C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 2nd, PHI) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How did Patrick look in his first game?

Stat line showed 13:30 of ice time with 3 shots.

Nearly sniped one early on an odd-man rush.

Made 2 or 3 beautiful passes.

Good on draws and defensively responsible.

Solid debut.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Yep! With just a handful of preseason games we now know that Hischeir is 100% be the best player from this draft. C'mon, lets wait a season.
Sure, I'm all for waiting before proclaiming who the best player is. I was just replying to the poster who proclaimed Patrick to be the best player in the draft with another name that has just as much claim to be the best.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Sure, I'm all for waiting before proclaiming who the best player is. I was just replying to the poster who proclaimed Patrick to be the best player in the draft with another name that has just as much claim to be the best.

At least that poster mentioned a caveat, which could definitely prove to be Patrick's downfall. You did not. Just 100%

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How has he looked?

Like he belongs. Defensively sound, some great passes and a couple of nice shots.

So far Hakstol has not been helping him though... his line has been getting virtually no OZ draws and because other teams are ignoring the Filppula line he is getting 2nd toughest matchups.

Moving Giroux back to C would help... though the G-Couturier-Voracek line has been really good, but it bombs our C depth. Filppula should be at LW.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm surprised at the comments here. I'd say he's been more or less what I expected.

He's shown some great offensive IQ and instincts, but unlike others, I haven't been at all impressed by his defensive play. His foot speed is a bit of a problem, he's not too strong on his stick, and he's looked a bit lost a few times (noticed this mostly in preseason).

But all of that is to be expected - it's not much of an indication of what he projects to become, as his skating / strength and defensive IQ should both improve. But as of today I would consider him a below average defender. Luckily he's got no shortage of effort, which is one of the most important things for me when evaluating young, highly touted centers.

I see a lot Sean Monahan in his game, but he's got better vision and brings a physical edge that Monahan doesn't, making him more successful along the offensive boards. I think we'll see a Monahan type progression for him, especially in his 2 way game. Monahan has gotten better every year in that aspect, taking a pretty big jump last year under Gulutzan.

Does 15g 40p seem like a reasonable forecast for this season?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I'm surprised at the comments here. I'd say he's been more or less what I expected.

He's shown some great offensive IQ and instincts, but unlike others, I haven't been at all impressed by his defensive play. His foot speed is a bit of a problem, he's not too strong on his stick, and he's looked a bit lost a few times (noticed this mostly in preseason).

But all of that is to be expected - it's not much of an indication of what he projects to become, as his skating / strength and defensive IQ should both improve. But as of today I would consider him a below average defender. Luckily he's got no shortage of effort, which is one of the most important things for me when evaluating young, highly touted centers.

I see a lot Sean Monahan in his game, but he's got better vision and brings a physical edge that Monahan doesn't, making him more successful along the offensive boards. I think we'll see a Monahan type progression for him, especially in his 2 way game. Monahan has gotten better every year in that aspect, taking a pretty big jump last year under Gulutzan.

Too low. I expect him to score 55+ points, with at least 20 goals

Reactions: 99664987

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Too low. I expect him to score 55+ points, with at least 20 goals
You consider Patrick to be a better rookie than Eichel?

In my opinion, nothing Patrick has shown at the NHL level points towards an Eichel-like rookie season. I think that even 40 points would be on the high end. I think that point totals in between 30 and 40 points would be much more likely.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
You consider Patrick to be a better rookie than Eichel?

In my opinion, nothing Patrick has shown at the NHL level points towards an Eichel-like rookie season. I think that even 40 points would be on the high end. I think that point totals in between 30 and 40 points would be much more likely.
Doh! I thought I was replying to a Hischier thread :) No, I don't expect Patrick to score 55+ points but 45 isn't out of the question.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
35-40 points assuming Hakstol makes life easier for him by moving Giroux back to C.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Agree about his foot speed (which I expected), but his defensive play has been very good.

Reactions: Foggy14

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's not going to put up numbers if he stays getting the ice-time he got the first two games, although, due to his off-season they may be playing him into game shape. I expect a Sean Monahan type rookie year, maybe fewer goals and more assists. Monahan's line was 22 goals, 12 assists, 34 points and 16 minutes a game in 75 games played. If given similar minutes, I'd think that is achievable for Patrick, he also should have the better supporting cast.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
He's not going to put up numbers if he stays getting the ice-time he got the first two games, although, due to his off-season they may be playing him into game shape. I expect a Sean Monahan type rookie year, maybe fewer goals and more assists. Monahan's line was 22 goals, 12 assists, 34 points and 16 minutes a game in 75 games played. If given similar minutes, I'd think that is achievable for Patrick, he also should have the better supporting cast.
14 minutes a game isn't nothing, especially with pp time

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

It’s not nothing but he’s facing tough competition right now with Giroux being on the wing along with Couturier & Voracek. Him & his line went primarily up against Carter, Toffoli, & Pearson line last night & pretty much spent most of the time without the puck there.

He’s not really ready for that type of usage right now & it’s showing.

Reactions: Kitten Mittens

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It will be tough to break 40 points with that amount of ice-time (less than 15 minutes). It's been done by guys like Kevin Hayes, Matthew Tkachuk, Duclair, Marchand, and Mike Hoffman in recent years.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I don't know how I feel about his usage to be honest. 13 minutes a game... I'm really impartial at this point. I kind of wonder if sending him back down would be a better option than to have him playing a third line checking role. I don't know personality wise how he is but watching keller getting top line minutes must be deflating for him.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->