C Matthew Rempe - NY Rangers (2020, 165th, NYR)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Big strong forward on Seattle as a 17 year old rookie this season. Was hurt for a while at the start of the year but has been playing real well since.

6'8 and 210 pounds already at 17 years old. Has some good skill for a massive kid and plays a power game.

20gp 5g. 9a. 14pts. 37PIM

Not talked about much for this draft but I wouldn't be surprised potentially if a team takes a chance with him in the later rounds.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Haven’t seen him yet. For anyone who has, hows his skating? 6’8 must be rough.
Saw him against portland and he lugs around there, skating is obviously an issue but that's probably to be expected for such a big guy at a young age. Wasnt overly physical but it's hard to throw hits behind the play. Might not have been the best showing for him as Seattle was heavily out shot and spent the vast majority of the game on defense.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Saw him against portland and he lugs around there, skating is obviously an issue but that's probably to be expected for such a big guy at a young age. Wasnt overly physical but it's hard to throw hits behind the play. Might not have been the best showing for him as Seattle was heavily out shot and spent the vast majority of the game on defense.

Ya some games have been rough for the whole team. They have 13 players or so that are 16 and 17 years old on the team and at times it has been a rough go

Ive seen some games that Rempe was invisible but also some games that you see some major power forward potential.

He went undrafted in his junior draft and is blooming late. Has grown a crap load quickly and will fill out alot more.

The potential is there for him to be a beast at 19 years old and I'll be curious if a NHL team takes a shot. I wouldn't be surprised

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Ya some games have been rough for the whole team. They have 13 players or so that are 16 and 17 years old on the team and at times it has been a rough go

Ive seen some games that Rempe was invisible but also some games that you see some major power forward potential.

He went undrafted in his junior draft and is blooming late. Has grown a crap load quickly and will fill out alot more.

The potential is there for him to be a beast at 19 years old and I'll be curious if a NHL team takes a shot. I wouldn't be surprised
Yeah it's a long year for Seattle, after trading away after sending all their top guys to kelowna since this summer but they should be a lot stronger next year with a dominant goalie and all those young guys getting a year of experience. I'm a portland fan but I hope they can turn it around and be more competitive.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I’d take a shot in the 3rd or 4th round. Extreme case of boom or bust. To have his skill at that size at any age is impressive. He’s one of the younger players in the draft and clearly a late bloomer. Could eventually play the Tom Wilson/Milan Lucic c. 2012 role for a good team.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Happy to see him taken. He has already put on 10 to 15 more pounds since his season ended I've heard.

The kid is massive and there is potential for him to become a beast.

Loved his potential this season and doesnt surprise me at all to see him drafted

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had two goals in Seattle’s season opener.

He also had a very good rookie camp, and got into one preseason game. He was one of the big surprises so far among Rangers prospects in the last few weeks. Very little was expected of him, and he was pretty good. Hopefully he has a big year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I tend to rubbish most of the late round picks we have. Most of them aren’t going to be NHL’ers, but I think Rempe has a better shot than most. He’s a super heavyweight enforcer. He’ll be the biggest player in the NHL. He’s destroyed some dudes in fights over the years, and he fought on heavyweight enforcer Ross Johnston yesterday in a preseason game after he wrecked one of the Isle prospects with a hit, and did no worse than a draw. I doubt he’s anything more than a fourth line enforcer, but I think he could get games as that.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I tend to rubbish most of the late round picks we have. Most of them aren’t going to be NHL’ers, but I think Rempe has a better shot than most. He’s a super heavyweight enforcer. He’ll be the biggest player in the NHL. He’s destroyed some dudes in fights over the years, and he fought on heavyweight enforcer Ross Johnston yesterday in a preseason game after he wrecked one of the Isle prospects with a hit, and did no worse than a draw. I doubt he’s anything more than a fourth line enforcer, but I think he could get games as that.
I think the day of the enforcers came to an end awhile ago. Especially one that wouldn’t put up any offense.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the day of the enforcers came to an end awhile ago. Especially one that wouldn’t put up any offense.
I doubt he’d be good at NHL hockey, but there are still some guys hanging around in or around the NHL that are only there to hit, fight, and be a deterrent.

Reaves, Johnston, Xhekaj, Geertsen, Deslauriers, Lemieux, Smith

I think Rempe could be one of those players. He doesn’t fool around either. In these games in the AHL, prospect showcase, and preseason he plays that role. He’s trying to make a name for himself and knows what could get him to the NHL. After Reaves left we need someone who can play that role in the organization.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I doubt he’d be good at NHL hockey, but there are still some guys hanging around in or around the NHL that are only there to hit, fight, and be a deterrent.

Reaves, Johnston, Xhekaj, Geertsen, Deslauriers, Lemieux, Smith

I think Rempe could be one of those players. He doesn’t fool around either. In these games in the AHL, prospect showcase, and preseason he plays that role. He’s trying to make a name for himself and knows what could get him to the NHL. After Reaves left we need someone who can play that role in the organization.
???

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Likely to get his debut tomorrow in the outdoor game. Would be the first player ever to make his NHL debut in an outdoor game.

Reactions: bl02

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Rempe has managed an interesting re-profile to get to the NHL.

I remember watching him in his draft year and he was this incredibly awkward-looking but kind of skilled guy playing an offensive role on a line with Conner Roulette who at the time was a big prospect for the 2021 draft. Had 1 fight that entire year.

Along the way he obviously figured out that his meal ticket as a 6'9 guy was to be a new-age enforcer and he's had 16 AHL fights over the past two years.

Size is still at a premium and it's interesting to see Rempe and Louis Crevier end up as two of the mid-late round picks from 2020 who found their way to the NHL the quickest.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Rempe has managed an interesting re-profile to get to the NHL.

I remember watching him in his draft year and he was this incredibly awkward-looking but kind of skilled guy playing an offensive role on a line with Conner Roulette who at the time was a big prospect for the 2021 draft. Had 1 fight that entire year.

Along the way he obviously figured out that his meal ticket as a 6'9 guy was to be a new-age enforcer and he's had 16 AHL fights over the past two years.

Size is still at a premium and it's interesting to see Rempe and Louis Crevier end up as two of the mid-late round picks from 2020 who found their way to the NHL the quickest.

He's been a fascinating prospect to follow. We've had a couple, actually. Him and Edstrom both. Two giant, really awkward dudes that were both skilled but had no real "profile" at the next level. Both seem to be finding a real bottom 6 role (I've always loved Edstrom as a prospect but it took me a while to come around on Rempe).

What an interesting route to the show.

Likely to get his debut tomorrow in the outdoor game. Would be the first player ever to make his NHL debut in an outdoor game.

Good for him, too. One of the hardest working guys in the organization (and not just a hard worker but a dude who can actually play a bit).

Reactions: SnowblindNYR and MS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad