Prospect Info: C Mitchell Mattson, 126th OA

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is the only pick I'm not crazy about, I hope I'm wrong. I'll need to research him more before I can make a valid judgement.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Responding to a post from the E2 Tuolola thread, but did not want to drag that thread off-topic.

The only pick I'm not crazy about is Mattson, only because his offensive numbers are not good. But again, if he figures it out maybe he will be okay.

here is an interesting report about Mattson from mid-season.

... Red Line’s man in Minnesota is starting to feel that Grand Rapids pivot Mitchell Mattson (one goal) has the same upside, if not moreso, than [25th overall pick Riley] Tufte.

A casual glance at his pedestrian stats while with the USHL’s Bloomington Thunder earlier in the season would be a mistake, as their draconian system did not allow his offensive talents to flourish.

But now that he’s back in Grand Rapids, we’ve been able to see the lanky 6-4 center showcase his creativity and skill in all three zones, and he strikes us as being similar to Blake Wheeler at the same age. We acknowledge that Mattson will lack some urgency at times, but we do like his development path.

He’ll be heading to North Dakota next season, and that program has a long history of breaking down bad habits and turning players into monsters — just look at Nick Schmaltz, who in his draft year gave little effort.

Mattson is showing surprisingly effective lateral movement and the ability to slow the play down. So yes, it is a sight to behold when Tufte is barreling down the wing, but we think there might be even more substance to Mattson’s game.

A USHL year + 3 NCAA years would follow the same path Wheeler took after his draft - although as with Wheeler the risk is that when he finally pans out, he doesn't sign with us.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
When I was watching him, you could tell the brain was working well. Just everything is very raw with him. In a year or two he might have figured enough out to be a quality prospect. If things work out, it'll be a great value. If not, it's a 5th.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The names Tkaczuk and Mattsson brought back some real bad memory :rant:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
An illustrious college career still the legend is being written even now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->