C Mika Zibanejad (2011, 6th overall, Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
From everything i've read about him, there is not a single mention of his skills with the puck, that might be a downer comes draft day.

Everything said about him were the same things said about A. Kostitsyn in 2003, it turned out he had no two ways game at all.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
AS I post this Zibanejad has only played 24 SEL games -some of those on the 3rd and 4th lines--he has 4 goals and 3 assists--but if you compare to other juniors who have playeard nealy all the games--you would project at least 7-8 goals and 5-6 assists -so he really is on pace -at least in goals --for one of the top junior forwrds in the sel--compareto the much much older Anton Lander =9 goals in a lot more GP...

Now in today;s game I note that Zibanejad is on the 2nd line for Djurgardens and is listed at centre with the usual centre (Blackhawks draftee MARCUS KRUGER) on RW...THey thus have put Zibanejad-ALREADY--on the same line as Djurgardens point leader,Kruger--who is one of the best playmakers in the league ..but showing Zibanejad at centre and moving KRUGER to wing? WHY?

Could this be because Zibanejad is better at face-offs? Kruger is only 45% ,Zibanejad at 50% ?

IF so--do they switch up after the face-off? That is does Kruger play centre for his playmaking and defensive work (Zibanehad is only EVEN,Kruger is I think +10 ) --or are they experimenting now with Zibanejad at centre beyond the face-offs? I do not know-just that this is an interesting note that at the very least points up they value better face-off ability.

I do hope we see Zibanejad at the world u-18's ---to compare to his peer age group
at that tournament...It is very difficult to compare the SEL to CHL juniors---travel and schedule grinds are ougher in CHL Jr.--but playing vs. men and experienced top Swedish and Euro pros is another level.....Zinanejad on the right CHL jr. team with "featured" top line minutes and PP time might be right up there with RNH and Landeskog too on the rankings list ..it is hard to compare situations..

HOWEVER --time and again--we have seen scouts go gag-ga at the World U-18's and guys further down the rankings have "rocketed " up as these late spring viewings change minds...

Sometimes the scouts get it all wrong --reminder: in 2000 when they went gaga over YAKOUBOV and VOROBIEV at the world U-18's ...YAKOUBOV rocketed way up the charts ..but both became NHL duds for alas my beloved Blackhawks.

So you must be careful not to get carried away by that one tournament...still I would bet that IF Zibanejad plays in it and "shines" ,he's will rocket up to a top ten consideration...as it is I think he is now somwhere in the middle tier of ten in round one...the selection in the middle tier of ten in the first round may be harder to rank by BPA "conensus" than the top ten --and so position need amongts several close rankings in this middle tier of the round could sway each team drafting there
....as I see it there are only 3 centres worthy of consideration for this middle tier of 10 (picks 11 through 20):

The 3 centers are: Zack Phillips 6'1 180 --skilled but not physical
not good at face-offs.

Mika Zinanejad 6'2 194 --two-way centre --holding his
own (50%) against men in SEL
face-offs;even better against Jr.
peers when he was down in the Jr.
leagues; physical --plays in the
dirty areas.

Mark NcNeill 6'1.5 210 --power centre ..not sure about
his face-offs...does not play
on a "stacked" team like
Phillips does...A bit inconsistent.

OF these --only Zibadenjad could rocket up into the top 10 -IF he dominates at the World u-18's ...If he is not there due to SEL playoffs if Djurgardens keeps advancing ,then he'll probaly stay in the middle tier if round one.
Then it becomes a matter of which teams target centres over D-men or winger needs fortheir pipelines.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm excited for Ottawa to take him with the Nashville pick.

Landeskog + Zibanejad

gof

Aug 11, 2010
Zibanejad continues to play a very mature game. Will be exciting to see him in the play-offs. Hopefully he'll make some damage.

GO GALLER-MIKA!

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Wow. :amazed:

Now THAT would be awesome. It would make this miserable year completely worth it. All Swedish 2nd line in 2012? Landeskog-Zibanejad-Silfverberg/Petersson :yo:

Amazing goal. Made Larsson look like a second round pick. :sarcasm:

Unfortunately Silfverberg and Zibanejad would have to fight for the number 33.

Thomas Malthus

The Dismal Team
Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa, ON
Would a more skilled Kulemin be an accurate projection/comparison for him? I really like what he brings, but by the sounds of it he'll have moved himself up and out of my Leafs' reach...

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
wrightta: You could've gotten him with your old pick. ;)

He's obviously a bigger frame than Kulemin, and if you understand what I mean when I say he's got a more "powerful" skill set rather than a quick-nifty one.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
wrightta: You could've gotten him with your old pick. ;)

He's obviously a bigger frame than Kulemin, and if you understand what I mean when I say he's got a more "powerful" skill set rather than a quick-nifty one.

Not being nitpicky but Kulemin is 6'2 225ish i believe. And i would probably say that kulemin plays a more power game than he does quick and nifty.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Talked more about the stickhandling in particular, but sure. Kulemin doesn't look an inch over 6'1 though, and Zibanejad is probably 6'3 with time to grow.

Anyway, Zibanejad is a centre so it's hard to compare. If Zibanejad played wing, I'm sure he'd be hitting a bit more than Kulemin.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Talked more about the stickhandling in particular, but sure. Kulemin doesn't look an inch over 6'1 though, and Zibanejad is probably 6'3 with time to grow.

Anyway, Zibanejad is a centre so it's hard to compare. If Zibanejad played wing, I'm sure he'd be hitting a bit more than Kulemin.

Quite possible. Kulemin is built like a truck tho. If he ever learned to truly hit people, and become a bit meaner then he would be quite the force. But supposedly he is an extremely coachable player so watch them get him into that too :P

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Quite possible. Kulemin is built like a truck tho. If he ever learned to truly hit people, and become a bit meaner then he would be quite the force. But supposedly he is an extremely coachable player so watch them get him into that too :P

Dave King, who coached Kulemin for an entire season in Metallurg of the KHL (then RSL) was quoted having said that he never heard Kulemin's voice. I guess he just listens and does what he's told. :laugh:

Analyzer*

This guy fills a need for Montréal and would fit into their system. Kind of a no brainer for the habs, imo.

I'm sure they'll pick some ****** undersized high school kid.

Thomas Malthus

The Dismal Team
Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa, ON
So where is he projected to go now? In February he was slated to go at the end of the first round but now it seems he's moved into the top 15, some people have him in their top 10. With the relative parity in talent after the top 10 (that's where I've heard the real change in talent is, please correct me if it's not) does that mean that the draft position of players will change wildly in comparison to their ranking?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
So where is he projected to go now? In February he was slated to go at the end of the first round but now it seems he's moved into the top 15, some people have him in their top 10. With the relative parity in talent after the top 10 (that's where I've heard the real change in talent is, please correct me if it's not) does that mean that the draft position of players will change wildly in comparison to their ranking?

Craig Buttons recent list (came out yesterday on TSN) had him 13th. So it's safe to assume people are taking notice of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad