defensively, great passes, great shot, etc... He just needs that offseason of hard training and TIME to recover from a surgery that seems to stay with you for a year.

And hey, he has 1g+1a=2pts in 4 games and +3. Not bad considering all those games were on the road and against Anaheim, LA, SJ and Nashville. Not exactly an easy bunch of games.

Reactions: brokenhole

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
Yes, I think next season will be the time to really form an opinion on Patrick's game and his potential production assuming he has a healthy off-season. His skating and conditioning currently isn't where I think it will be in a year, but he already seems to be moving better than what I saw from him in the pre-season. The point about Giroux and Ghost is valid, especially Ghost. He's really flying around again and I think is going to put up some nice numbers this season.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Patrick reminds me alot of Paul Stastny. has a better shot though. Should be a great match up centef defensively and can shift momentum with his headiness and smart steady play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->