C Mika Zibanejad (2011, 6th overall, Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I ranked him 9th in my Feb mock. I think that might be a bit high, but he is absolutely a top 15-20 talent.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Love this kid.

How does he compare to McNeill in your opinion? How would you compare and contrast the two? I've never seen either but the scouting reports seem extremely similar.

What NHLer would you compare him to? Sounds like maybe a higher end hope would be Patrice Bergeron and maybe Chris Kelly for the lower end of expectations?

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I heard he got injured today and won't be playing hockey anymore. he's taking up chess. You guys can all forget about him now.

Analyzer*

He has no intention of ever coming over to North America.

Says they'll never be able to pronounce his name, so he isn't going.

All of your teams might as well pass.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Avs will snag him in round 2 if everything you are saying is true.

Jul 4, 2010
How do you pronounce his last name? I would love the Pens to get him even though he is a center....he'll probably be gone before they select him.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
C-bahn-yad.

And the SEL isn't physical by any means, but that is mostly due to defensive style of hockey, bigger rinks and lower tempo. Djurgarden and Zibanejad are trying their best, though.

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
By looking at his stats he hasn't really produced, so is he's offensive upside a bit limited?

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
C-bahn-yad.

And the SEL isn't physical by any means, but that is mostly due to defensive style of hockey, bigger rinks and lower tempo. Djurgarden and Zibanejad are trying their best, though.

Are ÅÄÖ missing from your keyboard?

Brun0

Jul 24, 2009
As a Finnish homer/troll.. shouldn't you be supporting a half-Finn like Mika ;)

Well you tell me, I was just looking at stats and they are not impressive. It's okay in mens level since he is so young, but he hasn't really produced in juniors either so I was just asking? :dunno:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Well you tell me, I was just looking at stats and they are not impressive. It's okay in mens level since he is so young, but he hasn't really produced in juniors either so I was just asking? :dunno:

Look at his last 10 games. Impressive for a 17 year old to say the least. He's starting to lead his team in forward ice time as well.

Kennholt

Mar 6, 2011
Stockholm
For what its worth, i can share a little story with you.

About one to two months ago i met Djurgården goaltender Mark Owuya at a party. Beeing a Djurgården supporter i of course started chatting about the team with him.

He had alot of good things to say about Mika, but what i dont really think have been mentioned here is Mikas great shot. According to Mark, Mika have among the best shots in the SEL. And i guess Mark, if anybody, should know ;]

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com

His stats are fine in juniors. His coaches have commented on them saying that the only reason the may seem bit on the low-side is that he takes the responsibility of the center position deadly serious. Not taking any risks defensively. They let him play on the wing for a while and he immediately scored plenty. Very good shot as Kennholt mentioned, I've heard from another player as well that he has the best/hardest shot in the mens team.

His stats for the SEL are exceptional btw. Only two players at Djurgården have ever scored more at his age, both playing considerably more games (Josefson and Bremberg). I'd say that the hardest thing to predict with Zibanejad is his ceiling. That because he really is a work in progress, every game we see him growing.

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=23856

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
C-bahn-yad.

That may be how they're pronouncing it in Sweden, but I'm told the proper Farsi pronunciation is:

zee-BAH-neh-ZHAD

And this surname is actually a compound name:

-ziba means "beautiful"
-nejad is a Persian/Iranian suffix meaning "descendant of."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad