C Nico Hischier - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2017, 1st, NJD) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Hischier with another snipe. His overall game just keeps improving. I think he will be a superstar.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The big story is that he is learning how to use his body more and is becoming a lot tougher to push off the puck. His strength has noticeably improved since the season began. He reminds me of a teenage version of Patrice Bergeron, just a complete and exciting 200 foot player in only his 2nd season on North American ice. The sky is the limit for this kid

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
He needs to be on the PP with more skilled players. He's currently on the 2nd unit with the likes of Boyle and Noessen. They also play him on the left side which I think is a bad idea. He shoots left and would have more room to snipe if he was coming off the right circle. He still managed to hit a short side post though. He hits 70-80 points next full season, book it.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Hall plays over him on the top PP unit. Completely different roles.

Yeah cause you can't adapt your PP to fit a much better player. Especially when you've got Maroon for net presence and garbage goals already. I mean, most of the year they were rolling BOYLE and ZAJAC together instead of Nico. Why do you need two big guys out there? if at least they're good at screening and redirecting pucks, but that's not the case.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Kid has elite written all over him and to think this is his first year in the NHL.

Has been a god send. Fits perfectly with Hall too and has elevated his play even more with games meaning a lot down the stretch to make the playoffs

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Watched the game last night, Hischier is terrific. I would be surprised if he doesn't have a big breakout year next year. He has about everything you want in a player. I've always known he was a good skater but I still get constantly surprised at how quick and smooth he actually is. The quickness in his first few steps buys him so much time and space out there.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I posted this on the Devils board, but his season is being downplayed due to lack of power play production. If he was getting more power play time the narrative around him would be different for sure.

The only D+1 rookies since 00-01 to score 43 or more even strength points are Patrick Kane (44), Jeff Skinner (45), Nathan MacKinnon (46), Auston Matthews (48), Patrik Laine (50), and Sidney Crosby (53). Only 21 rookies have hit that number at all in that time span. It's very possible Hischier ends up with around 47 or 48 even strength points this season.

Hischier has by far the fewest power play points of any of those guys right now. If he even produced on the power play at the same rate MacKinnon did, who is 2nd worst, he'd have around 15 power play points and 58 total points right now in 75 games.

Reactions: VoidCreature

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Hall plays over him on the top PP unit. Completely different roles.
No, Zajac is playing over him. Hischier is a center. IDC about face offs when Zajac seemingly losses many of them when on the PP and is pretty much useless on the PP outside of that.

Yeah cause you can't adapt your PP to fit a much better player. Especially when you've got Maroon for net presence and garbage goals already. I mean, most of the year they were rolling BOYLE and ZAJAC together instead of Nico. Why do you need two big guys out there? if at least they're good at screening and redirecting pucks, but that's not the case.

Zajac isn't even a big guy. He's an inch taller than Hischier, if that, and is only about 10-15 lbs heavier.

Hischier should be on the top unit.

There is a reason the PP is so up and down and struggles more than it should, it's because of horrendous player usage.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
No, Zajac is playing over him. Hischier is a center. IDC about face offs when Zajac seemingly losses many of them when on the PP and is pretty much useless on the PP outside of that.

Zajac isn't even a big guy. He's an inch taller than Hischier, if that, and is only about 10-15 lbs heavier.

Hischier should be on the top unit.

There is a reason the PP is so up and down and struggles more than it should, it's because of horrendous player usage.
That's not how power plays work. Zajac isn't there to take faceoffs he's there as a pivot man in the high slot. The power play is inconsistent because of entries.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Seriously, he's a monster.
It's a shame he won't have a calder chance without the PP points.
But after all, he's playing for team success not individual points or awards, it's very clear to see.

Developed into a true #1 NHL Center in his first year, can't ask for much more.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Here is something no one talk about and when you look at Nico and his slender build and boyish looks, you can understand why, but this kid is TOUGH, as nails. You'll see him hurting on the bench after a hit or bad spill or what have you, and sure enough, he'll be back out there going at it again on the next shift.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Here is something no one talk about and when you look at Nico and his slender build and boyish looks, you can understand why, but this kid is TOUGH, as nails. You'll see him hurting on the bench after a hit or bad spill or what have you, and sure enough, he'll be back out there going at it again on the next shift.

What's underrated too, at that weight,he's not afraid of anyone or going anywhere. He gets right back up after taking a big hit or falling down. He's played every single game this season as the #1C for pretty much every game(minus a couple on the road to get away from tough match ups against the Bruins, Kings, and Caps I think) for a team on the rise and looking to get into the playoffs.

The experience he is gaining in his first season will be so helpful going down the road. He's really really special especially as he fills out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->