C Noah Östlund - Djurgardens IF J20, J20 Nationell (2022, 16th, BUF)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Interested in hearing more as well. His scoring rate in J20 (1.5 PPG) is basically unmatched in recent memory for an U17 player (more than Raymond, Holt, Eklund…everybody) but then you realize that A) it’s a small sample this year and B) a guy like Raymond at that age had already had a much more dominant performance at the U18 worlds and had made his SHL debut. Compared to the Raymond, Holtz, Eklund level players he doesn’t seem to have taken as prominent of a role on international junior teams or SHL level at the same age.

Assuming he will be playing in the SHL this year though if he’s this highly thought of. I was assuming he was more along the Rosen/Lysell level of prospect but that’s exciting if he’s potentially another high lottery pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: MBH

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Drafting Europe just named him the top prospect out of Europe for 2022.
Anyone got info?

I thought he had a really nice write-up in the 2021 Black Book.

They noted his high skill level, willingness to battle/compete despite being smaller, and said his two-way game is "flawless". They also really liked his hockey sense.

I think he could end up being drafted fairly high, depending on what type of season he has. Could be a good option for Detroit if they end up drafting 5-10 range, yet again.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Interested in hearing more as well. His scoring rate in J20 (1.5 PPG) is basically unmatched in recent memory for an U17 player (more than Raymond, Holt, Eklund…everybody) but then you realize that A) it’s a small sample this year and B) a guy like Raymond at that age had already had a much more dominant performance at the U18 worlds and had made his SHL debut. Compared to the Raymond, Holtz, Eklund level players he doesn’t seem to have taken as prominent of a role on international junior teams or SHL level at the same age.

Assuming he will be playing in the SHL this year though if he’s this highly thought of. I was assuming he was more along the Rosen/Lysell level of prospect but that’s exciting if he’s potentially another high lottery pick.

I'd say he's definitely a better prospect than Holtz. Possibly Raymond too. He's a more complete player offensively. He will never disappear during a game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd say he's definitely a better prospect than Holtz. Possibly Raymond too. He's a more complete player offensively. Drives the play and he'll never disappear during a game.

Wow, that high on him? Good to hear.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Wow high praise and I’ve definitely not know you as one to hype up prospects. Maybe you are also just down on Holtz and Raymond :laugh:

Well partly. Holtz has never been a favorite of mine. I like Raymond a lot but I don't see him carrying a top line in the NHL. Not saying Östlund will either, but has that potential I think.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
They noted his high skill level, willingness to battle/compete despite being smaller, and said his two-way game is "flawless".
Yeah, watching him, his two-way game reminds me of Peyton Krebs at the same age. High IQ, very good skater, dangerous with the puck, and just everywhere. Always there to make a play in the offensive zone, and then somehow always there to make a stop in the defensive zone.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
well if he is that good, then he should be on wjc team in december?

Probably not. Many recent top 10 picks (William Nylander, William Eklund, Elias Pettersson, Simon Edvinsson etc.) did not play at the WJC after their Hlinka tournaments. Good player ≠ Good prospect. He's lacking things like physical maturity and experience playing at higher levels..

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'd say he's definitely a better prospect than Holtz. Possibly Raymond too. He's a more complete player offensively. He will never disappear during a game.

Yeah...no.

This is based off my viewing of him in the last two Hlinka games, but he is not a better prospect than Holtz or Raymond or Eklund.

I'm not saying that as a slight on this kid, but Ostlund is not as good a skater as any of them, nor is he as good offensively. The kid does have a ton of skill and I think he'll be a first round pick in the 2022 draft but I don't know if he's going top 10 or if he's going 20 or later.

I do like him as a prospect, though. Very hard worker and very competitive. Creative in the offensive zone with good passing. Very strong defensively but needs to work on his faceoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I watched Sweden’s game against Germany very closely. I don’t claim I know the whole Swedish crop that well, but Oestlund was the best player on the ice by a mile and I think he looks like the best Swede for the 2022 draft.

Elite hockey sense. If there are any forwards in the upcoming draft with better hockey sense, I’d like to know who. Great two way game. Plays with a lot of energy. Good skater, skilled, and creates a lot of scoring chances with his activity in the offensive zone. Reminds me of a cross between Rossi and Bordeleau. I’d suggest he may be a top 10-15 pick.

I will try to focus more on assessing Oestlund in upcoming months, but I think he’s one of my early favorite players in this draft.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I watched Sweden’s game against Germany very closely. I don’t claim I know the whole Swedish crop that well, but Oestlund was the best player on the ice by a mile and I think he looks like the best Swede for the 2022 draft.

Elite hockey sense. If there are any forwards in the upcoming draft with better hockey sense, I’d like to know who. Great two way game. Plays with a lot of energy. Good skater, skilled, and creates a lot of scoring chances with his activity in the offensive zone. Reminds me of a cross between Rossi and Bordeleau. I’d suggest he may be a top 10-15 pick.

I will try to focus more on assessing Oestlund in upcoming months, but I think he’s one of my early favorite players in this draft.
How would you compare him to Eklund?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

That’s another similar player. Hard to say anything too exact of who might be better. I’ve seen Oestlund a few times with the U18’s, and he barely played. Wasn’t that effective. Now he looks great. I would need to watch more games from Oestlund, but a similar range to Eklund is possible from what I see. Oestlund is also a center. Eklund a winger. That’ll help his value compared to Eklund.

The reason I said Rossi because he hunts the puck like Rossi does. He wants to always win it back, and is very aggressive doing so for a smaller player. The reason I said Bordeleau is because I see the rest of his game as similar to Bordeleau with skating and offensive tools. His hockey sense might be better than both though. Another similarity could be Turcotte, although Turcotte is bigger and a little faster.

Just my early impression though. The Swedish posters likely know better than I do.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Something to remember when gauging prospects at Hlinka is: it's August. And this Hlinka is extra special because these kids haven't played a game in 8 months(the Swedish ones at least).

Will be fun to see how they play halfway through the upcoming season, and at the U18s, when they're more up to speed.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Different styles. Ostlund is more physical, IMO. Eklund has this ability to avoid getting hit at the last second that only the best players in the league tend to have. Ostlund doesn't mind getting hit and will take one to make a play.

Eklund is also a much better skater overall. Better edges, better top speed. That's not to say that Ostlund is bad, but it's a notable difference.

I think Eklund and Ostlund are both really gifted passers. It's hard to tell which one is better but I'd lean towards Eklund right now.

Shooting, hard to tell. I've seen highlights of Ostlund having a really good release on his shot but Eklund's shot was near the top of the 2021 draft.

Sweden plays against Slovakia today at the Hlinka so that will be a good opportunity to watch Ostlund, Ohgren, Rudslatt, Odelius and Bystedt play. (In my opinion Sweden's top players at the Hlinka)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Different styles. Ostlund is more physical, IMO. Eklund has this ability to avoid getting hit at the last second that only the best players in the league tend to have. Ostlund doesn't mind getting hit and will take one to make a play.

Eklund is also a much better skater overall. Better edges, better top speed. That's not to say that Ostlund is bad, but it's a notable difference.

I think Eklund and Ostlund are both really gifted passers. It's hard to tell which one is better but I'd lean towards Eklund right now.

Shooting, hard to tell. I've seen highlights of Ostlund having a really good release on his shot but Eklund's shot was near the top of the 2021 draft.

Sweden plays against Slovakia today at the Hlinka so that will be a good opportunity to watch Ostlund, Ohgren, Rudslatt, Odelius and Bystedt play. (In my opinion Sweden's top players at the Hlinka)

Disagree with pretty much everything. Eklund is not a better skater than Östlund. He's also not a better shooter. Shot and top speed, those are Eklunds biggest weaknesses.

Swedens best players have been Lekkerimäki, Öhgren and Östlund imo. Salomonsson and Odelius have been fine too. Bystedt has been very disappointing.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Disagree with pretty much everything here. Eklund is not a better skater than Östlund. He's also not a better shooter. Shot and top speed, those are Eklunds biggest weaknesses.

Swedens best players have been Lekkerimäki, Öhgren and Östlund imo. Bystedt has been very disappointing.

Eklund was one of the top shooters of the 2021 draft. Amazing wrist shot, amazing one timer, incredible release. If you think that is a weakness of his game then I honestly don't know what to tell you.

And having watched the last two games I am not seeing blazing top end speed or supreme agility and evasiveness out of Ostlund. He's above average for his age group. Eklund was well above average in terms of speed and has elite agility. If you think those were his biggest weaknesses then I think you're really underrating Eklund.

In regards to Bystedt, he's been inconsistent offensively but he has been a go-to guy for Sweden defensively. In the games against Germany and USA he was tenacious on defense and the other teams weren't able to get much offense going with him on the ice.

I like Lekkerimaki but he hasn't been driving play on his line with Carlsson and Ostlund. He's had a few pretty nice chances but he's been too passive.

Reactions: Hobnobs and james12

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
This guy is legit, watching him against Slovakia, he (and his line) completely neutralized Slafkovsky, Mesar and Repcik when they weren’t on the PP. He’s gonna be a high pick next year

I really like his defensive game and how he's willing to fight for the puck in the tough areas of the ice as a smaller player. I'm trying to think of a recent draft comparable and I keep going back to 2017 Lias Andersson. (Who at the time was projected as a top 15 pick and went 7th overall)

I hope that there's more to his game than Lias, though. From what I can see Ostlund is a better skater than Andersson at the same stage.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

what do you see in rudslatt? i dont know much about him. his dad was a pretty good player.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
what do you see in rudslatt? i dont know much about him. his dad was a pretty good player.

Very hard worker. A couple of the shifts he had against Germany and USA he had them locked in the corners with him. He also has shown some pretty good speed on the forecheck and plays fairly gritty. There's a little PJ Axelsson in his game.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Very hard worker. A couple of the shifts he had against Germany and USA he had them locked in the corners with him. He also has shown some pretty good speed on the forecheck and plays fairly gritty. There's a little PJ Axelsson in his game.

could he gnab a spot on the upcoming wjc team in december? as a hardworking 4th liner perhaps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->