C Mika Zibanejad (2011, 6th overall, Ottawa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

My issue with your post is you act like Kesler is going to be as good as he is right now, every year. It's possible...but until then, he's unproven as far as being one of the best centers in the game goes.

Im not trying to knock Zibanejad, he is a prospect that I llike more and more daily.

2007-2008 Canucks 80 21 16 37 1
2008-2009 Canucks 82 26 33 59 8
2009-2010 Canucks 82 25 50 75 1
2010-2011 Canucks 61 33 24 57 23

Those numbers to me tell me, that in 2007-2008 he was 24 years old and was only being used to shut down the opposing teams top lines....he had zero for an offensive role and had 21 goals.

Next year, finally gets 2nd line minutes and ice, but still is forced to play against the other teams top lines - his coming out year for sure, and his first Selke nomination.

I wont go any further here, because this thread is about Zibanejad and I dont want to derail it any further, but once this season is over, at age 26 it is HIGHLY likely that Kesler has 40 goals, 80 points, the top +/- for any forward in the NHL, another Selke nomination (you would think he would get his due and win it).

Its pretty evident to me he is clearly ALREADY a top 2-way forward in the league, if not the top and is only coming into his prime. Not to mention the change in his mindset and his focus has improved thus leading to what we see now.

To say he isnt a top player in the league shows you dont watch the Canucks ofter this year or over the last 5.

Take a poll around the league, and I guarantee he gets voted into the top 30 players....31st in the HOckey News yearboook, before this season, where he has definately surpassed Mike Richards and Anze Kopitar IMO.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I think Kesler's a massive reason why the Canucks are a complete team now. I said it last year, Kesler's emergence was the big missing ingredient for the Canucks.

But I can understand how someone in Sweden may not be right up to date with where Kesler is at right now. I can also understand someone saying they aren't convinced Kesler would be the player he is right now if he became a team's top line center. I can also live with a Swede thinking that in the prime years of Zibanejad's career he may be just as good or better than Kesler in his prime....but people's projections are open to fail, and he used the word "potential"....which is treated as a safe-out whenever projecting prospects on the internet.

arsmaster*

I think Kesler's a massive reason why the Canucks are a complete team now. I said it last year, Kesler's emergence was the big missing ingredient for the Canucks.

But I can understand how someone in Sweden may not be right up to date with where Kesler is at right now. I can also understand someone saying they aren't convinced Kesler would be the player he is right now if he became a team's top line center. I can also live with a Swede thinking that in the prime years of Zibanejad's career he may be just as good or better than Kesler in his prime....but people's projections are open to fail, and he used the word "potential"....which is treated as a safe-out whenever projecting prospects on the internet.

That's fair. My biggest issue was when he said, "better and SPEEDIER", Zibanejad isnt known for his speed, whereas Kesler's calling card has always been his skating and speed.

Zinbanejad isnt a bad skater, far from it, but it isnt his calling card.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
He says the Pens are his favourite team in the NHL, we can draw our own assumptions of course but that's what he said. He, of course, states the usual neutral "I will be thrilled to be drafted to any team".

With Crosby, Malkin and Staal, I don't think it would be good for him to be drafted by the Pens. Unless he wanna be a winger.

PuckOut

Feb 23, 2009
www.youtube.com
What is the likelihood that he'll be here in GER for the U18 WC???

Pretty high, right?

The finals of the SEL are played from the 5th of April to the 19th of April (if it goes to 7 games) so there's a slight possibility that he would be tied up for that.

Otherwise he's probably the first name on the roster so to speak.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
That's fair. My biggest issue was when he said, "better and SPEEDIER", Zibanejad isnt known for his speed, whereas Kesler's calling card has always been his skating and speed.

Zinbanejad isnt a bad skater, far from it, but it isnt his calling card.

Yeah by the sounds of it. When I saw the clip of his 1st SEL goal where he circled the net hard bounced a player off the puck in front of the net and then slid it in the net, I was under the illusion that this kid must be a good skater. Apparently not, but that clip was an impressive display of skating and strength for a 17 year in a mens league, maybe there's some potential to become a strong skater. If he truly models Crosby, as a lot of kids are, he'll work relentlessly to make it a strength.

He mentions it in a couple of Swedish interviews. Also says that he models his game after Crosby, who is his idol.

Every kid wants to get drafted by the Pens.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I have not see Zibanejad play--hopefully we will see him at the World U-18's...I have seen Armia play at the WJHC U-20 --of course he was a mere youngster on the Finland team -but I thought he had a very awkward skating style--sort of hunched over ---somehow I'm shocked he scores so much in the SM-liga ..his skating was not very speedy or fluid- meely being a shooter won't cut it unless that skating gets a lot better(from what I saw) ...

Anyway--maybe we get to see Zibanejad vs. Armia at the world U-18's --but if so I have interest in Zibanejad at centre while Armia is a winger...So it is the wrong comparison though maybe both go 12-19 range in the draft?

RATHER i 'm most interested in trying to rank Zibanejad vs. Mark McNeill both the big power centre types ..The plus for MCNeill is that he plays the long WHL "grind"
of travel and games,whereas the plus for Zibanejad is that he already plays some games against men (so too Armia) --but both on the easier euro schedule -as all euros--they must adjust to the long North American/NHL "grind" ...In any case I'm trying to figure out who goes first as the Big" centre in the mid-teir of round one: Zibanejad or McNeill ,,,I think both willnot last into the 20's --there just are not a lot of "big" centres early in the draft --if you consider Landeskog will play centre, and Couturier and they go in the top of the draft,in the middle teir (11-20) you would expect a premium on the next 2 big centres of round one mid-round "quality"
--thus I do not think they will last into the 20's before being gobbled up -everyone is loking for quality big centres --later on there isn't much left in that category ..

McNeill has long been projected about 15-22 in most rankings --some rankings I saw showed Zibanejad also in the middle tier of ten in the round and in other rankings as a third teir of ten guy in the first round ...however I think conensus noehas both as middle of round one candidates -and a good U-18 (if both are there and showwell) could push them both up a few notches....so I think both cases we are looking at probably 12-19 range ....if one really shines at the worldu-18 maybe that gets him to #8 or 9 --but we;ll need to see if there is such a dominant showing at th world-u-18 as opposed to a mere good showing to about exected levels..

IF McNeill is a 15-16 type pick on conensus,then Zibanejad could (with a superiorshowing move to 8-12 ) --if he matches what McNeill does then
he probably 15-19...If Mcneill outshines him though--he could fall to the late first early 2nd...So i think McnEill is the measuring stick to how high scouts will place Zibanejad in the Final rankings..this is because i think ranking orgs have arrived at a mid-first level for McNeill but some ranking orgs are still unsure of how high or low to rank Zibanejad.. So the world u-18's willbe huge for him in this process...

Most would expect 4th place in their division Prince albert to get knocked outearly in the WHL playoffs--if they surprise and pull of upsets to keep advancing in the playoffs-maybe McNeill doesn;t get to join Canada u-18's -but right now ,logic says he probably will be on the U-18 squad.

Thus at one tournament scouts will get to measure Zibanejad agaist the other BIG centre candidate where perception now suggests both are mid-firsts...
IF one really dominates compared to the other -it probably won't push McNeill into the top ten if he dominates,but wiill drop Zibanejad down ...If the reverse happens --Zibanejad skyrockets into the top ten ...THIS is just how it is with euros and the U-18's --more NHL team scouts see them than just the teams' euro scouts ,and more of the ranking orgs get proper comparables to ***** euros vs. their NA guys... so the world u-18's are always a big factor in helping confirm opinions for final rankings..

The battle of the "big" centres --will be huge there.

Even if Drummondville exits the Q playoffs early (probaly unlikely)--I believe that with a Dec7,1992 birthdate,Couturier is too old to go to the U-18's ..

THUS it wilbe Zibanejad vs. McNeill for the "big" centre spotlight.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I have not see Zibanejad play--hopefully we will see him at the World U-18's...I have seen Armia play at the WJHC U-20 --of course he was a mere youngster on the Finland team -but I thought he had a very awkward skating style--sort of hunched over ---somehow I'm shocked he scores so much in the SM-liga ..his skating was not very speedy or fluid- meely being a shooter won't cut it unless that skating gets a lot better(from what I saw) ...

Anyway--maybe we get to see Zibanejad vs. Armia at the world U-18's --but if so I have interest in Zibanejad at centre while Armia is a winger...So it is the wrong comparison though maybe both go 12-19 range in the draft?

RATHER i 'm most interested in trying to rank Zibanejad vs. Mark McNeill both the big power centre types ..The plus for MCNeill is that he plays the long WHL "grind"
of travel and games,whereas the plus for Zibanejad is that he already plays some games against men (so too Armia) --but both on the easier euro schedule -as all euros--they must adjust to the long North American/NHL "grind" ...In any case I'm trying to figure out who goes first as the Big" centre in the mid-teir of round one: Zibanejad or McNeill ,,,I think both willnot last into the 20's --there just are not a lot of "big" centres early in the draft --if you consider Landeskog will play centre, and Couturier and they go in the top of the draft,in the middle teir (11-20) you would expect a premium on the next 2 big centres of round one mid-round "quality"
--thus I do not think they will last into the 20's before being gobbled up -everyone is loking for quality big centres --later on there isn't much left in that category ..

McNeill has long been projected about 15-22 in most rankings --some rankings I saw showed Zibanejad also in the middle tier of ten in the round and in other rankings as a third teir of ten guy in the first round ...however I think conensus noehas both as middle of round one candidates -and a good U-18 (if both are there and showwell) could push them both up a few notches....so I think both cases we are looking at probably 12-19 range ....if one really shines at the worldu-18 maybe that gets him to #8 or 9 --but we;ll need to see if there is such a dominant showing at th world-u-18 as opposed to a mere good showing to about exected levels..

IF McNeill is a 15-16 type pick on conensus,then Zibanejad could (with a superiorshowing move to 8-12 ) --if he matches what McNeill does then
he probably 15-19...If Mcneill outshines him though--he could fall to the late first early 2nd...So i think McnEill is the measuring stick to how high scouts will place Zibanejad in the Final rankings..this is because i think ranking orgs have arrived at a mid-first level for McNeill but some ranking orgs are still unsure of how high or low to rank Zibanejad.. So the world u-18's willbe huge for him in this process...

Most would expect 4th place in their division Prince albert to get knocked outearly in the WHL playoffs--if they surprise and pull of upsets to keep advancing in the playoffs-maybe McNeill doesn;t get to join Canada u-18's -but right now ,logic says he probably will be on the U-18 squad.

Thus at one tournament scouts will get to measure Zibanejad agaist the other BIG centre candidate where perception now suggests both are mid-firsts...
IF one really dominates compared to the other -it probably won't push McNeill into the top ten if he dominates,but wiill drop Zibanejad down ...If the reverse happens --Zibanejad skyrockets into the top ten ...THIS is just how it is with euros and the U-18's --more NHL team scouts see them than just the teams' euro scouts ,and more of the ranking orgs get proper comparables to ***** euros vs. their NA guys... so the world u-18's are always a big factor in helping confirm opinions for final rankings..

The battle of the "big" centres --will be huge there.

Even if Drummondville exits the Q playoffs early (probaly unlikely)--I believe that with a Dec7,1992 birthdate,Couturier is too old to go to the U-18's ..

THUS it wilbe Zibanejad vs. McNeill for the "big" centre spotlight.

Good stuff.

Who else available in the upcoming draft do you think is well worth watching at the U18 tournament?

Any other kids whose performance there is of special interest to you?

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Zibanejad with another goal tonight.

Zibanejad's offensive production have been really slow to a top prospect. If he proves he could produce more he would be higher. I know he brings alot other aspect's aswell but i see his offensive production is limited unless he proves something else.

Do you know that Zibanejad have better ppg as a 17-year old in SEL than the current leader of NHL scoring race (Daniel Sedin) had as a 17-year old and much better ppg than Henrik had.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Zibanejad with another goal tonight.

Do you know that Zibanejad have better ppg as a 17-year old in SEL than the current leader of NHL scoring race (Daniel Sedin) had as a 17-year old and much better ppg than Henrik had.

This is very misleading. The year you are discussing for Daniel (12 pts in 45 games) was not his draft year. Yes Daniel and Henrik were late year births and thus were amongst the oldest in their draft year, but i still don't think its truely correct to compare their pre-draft year with Zibanejad's draft year. Looking at the Sedin's draft year they produced historically elite numbers for Swedish Juniors in their draft year. What the future holds for Zibanejad i cannot predict, but he doesn't compare at all well to the Sedin's IMO right now.

For sure a fascinating prospect and a potential riser but i wouldn't start comparing him to some of the great Swedish prospects yet.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
Zibanejad have better ppg as a 17-year old in SEL than the current leader of NHL scoring race (Daniel Sedin) had as a 17-year old and much better ppg than Henrik had.

Not fair to compare him to Sedin's.

But he is not even close to Pääjärvi's PPG or Omark's PPG as 17-year old.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Awwww crap. And here I thought this guy had a small chance of slipping to Edmontons 2nd round pick.:cry: Stop talking about this guy.. he is crap and you dont want him- BIG Character issues and is uhhhh a terrible skater that doesnt has a mind for the game. ;)

Garbage. You don't want him..

:sarcasm:

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
This is very misleading. The year you are discussing for Daniel (12 pts in 45 games) was not his draft year. Yes Daniel and Henrik were late year births and thus were amongst the oldest in their draft year, but i still don't think its truely correct to compare their pre-draft year with Zibanejad's draft year. Looking at the Sedin's draft year they produced historically elite numbers for Swedish Juniors in their draft year. What the future holds for Zibanejad i cannot predict, but he doesn't compare at all well to the Sedin's IMO right now.

For sure a fascinating prospect and a potential riser but i wouldn't start comparing him to some of the great Swedish prospects yet.

It isn´t a perfect comparison since Zibanejad is born in april and the twins is born in september.

Im not trying to prove that Zibanejad is the next Daniel Sedin or anything like that. Im just trying to point out that people that say that Zibanejads production in SEL is crappy and that his maximum upside is that of a thirdliner don´t know what they talking about. It´s very uncommon for a 17-year to play in SEL at all and Zibanejad has been getting a lot of icetime lately and is playing in key situations which is very rare for such a young kid.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
It isn´t a perfect comparison since Zibanejad is born in april and the twins is born in september.

Im not trying to prove that Zibanejad is the next Daniel Sedin or anything like that. Im just trying to point out that people that say that Zibanejads production in SEL is crappy and that his maximum upside is that of a thirdliner don´t know what they talking about. It´s very uncommon for a 17-year to play in SEL at all and Zibanejad has been getting a lot of icetime lately and is playing in key situations which is very rare for such a young kid.

And it can take time for his draft stock to rise in North America is a result. He's hit 17 minutes TOI in his last two games with a goal in each.

Pulkkinen

Elias Lindholm.
Apr 19, 2010
Barcelona.
twitter.com
I have the chance to see Zibanejad in different scenarios. I think it was one of those players who needs to have responsabilites and chances for shine. I enjoyed a lot watching him with Sweden (i don't remember exactly the match, but i remember him and Karl Johansson as two of the players who impressed me most), he faced all his oponents, he wanted to do things in every shift, i think that he played better when he feels the responsability to carry on the offensive, and the passion of his teammates. At SEL is another scenario, with different responsabilities. When he feels better at ice, i'm pretty sure that the points and the production will rise. It's only a matter of time.

Of course, it's only the impression made by a few watches, but all the times i came really impressed with him. Sure i'm missing a lot of things of him, but, in my opinion, he deserve to be at the consideration for the 30 first picks. He has heart and talent to be a really good player.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
With Crosby, Malkin and Staal, I don't think it would be good for him to be drafted by the Pens. Unless he wanna be a winger.

Pens tend to concentrate their scouting in NA (specifically QMJHL and US being their faves) so I'd be surprised if they went with a Euro 1st round though many on the Pens board want Shero and co. to consider more Euros when they draft.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
But he is not even close to Pääjärvi's PPG or Omark's PPG as 17-year old.

Comparison to Omark is, as mentioned flawed since Omark didnt play in the SEL at that age.

And he is not far off the ppg of Paajarvi. Paajarvi had a 0,34 ppg and Zibanejad right now is at 0,29. Another thing to notice is that Paajarvi got regular minutes all season. Zibanejad hasnt got minutes in all of his 24 games, when given good amount of minutes he excelled.

If Zibanejad gets three points out of the three games that is left of the regular season his ppg will end up at 0,37. Two more points will more or less tie his ppg with Paajarvis. So to say that he is not even close... well that isnt true.

Last edited:

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Comparison to Omark is, as mentioned flawed since Omark didnt play in the SEL at that age.

And he is not far off the ppg of Paajarvi. Paajarvi had a 0,34 ppg and Zibanejad right now is at 0,29. Another thing to notice is that Paajarvi got regular minutes all season. Zibanejad hasnt got minutes in all of his 24 games, when given good amount of minutes he excelled.

If Zibanejad gets three points out of the three games that is left of the regular season his ppg will end up at 0,37. Two more points will more or less tie his ppg with Paajarvis. So to say that he is not even close... well that isnt true.

What is Zibanejad like in comparison to MPS? Not in terms of statistics but in terms of skills and style?

MPS was built to play pro early and be able to play at the pace. He was a big kid with wheels. His shiftyness and hand skills lack, and I'm not knocking him, would love to have him.

Is Zibanejad anything like MPS? Does he handle the puck better? More agile skater? Better shooter?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
What is Zibanejad like in comparison to MPS? Not in terms of statistics but in terms of skills and style?

MPS was built to play pro early and be able to play at the pace. He was a big kid with wheels. His shiftyness and hand skills lack, and I'm not knocking him, would love to have him.

Is Zibanejad anything like MPS? Does he handle the puck better? More agile skater? Better shooter?

I'm pretty sure Z is much more physical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad