C Nathan Noel (2016, 113rd, CHI; traded to PHI)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That's not true at all. You only have to look back to last years team with Max Becker who was a 10th grader and there've been many others since Sid. Noel is the first 15 year old since Emerson Etem to make the prep squad, though MacKinnon and Cammarata were certainly good enough a few years ago but stayed with the U16s.

I think he means first player who was born in his 10th grade year. Becker was born in 1995, he was supposed to be in grade 11 last year.

The last, as you said was Etem in 07-08 where he put up 13-15-28 in 58 games.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think he means first player who was born in his 10th grade year. Becker was born in 1995, he was supposed to be in grade 11 last year.

The last, as you said was Etem in 07-08 where he put up 13-15-28 in 58 games.

It all just depends on the situation. Guys like MacKinnon and Cammarata were much more deserving of being on the Prep squad over someone like Noel. Shattuck's U16 squad didn't have a lot of highly skilled guys last year and their top scorer - Ryan Tait - went to the USHL. A lot of top scorers on last year's prep squad also have graduated. They clearly need someone with skill so Noel got the call. It's a cool accomplishment for him but it's far too early to read into it at all. Lets see how he does at that level first.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002

I'm pretty positive that Toews at the very least was a 15 year old 10th grader considering he went to North Dakota as a young 17 year old and guys like Okposo, Esposito, Etem or even Jordy Murray were either in 9th or 10th grade for sure when they played at 15. The statement is wrong regardless of intention.

It's certainly a nice accomplishment but I just don't see the need to fabricate facts to force a Crosby comparison on Noel. Let him be judged on his own abilities.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm pretty positive that Toews at the very least was a 15 year old 10th grader considering he went to North Dakota as a young 17 year old and guys like Okposo, Esposito, Etem or even Jordy Murray were either in 9th or 10th grade for sure when they played at 15. The statement is wrong regardless of intention.

It's certainly a nice accomplishment but I just don't see the need to fabricate facts to force a Crosby comparison on Noel. Let him be judged on his own abilities.

Agreed, but there really was no Crosby comparison, as there shouldn't be, he was just going by what someone on his twitter had wrote to him.

To me, he is a top 2 prospect for the Q, and seems to have an inside track on number 1. He is not a big time prospect like Crosby, Toews, or even a guy like Mackinnon, but he should be a high (top 15) pick in the NHL if he continues to progress.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Good for Noel. I hope he does well at it.

in a more "long view" sense - he's a great player in what will be a competitive draft year. Ultimately, it will end up being what it is (draft wise) - but I hope he is able to use his time in Mn to play as competitively as he can - and also to start to get attention for himself (the same way our young, skilled friends in Ont. and BC. are getting!).

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I should say he's #18, btw.
Kind of hard to see though.
He's with #12 Anthony Petrella and #23 Alex Rodriguez and is officially listed as third line center.

Marty Brodeur's son Anthony is in net for SSM.

Edit: Has the go ahead goal after two periods of play.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Has anyone seen Noel play this season? He has 18 points in 21 games on the Shattuck prep team, which is extremely impressive considering he is the only 97 born on a team which includes players up to 94 birth dates.

I know only a handful of players have made the prep team at 15, and that they're household names now.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Has anyone seen Noel play this season? He has 18 points in 21 games on the Shattuck prep team, which is extremely impressive considering he is the only 97 born on a team which includes players up to 94 birth dates.

I know only a handful of players have made the prep team at 15, and that they're household names now.
I watched him three times via the stream I provided earlier, the Allstate exhibition game, and live at the US Nationals.
The streams are grainy, but I think I've gotten a feel for him now and he looks like he'll be a great player.
As some of the older comparisons said, he looks a bit like Nathan MacKinnon, as he's a great skater that plays really hard.
I remember one play in particular against Team Southwest where he grabbed the puck in the neutral zone and sped down the right wing, then turned on the extra gear and powered by the defenseman for a fantastic scoring chance.
It was a good display of his tools and was particularly impressive since he was playing against a bunch of 94's and 95's as a 97 and Minnesota high school hockey is the best in the United States.
He doesn't seem to get a whole lot of ice time, which is no surprise since he's so young, but he's looked good to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing what people who actually get to view him live on a semi-regular basis have to say.
It'd also be interesting to hear how the other big 97 name for the Q draft, Andrew Picco, has been doing.
I saw him last year at Nationals too, but haven't watched any of the webcasts.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
No, measured in at 5-10, 160 at Shattucks this year as a 15 year old. That is not huge, but is good size for someone that age.

OK that's good. I heard awhile ago that he was only 5-8 so it's great that he grew. If he keeps going at this pace, he could pan out to be 5-11 or 6-0.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Shattuck also said Taylor Cammarata was 5'9, 150 two years ago. What is he currently, two years later? 5'6, 160. Don't put much stock into Shattuck's "measurements."

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
On '97 on the Prep team at Shattuck.

...anyone who has seen him recently want to provide thoughts ... and where he might go in the Q draft?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
omfg...in reviewing this thread, i see that apparently i'm the only one who ever posts about this kid :facepalm:

...but does anyone from out east know where's he's ranking re the Q draft.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
omfg...in reviewing this thread, i see that apparently i'm the only one who ever posts about this kid :facepalm:

...but does anyone from out east know where's he's ranking re the Q draft.

Go to the QMJHL section and read the "When's the Q Draft" thread lol I assure you you're not the only one talking about him

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
picked 3rd by SJ? I'm assuming he's going to report?

anyone want to comment on him re development and where he projects re 2015 draft (obviously, premaure discussion).

i assume still top 10? .. is he top 5?

as an aside...how tall is he *really* right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad