C Nikita Alexandrov (2019, 62nd, STL)

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
1g and 1a in his las two games. His ice time has gone up from 10 minutes to 18. Go figure production goes up with that.

The Lean Bergmann

Oct 21, 2020
Germany
Nikita's season in Finland is over. KooKoo lost against Ilves Tampere in the first playoff round with 6:4 goals (they played two games).

He played 28 regular season games plus 2 playoff games.

He scored three goals and six assists. Most of the time he was part of the 3rd and 4th line. Maybe 4 or 5 games on the 1st line.

Tilastot | #74 Aleksandrov, Nikita | Liiga

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He is russian. Just like Barkov who chose to turn his back on his people.
I understand, he’s got duel citizenship and wanted to play for the more competitive nation. Just like Heatley before him. Just the fact he was developed through the German system makes it odd.
Seeing a last name like “Alexandrov” would look weird for a German anyway :laugh:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I understand, he’s got duel citizenship and wanted to play for the more competitive nation. Just like Heatley before him. Just the fact he was developed through the German system makes it odd.
Seeing a last name like “Alexandrov” would look weird for a German anyway :laugh:
Not weirder than Zverew or Özil anyway.

And Kölzig IIRC went through NA development and still represented Germany.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It is and should be an individual decision. Some make the decision based on how they feel, if they have strong feelings for one of the countries they could represent. If Alexandrov feels a stronger connection to Russia then it would not make much sense to play for Germany.
Others may make the decision based more on pragmatism. If they are not good enough to play for the better team, they'll fall back to playing for the weaker team. Or if they are good enough to play for either country they choose the stronger one.
You will always have situations where you wish that a player had chosen "your country" to represent, but I could never get upset with the players who makes a different choice.
I would also have love to see Alex Ciernik represent Germany instead of Slovakia, but that's the way it goes.

I am pretty sure fans in Poland would like players like Borzecki, Rutkowski, Dziambor, Szuber or Bettahar to play for Poland instead of Germany. But at least at the junior level they are/have been playing for us.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

Actually the most interesting thing about this situation is that he hasn't got dual citizenship (as then he wouldn't be able to represent Russia by IIHF rules), so yeah, he was born and raised in Germany, but never accepted it's citizenship.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Actually the most interesting thing about this situation is that he hasn't got dual citizenship (as then he wouldn't be able to represent Russia by IIHF rules), so yeah, he was born and raised in Germany, but never accepted it's citizenship.
Didn’t know this, thanks for the info. Very weird indeed.

Reactions: Caser

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
It is and should be an individual decision. Some make the decision based on how they feel, if they have strong feelings for one of the countries they could represent. If Alexandrov feels a stronger connection to Russia then it would not make much sense to play for Germany.
Others may make the decision based more on pragmatism. If they are not good enough to play for the better team, they'll fall back to playing for the weaker team. Or if they are good enough to play for either country they choose the stronger one.
You will always have situations where you wish that a player had chosen "your country" to represent, but I could never get upset with the players who makes a different choice.
I would also have love to see Alex Ciernik represent Germany instead of Slovakia, but that's the way it goes.

I am pretty sure fans in Poland would like players like Borzecki, Rutkowski, Dziambor, Szuber or Bettahar to play for Poland instead of Germany. But at least at the junior level they are/have been playing for us.
Indeed. Players will choose the nation that feels represents them the most or they feel most connected to. I wish Matthew Knies represented Slovakia, and i am sure Ukrainians hoped Myklukha would stick with Ukraine. Czechs im sure would be welcome to have Peterka on their team.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Debuted in the NHL.
He played very well too in limited minutes. Not sure he is ready for the NHL full time (could probably use a little more AHL time) but he looked like a guy who belonged. Think he will have a legit NHL career...really smart player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad