C Mavrik Bourque (2020, 30th, DAL)

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Bourque was always a very nice playmaker who controls the pace of the play with a nice wrist shot. Plays a pretty solid two-way game too. Upside is nice on this kid. I might have underrated him a bit last year, only had him 6th on my QMJHL draft list.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Bourque was always a very nice playmaker who controls the pace of the play with a nice wrist shot. Plays a pretty solid two-way game too. Upside is nice on this kid. I might have underrated him a bit last year, only had him 6th on my QMJHL draft list.

I think you probably had him rated accordingly... I had Lapierre, Villeneuve, Lawrence, Bordeleau, Guay and Poirier all rated ahead of him. Cormier was also nipping at his heels. It’s still too early to make a call and he looks absolutely fantastic but as of today, I still think I’d take those guys ahead of him with maybe the exception of Guay. You could have ranked him anywhere from 3-8 really and been in the correct ball park for him.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I think you probably had him rated accordingly... I had Lapierre, Villeneuve, Lawrence, Bordeleau, Guay and Poirier all rated ahead of him. Cormier was also nipping at his heels. It’s still too early to make a call and he looks absolutely fantastic but as of today, I still think I’d take those guys ahead of him with maybe the exception of Guay. You could have ranked him anywhere from 3-8 really and been in the correct ball park for him.

Agreed. I still firmly believe Lapierre is the best player from that draft. I think Bourque might be better than Villeneuve and Guay which I had ahead of him. Anyway, solid player, a little bit surprised that his offense came that easily in his first year, even in Midget AAA it wasn't always easy on some nights.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Agreed. I still firmly believe Lapierre is the best player from that draft. I think Bourque might be better than Villeneuve and Guay which I had ahead of him. Anyway, solid player, a little bit surprised that his offense came that easily in his first year, even in Midget AAA it wasn't always easy on some nights.

I like Villeneuve a lot but it’s so hard to compare a 16 year old D to a forward.. both look good. I’m pretty surprised the offence is coming this easy too, I thought he’d be in the 30-40 point range this season with 10-15 goals. Yet here he is scoring at a 27 goal and 54 point pace over 68. It’s very impressive.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Great first name.
tenor.gif

Reactions: BHD and Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Man, there’s a ton of great talent eligible for next year’s draft in the CHL right now. It wouldn’t surprise me if 20 or more first rounders were to come from it, even if that sounds crazy.

WHL:

Zary*
McClennon*
Crnkovic*
Sourdif
Neighbours
Guhle
Jarvis
Reinhardt
Schneider

OHL:

Byfield**
Perfetti**
Drysdale**
Rossi*
Perreault*
Foudy*
Cuylle
Stranges
Sebrango
O’Rourke
Moore

QMJHL:

Lafreniere***
Barron**
Lapierre**
Poirier*
Lawrence
Rochette
Mercer
Bourque
Cormier

*** = likely first overall pick
**high chance of being top-5
*good chance of being top-10

I could seriously see any of these guys going in the first round. Probably missing a bunch, too. And there’s other guys I’d consider serious sleepers. This draft is gonna be incredible in depth and talent with the Euros contributing guys like Lundell, Raymond, Holtz, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Man, there’s a ton of great talent eligible for next year’s draft in the CHL right now. It wouldn’t surprise me if 20 or more first rounders were to come from it, even if that sounds crazy.

WHL:

Zary*
McClennon*
Crnkovic*
Neighbours
Guhle
Jarvis
Reinhardt
Schneider

OHL:

Byfield**
Perfetti**
Drysdale**
Rossi*
Perreault*
Foudy*
Cuylle
Stranges
Sebrango
O’Rourke
Moore

QMJHL:

Lafreniere***
Barron**
Poirier*
Lawrence
Rochette
Mercer
Bourque
Cormier

I could seriously see any of these guys going in the first round. Probably missing a bunch, too. And there’s other guys I’d consider serious sleepers. This draft is gonna be incredible in depth and talent with the Euros contributing guys like Lundell, Raymond, Holtz, etc.

Would say Lapierre is in Barron’s tier in the Q, legit first round guy. Don’t know if you missed him on purpose here but he’s incredible.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

WHL:

Zary*
McClennon*
Crnkovic*
Neighbours
Guhle
Jarvis
Reinhardt
Schneider

OHL:

Byfield**
Perfetti**
Drysdale**
Rossi*
Perreault*
Foudy*
Cuylle
Stranges
Sebrango
O’Rourke
Moore

QMJHL:

Lafreniere***
Barron**
Poirier*
Lawrence
Rochette
Mercer
Bourque
Cormier

20 is a lot. I think its possible more than half of the first rounders in 2020 could be CHL'ers, but 20 might be a few too many.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Would say Lapierre is in Barron’s tier in the Q, legit first round guy. Don’t know if you missed him on purpose here but he’s incredible.

Lapierre is 2nd behind Lafreniere, no question

Bourque is a great offensive player, love his shooting arsenal. Soft hands, very nice vision. Should get a lot of exposure playing on Shawinigan's 1st line in his draft year. Definitely a 1st round candidate.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

Lapierre is 2nd behind Lafreniere, no question

Bourque is a great offensive player, love his shooting arsenal. Soft hands, very nice vision. Should get a lot of exposure playing on Shawinigan's 1st line in his draft year. Definitely a 1st round candidate.
Flabbergasted that I missed Lapierre. I agree with you guys, love that kid’s potential.

This is exactly what I mean about the quality of this draft!

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
20 is a lot. I think its possible more than half of the first rounders in 2020 could be CHL'ers, but 20 might be a few too many.
Keeping in mind that I know next to nothing besides hearsay about most of the Euros and US guys, my rough top-40 right now would be:

Lafreniere
Byfield
Lundell
Drysdale
Raymond
Barron
Holtz
Perfetti
Lapierre
Gunler
Zary
Rossi
Perreault
Poirier
Crnkovic
McClennon
Foudy
Gushchin
Stranges
Sourdif
Pytlik
Neighbours
Rolston
Holloway
Smilanic
Mysak
Simontaival
Cuylle
Guhle
Sanderson
Lawrence
Tuch
Peterson
Jarvis
Rochette
Askarov
Kuznetsov
Sebrango
Reinhardt
Delemont/Kleven

Just thrown together, already don’t like some specific orders but in general that feels okay. In this case (rankings probably at least a little out of touch with where these guys are, kids these age really show big differences even on a monthly basis), there’s 18 CHLers in the top-31.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the Swedes will be up having 4-5 first rounders, as will the Americans. Maybe 1-2 of those end up being CHL'ers. Lundell will be a first rounder, Mysak will be a first rounder. I think the Russians will have at least 1-2 non-CHL first rounders, and its likely Finland will have a couple besides Lundell not from the CHL. There's also the chance for players such as Chromiak, Knazko, Knak Stutzle, Delemont.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I think the Swedes will be up having 4-5 first rounders, as will the Americans. Maybe 1-2 of those end up being CHL'ers. Lundell will be a first rounder, Mysak will be a first rounder. I think the Russians will have at least 1-2 non-CHL first rounders, and its likely Finland will have a couple besides Lundell not from the CHL. There's also the chance for players such as Chromiak, Knazko, Knak Stutzle, Delemont.
I know most people don’t focus beyond the current draft year, but could you provide your top-40? I know you watch/otherwise pay attention to a lot of prospects and I’d like to see how close or far my opinion on rankings of guys is to yours.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Americans? Seems like it'll be a real down year for them in comparison to this year.

FrankGallagher

Oct 6, 2015

WHL:

Zary*
McClennon*
Crnkovic*
Neighbours
Guhle
Jarvis
Reinhardt
Schneider

OHL:

Byfield**
Perfetti**
Drysdale**
Rossi*
Perreault*
Foudy*
Cuylle
Stranges
Sebrango
O’Rourke
Moore

QMJHL:

Lafreniere***
Barron**
Lapierre**
Poirier*
Lawrence
Rochette
Mercer
Bourque
Cormier

From WHL I would add Sourdif forsure. Him and Jarvis are probably the leagues 2 best prospects for next year along with Zary

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad