C Mikael Pyyhtiä - TPS, Nuorten SM-Liiga (2020, 114th, CBJ)

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Any TPS or finish fan who could offer some informations about this guy, his style of play and how his season went? Thanks!

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
He should have good genetics for sports. His little brother made a debut this season in Serie A (Top tier of italian football league).

• Wow
Reactions: LJ7

Alex Taxman

FSHockey
Jul 11, 2019
www.futurescopehockey.com
5 points (4+1) in last 5 Liiga games, 3rd on team in scoring with 20 points in 43 games for low scoring TPS. What a season he is having, another hidden gem coming through Blue Jackets “system”!
Always had a feeling he’d adjust to higher levels well. We’ll see how he does when he comes over to the states.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
To my NA ears it sounds like "Poo-tee-uh". Perhaps the Finns can explain how the spelling came to be so different from the sound.
Hm? Finnish is a phonetic language. It's pronounced exactly as it's spelled. You don't need to have ever heard it said before and can pronounce it perfectly, as with every other Finnish word.

The one thing you need to keep in mind is that in Finnish y is used for ü and the relationship between u and y is the same as those between o and ö and a and ä.

It's the English language that pronounces everything differently from the way it's spelled. If you've learned Spanish use that as a guideline.

And also "poo" is puu, not pyy. And pyyhtiä is not puuhtia.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Seems like a late bloomer after not being much in his draft year+. He'll likely stay over for at least another year but do fans of his team/watchers think he has a chance to make it to the NHL?

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Seems like a late bloomer after not being much in his draft year+. He'll likely stay over for at least another year but do fans of his team/watchers think he has a chance to make it to the NHL?
20 year old is a late bloomer these days huh?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Really hard to guess if he makes it. Guys who are drafted at 114th and later most often don't make it. Then again Pyyhtiä has exceeded expectations and I think he'll at least get a chance to make it.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
So far so good. He's on the same trajectory as another TPS talent Lauri Pajuniemi. Needs at least one more Liiga season under his belt, 25-30 goals, then off to AHL in 23-24. AHL is the real sink or swim test. He isn't really a grinder type so it might take a lot to get a call-up. Even AHL superstars like TJ Tynan (projected 100 points this season) don't quite have what it takes at NHL level. So yeah, long way to go, but the odds are much higher now than a year ago.

KOS21

Feb 23, 2022
his EP stats are saying he is point per game in the playoffs? for anybody watching him play, is his play that good? ...im fairly ignorant when it comes to Liiga stats, how impressive is that for a 20 year old?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
his EP stats are saying he is point per game in the playoffs? for anybody watching him play, is his play that good? ...im fairly ignorant when it comes to Liiga stats, how impressive is that for a 20 year old?
His play is that good I'd say, yeah.

It is pretty impressive. In recent years, only Roope Hintz managed to do such a thing at the same age, though for younger players there's also Aho and Puljujärvi. Laine was pretty close as well.

One thing we can see is that all of these are NHL players.

Reactions: Realgud and KOS21

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
It's impressive. I can definitely see a future NHLer in him, maybe not a top six forward but a contributor for sure. He's fast, has pretty good hands, good shot and no definite weaknesses. We'll see how it translates to NA hockey.

Reactions: KOS21

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's impressive. I can definitely see a future NHLer in him, maybe not a top six forward but a contributor for sure. He's fast, has pretty good hands, good shot and no definite weaknesses. We'll see how it translates to NA hockey.
How does he handle board play and the physical side of the game? Still pretty slender so without knowing his game too well it would be one thing I expect some time adjusting to when he comes over

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He's got a chance for sure. Comparing him to teammate Parssinen, I'd say Pyythia has a higher offensive upside, but Parssinen is more likely to be an NHL player (possible 3rd line C, but more likely a 4th line C).

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
How does he handle board play and the physical side of the game? Still pretty slender so without knowing his game too well it would be one thing I expect some time adjusting to when he comes over
I'd say okay for his size and age but yeah there is definitely room for development in that area for him.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Signed 3-year ELC with Columbus. Likely be sent back to Turku on loan next year but will attend rookie camp, Traverse City and NHL camp I suspect. Been on a good curve for development. Excited to see another mid-round pick showing well for CBJ

Reactions: Monk and JabbaJabba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad