C Morgan Frost (2017, 27th, PHI)

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Were the Flyers the only team that rated Frost so highly? It almost seems like they knew something no one else did when they traded Schenn for the Frost draft pick AND another 1st rounder next year.

62 pts in 67 games was okay, but no way first round numbers. And then just like that he now has 100pts in 60 games at age 18. Those are Top 5 pick numbers IMO.

Kind of reminds me of when they drafted Travis Sanheim in the first following a year where his stats were absolutely mediocre. Then he just exploded with production.

Great scouting, I guess.

He was signed, not drafted, but same thing happened to Myers as well. It's like the Flyer's scouts have a crystal ball that let's them see 12 months ahead for one player, every year.

Reactions: Striiker

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
He was signed, not drafted, but same thing happened to Myers as well. It's like the Flyer's scouts have a crystal ball that let's them see 12 months ahead for one player, every year.
Who besides Myers was signed but not drafted?

And for info on Frost draft ranking, Mackenzie had him at 35 so 27 wasnt much of a reach. Funny thing pick 35 became Ratcliffe ranked better than Frost.

Reactions: Acadien86

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
If you're talking Sanheim, he was drafted.

No, I'm talking Philippe Myers. He was undrafted.

Who besides Myers was signed but not drafted?

And for info on Frost draft ranking, Mackenzie had him at 35 so 27 wasnt much of a reach. Funny thing pick 35 became Ratcliffe ranked better than Frost.

My post might be phrased a bit confusingly. Myers is the only one who was undrafted, but my point is the Flyers, for the past few years, have been able to find guys just prior to major breakout years. Sanheim, then Myers, now Frost.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Just wondering - we saw a similar situation last year with Sam Steel. Put up ok numbers in his draft year, late first selection - explodes the D+1 season.

Now in his D+2 year he is having a "good" year but not quite as strong.

Looking for the similarities and differences between the players. Not trying to pull Frost's season down in any way just genuinely interested.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just wondering - we saw a similar situation last year with Sam Steel. Put up ok numbers in his draft year, late first selection - explodes the D+1 season.

Looking for the similarities and differences between the players. Not trying to pull Frost's season down in any way just genuinely interested.
I think the difference was that Steel had Brooks as his linemate and they had 131 and 130 point respectively...109 points was the next best in the league. So it was a 2 headed machine.

Frost actually got better during the WJC when he lost Katchouk and became "the man".

He and Konecny have had almost identical draft+1 seasons:

61 games 102 points for Frost
60 games 101 points for Konecny

But I will let others who watch these guys way more than myself chime in.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

Steel has been great this year. His offensive numbers are not absolutely absurd this year because pretty much all of the firepower left or has been injured this season, but are still fantastic considering the team is unquestionably his this year and he has evolved into what I believe is already an NHL-quality 2-way centre. He has also simplified his game and worked on making it more applicable to when he will be playing against men. Flyers fans should not be discouraged in any way if (and likely when) Frost’s offensive numbers deflate slightly next season, so long as he is working on playing a simple and responsible game.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I wouldn't be shocked if Frost made it (I'd say 50/50 chance). At the town hall meeting, Chris Pryor (assistant GM) implied that the major thing that would hold him back from playing with the Flyers next year is his size. A full offseason of bulking up and training could alleviate that concern. Frost would certainly add some much needed scoring depth into our bottom-6. I hope he makes it.

There is maybe a 3% chance Hart makes the Flyers. He would have to have a ridiculously good camp and preseason to have a shot. NHL/AHL shots are just so much stronger and harder than junior shots.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I wouldn't be shocked if Frost made it (I'd say 50/50 chance). At the town hall meeting, Chris Pryor (assistant GM) implied that the major thing that would hold him back from playing with the Flyers next year is his size. A full offseason of bulking up and training could alleviate that concern. Frost would certainly add some much needed scoring depth into our bottom-6. I hope he makes it.

There is maybe a 3% chance Hart makes the Flyers. He would have to have a ridiculously good camp and preseason to have a shot. NHL/AHL shots are just so much stronger and harder than junior shots.
What Pryor said was something like: I am asked about Frost in the NHL next year a lot. He is so physically immature (skinny) that if he was sitting here beside me you would not be asking that question.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Konecny - Patrick - Frost would be an awesome line.

Oh, I think it's probably safe to say that going forward, Konecny will be paired permanently with Couturier. Patrick will probably be paired with Lindblom permanently going forward. I'm interested in seeing a line of Ratcliffe - Frost - Allison in the future. Two big guys who can skate and a center who will have all sorts of space to work with. That has the potential to be a scary good line.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Not going to burst my bubble. Zero chance all four are back next year.

Whoever of Stolarz or Lyon falter will either be in the ECHL or traded. Hart will take one of those four spots, almost certainly on the Phantoms.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
How many players have broken ~110 points in the Draft + 1 season in the OHL? It'd be cool to see a list if possible?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad