C Nikita Pavlychev - Penn State Univ., NCAA (2015, 197th, PIT; unsigned)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Like Emilio-Pettersen , he's one of those players scoring more than he ever did in the USHL, strange.

Reactions: teddygmr

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Like Emilio-Pettersen , he's one of those players scoring more than he ever did in the USHL, strange.
USHL is a pretty defensive league. Tolvanen went from being a ppg there to being .73 ppg in the KHL. Plus it's been several years

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’ve seen this guy before, I’m a big penn state football fan, then I saw that had 2 good Russians on their hockey team in Pavlychev and Smirnov. Hope they can end up having good NHL careers.

What's his all round play like? We've noticed the way his stats are heading on the Pens forums and we've read the scouting reports, so we're beginning to get a tad excited at the prospect of gigantic defensively responsible centre with actual skill, but it'd be nice to get a fresher report.

Reactions: teddygmr

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
What's his all round play like? We've noticed the way his stats are heading on the Pens forums and we've read the scouting reports, so we're beginning to get a tad excited at the prospect of gigantic defensively responsible centre with actual skill, but it'd be nice to get a fresher report.
Idk if I can do that haha, but I’ll give ya what I know a little bit of. Hes big, and has a very good 200 foot game. Great at finishing his body checks (Probably due to his size haha), probably a future #1 PK guy, and nice chippy centerman who can get those greasey goals, but also has some skill on his stick as well. Maybe a good comparison is Nick Bjugstad which would be solid for a late Round Pick like himself.

Reactions: Peat

KristichBabych

Jun 15, 2018
2 goals , one assist today...Unsigned by Pittsburgh...He is getting better and better...Does he is fast? When he was draft, the scouts says he was a good skater for is size...Can Pittsburgh sign him at the end of the season or he is free agent(I think they have 3 years to sign him after the draft)? A kind of Bryan Boyle if everytingh turn good or a player with less offensive talent? For now, he is not the same player than at his start in the NCAA, he is way better...

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Pens could sign him after his NCAA season is done rather than take the risk that he completes his Senior year then becomes a UFA in August of 2020.
Currently, 14 players on the Penguins roster played in the NCAA so they clearly appreciate the development a College player receives!

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I have had the opportunity to see him play live twice this season so far. Being a Penguin fan, I’ve watched him pretty closely. He is clearly the best center on the team and his size makes him very difficult to deal with. Penn State is currently 1st in the league in Faceoff percentage, so he’s been solid in that department. Not a flashy player, but has decently hockey IQ and knows how to utilize his strengths. He has made some really great strides since I watched him last season and it really shows on the score sheet. He doesn’t seem to have the upside of his teammate Evan Barrett (Chicago draft pick) but a center his size is hard to find. He could be a good bottom-six guy. I would like to see him utilize his frame to be more physical.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Was hoping for a step forward for him production wise. I imagine he'll still get an offer from the Pens, his size makes him intriguing.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Was hoping for a step forward for him production wise. I imagine he'll still get an offer from the Pens, his size makes him intriguing.

It's tough when you're playing 3rd and 4th line minutes. Especially as a senior. Penn State kind of did him dirty, but they have to play guys like Barratt who's playing well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad