C Morgan Frost (2017, 27th, PHI)

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Pretty surprising he only has 2 pages worth of discussion. Has to be one of the bigger prospect risers given the mix of physical tools (hands and speed), elite hockey sense and vision, and actual production. Flyers fans collectively wanted Tolvanen, but Frost is playing some unbelievable hockey right now and starting to get the recognition from the writers.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Pretty surprising he only has 2 pages worth of discussion. Has to be one of the bigger prospect risers given the mix of physical tools (hands and speed), elite hockey sense and vision, and actual production. Flyers fans collectively wanted Tolvanen, but Frost is playing some unbelievable hockey right now and starting to get the recognition from the writers.
He and Thomas are developing very quickly. Both can dominate offensively, drive their own line, and be dependable defensively. Both could be considered as some of the top talents from the draft sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Acadien86

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
The young man has really opened my eyes. I was not a happy camper when Hextall made the trade giving up Schenn(who by the way is playing lights out), but Frost is playing very well and looks like he is a future Flyer and still has the Blues #1 pick to work with. I just wish Patrick was giving us a little offense cause I am getting tired of all the so called experts busting on Hexy concerning the trade and hope in a year or two they will change their minds.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Hockeypete49: In hindsight, Patrick should have been sent back to junior. He missed a lot of time due to injury last year. Flyers are poor to middling team this year. Just playing a lot in junior to me would have be better for his body and mind.
I was really surprised that Frost was picked so high. Time will tell if it's the right call.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Going back to junior would have been pointless. Playing 10 minutes in the NHL is more useful than continuing to dominate a league he's obviously outgrown. Also better to have him near Flyers doctors than the ones who misdiagnosed him last year.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Going back to junior would have been pointless. Playing 10 minutes in the NHL is more useful than continuing to dominate a league he's obviously outgrown. Also better to have him near Flyers doctors than the ones who misdiagnosed him last year.

Also we just maybe had too high of expectations for an 18 yo who only played half of his last season and had a tough surgery that clearly impacted Giroux and Ghost last season. I'd be shocked if he isn't at least 20% faster by March

Last edited:
Reactions: daa5250

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Also we just maybe had too high of expectations for an 18 yo who only played half of his last season and had a tough surgery that clearly impacted Giroux and Ghost last season. I'd be shocked if he isn't at least 20% faster by March

Patrick is also played on a line with Dale Weise constantly... and his other winger is basically a rotation winger between 3rd and 4th line which is bad.

Frost looks great though... and not just from a points perspective. He reminds me of Konecny, just without the tenacity/grit from junior play. Hopefully it translates to the NHL. I just hope he puts some muscle and weight on.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem I have with his usage is more who he's with than how much he's playing.

He's clearly far from 100% (as far as physical performance goes, not as if he has an increased risk of re-injury), so I'm not expecting him to get 20 minutes per night.

HOWEVER if you want to get the most you can out of him, why the hell would you give him at least one horrible linemate at all times this year? Weise is sure as hell making a difficult situation even worse.

Patrick was Konecny for a bit (who is extremely skilled and SEVERELY under-used) but he isn't a good fit with Patrick right now because they both need the same thing at this point in their careers: a good possession linemate to take the pressure off of them... like Voracek. Meanwhile, Voracek is wasted playing on a line with Filppula, who appears to have no brain, and Raffl, who is merely a player who can tag along with better guys without slowing them down.

So Patrick is both getting scrap time and scrap linemates, on top of not being in peak physical condition... it's no mystery why he isn't performing right now.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Not to highjack frosts thread, but Patrick will be fine. He came off a tough surgery to a new league. He started to warm up making some great passes. Then he got a lingering concussion that he’s not over yet. Same. An be said for Leier. It always some time for a player to get right from a drawn out concussion like that.

Frost seems great. Could be a big player to go with Patrick down the line which was the point. Schenn was a steep price for sure and it looks worse now with him careering it. It’s not like he would have done that here through. He’s obviously motivated and in a better role there with better payers. As long has his motivation stays up he will keep doing well and always does well in the playoffs. Tie breaker will go to whoever the next pick is now that frost has made it closer.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The kid is playing awesome right now. You can see why Hextall and the Flyers scouts thought it was worth making a trade so they could take him.

C0DITH

Apr 30, 2017
Frost-Patrick together on a line within 2 years is my call, they are going to make sweet sexy music together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad