C Matthew Rempe - NY Rangers (2020, 165th, NYR)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
You should actually watch him play. He is extremely effective, antics aside. Moves well, goes to the net, finishes hits, blocks shots.
I’ve watched him in most of his games. He can certainly play as a bottom six player with some development. The Rangers should try to develop him as a penalty killer with that reach. That said he’s got to tone down the hitting and fighting. He can do it. He lets up on some hits. But those takeout checks lead to fights with other heavyweights and he can’t do that so often. Every fight was a brutal one against a legit tough guy. It’s not whether he can hold his own in any one fight. But the cumulative effect will have him out of thr league sooner than later if it continues. His helmet has already come off a couple of times in fights and MacDermid broke Rempe’s face shield when they fought. He’s tough but he’s been lucky also. His career will rise and fall more with his ability to play hockey than his ability to hit guys hard as I see it.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I’ve watched him in most of his games. He can certainly play as a bottom six player with some development. The Rangers should try to develop him as a penalty killer with that reach. That said he’s got to tone down the hitting and fighting. He can do it. He lets up on some hits. But those takeout checks lead to fights with other heavyweights and he can’t do that so often. Every fight was a brutal one against a legit tough guy. It’s not whether he can hold his own in any one fight. But the cumulative effect will have him out of thr league sooner than later if it continues. His helmet has already come off a couple of times in fights and MacDermid broke Rempe’s face shield when they fought. He’s tough but he’s been lucky also. His career will rise and fall more with his ability to play hockey than his ability to hit guys hard as I see it.
What people don’t understand is if he didn’t get in those fightrs or throw those questionable hits he isn’t on the roster right now. Guys like him need to stand out in any way possible to earn their keep. 4th liners are very disposable.

I am sure he will learn to tone it down and pick his spots but he is still trying to establish himself. The kid quite literally fought tooth and nail to make it where he is right now.

Reactions: Pantokrator

My3Sons

Sponsor
What people don’t understand is if he didn’t get in those fightrs or throw those questionable hits he isn’t on the roster right now. Guys like him need to stand out in any way possible to earn their keep. 4th liners are very disposable.

I am sure he will learn to tone it down and pick his spots but he is still trying to establish himself. The kid quite literally fought tooth and nail to make it where he is right now.
True but it got twisted a bit somewhere along the way. Maybe it’s Laviolette’s fault. He can’t send Rempe out to hit guys and then tell him not to fight which is what it looked like to me. You can’t have every team roll out a thug just to fight him. Something has to change

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
True but it got twisted a bit somewhere along the way. Maybe it’s Laviolette’s fault. He can’t send Rempe out to hit guys and then tell him not to fight which is what it looked like to me. You can’t have every team roll out a thug just to fight him. Something has to change
If you are referring to last night there is absolutely zero reason Rempe should have fought Wilson. Even if Rempe 1 punch KO’s him there was nothing for the Rangers to gain from a fight there

My3Sons

Sponsor
If you are referring to last night there is absolutely zero reason Rempe should have fought Wilson. Even if Rempe 1 punch KO’s him there was nothing for the Rangers to gain from a fight there
It’s not about Rempe gaining anything. He should not have fought MacDermid but after two tough hits against NJ the code said he had to. In a regular season game he’d have been goaded into fighting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad