C Matthew Poitras - Boston Bruins, NHL (2022, 54th, BOS)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Matthew Poitras at eliteprospects.com

Honestly surprised there wasn’t a thread on this guy; had a 2 goal OHL debut and was dangerous all night, definitely a guy to watch for the 2022 draft.

NHL Rights: Boston Bruins
NHL Draft: Boston Bruins (R2, 2021, #54 Overall)

OHL Rights: Guelph Storm
OHL Draft: Guelph Storm (R1, 2020, #12 Overall)

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketdan9

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted in the first round, 12th Overall in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection Draft, centre Matthew Poitras became a key cog for the Guelph Storm during his rookie season. Poitras is another player who had to sit out the 2020-21 season as the OHL never got started due to the COVID pandemic. He made up for lost time by putting up 21 goals and 29 assists for 50 points in 68 regular-season games. Poitras also added one goal and three assists for four points in five playoff games, being one of the top players for Guelph. Unfortunately, the Storm fell in the first round of the OHL Playoffs, losing in five games to the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. Poitras also played for Team Red at the 2022 CHL Top Prospects Game.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Good to hear. Any other intel?
Very good motor and is a hound on the forecheck and backcheck, he always has his feet moving. Not afraid to fight for loose pucks in corners and is really good at winning them. More of a playmaker where he does a good job at using his vision when finding open teammates.
Similar style of game to a Brandon Hagel or a Blake Coleman in all honesty. Needs to improve his shot, offensive consistency and maybe even his skating to have a real solid impact in the NHL.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Very good motor and is a hound on the forecheck and backcheck, he always has his feet moving. Not afraid to fight for loose pucks in corners and is really good at winning them. More of a playmaker where he does a good job at using his vision when finding open teammates.
Similar style of game to a Brandon Hagel or a Blake Coleman in all honesty. Needs to improve his shot, offensive consistency and maybe even his skating to have a real solid impact in the NHL.
Interesting comparison. Your description ...
Kind of sounds like a Cirelli also

Perhaps Bruins hoping with hard work and added strength. Skating can improve. From his scoring clip....I like how quickly he can torque his shoulders/hips into the shot

Thanks for the response

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Interesting comparison. Your description ...
Kind of sounds like a Cirelli also

Perhaps Bruins hoping with hard work and added strength. Skating can improve. From his scoring clip....I like how quickly he can torque his shoulders/hips into the shot

Thanks for the response

Guelph Storm fan here who watched him all last season. Played wing mostly. His hockey IQ is exceptional, plays both sides of the puck well. His linemates switched up a bit during the season, regardless of who he was playing with he made an impact, elevated those around him. The fact that this past year was his rookie year in the O due to Covid cancelations, the numbers he put up regardless... high GAF meter and a get for Boston.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Guelph Storm fan here who watched him all last season. Played wing mostly. His hockey IQ is exceptional, plays both sides of the puck well. His linemates switched up a bit during the season, regardless of who he was playing with he made an impact, elevated those around him. The fact that this past year was his rookie year in the O due to Covid cancelations, the numbers he put up regardless... high GAF meter and a get for Boston.
What do you think is his area of improvements?

How is his skating?

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Don't hear anyone talking about this kid, but he's having another terrific season. Looks like Bruins got a steal on their hands. Not sure what his actual ceiling is, but he has the look of a top 6 potential player thus far.

He's up to 93 points in 62 games in the OHL, in his 3rd season. 16 goals 77 assists. Definitely looks more like a playmaker than goalscorer, but he plays a 200 ft game and likely will stick at center I'd think.

Don't want to ramp up the hyperbole TOO much, but compared to some other late 1st/2nd round picks that have gone on to explode offensively in their D + 1, it's like Poitras is invisible.

And sure, I get that a guy like Stankoven was even more spectacular. But I've heard more talk about Pinelli even and I think he and Poitras are in a similar range.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing him progress once he steps over full time.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Definitely trending in a positive direction. Yes, points, but other important metrics too - ie. check out his face off stats year over year.

Reactions: brakeyawself

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Don't hear anyone talking about this kid, but he's having another terrific season. Looks like Bruins got a steal on their hands. Not sure what his actual ceiling is, but he has the look of a top 6 potential player thus far.

He's up to 93 points in 62 games in the OHL, in his 3rd season. 16 goals 77 assists. Definitely looks more like a playmaker than goalscorer, but he plays a 200 ft game and likely will stick at center I'd think.

Don't want to ramp up the hyperbole TOO much, but compared to some other late 1st/2nd round picks that have gone on to explode offensively in their D + 1, it's like Poitras is invisible.

And sure, I get that a guy like Stankoven was even more spectacular. But I've heard more talk about Pinelli even and I think he and Poitras are in a similar range.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing him progress once he steps over full time.
Agreed

He was considered a 1st rounder/cusp

Dropped... due to so so height and skating.

But looks like he is proving these things dont affect his impact.

Solid 1st round like pick/risk.... with a late 2nd round pick

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
All I know is that I was hoping he’d last to the Rangers second rounder last year. Sure looks like he’s going to be a player.
Same. But for some reason Drury seems averse to drafting skilled centers. I love Othmann, but to think we could have had Wyatt Johnston, Stankoven, Raty, Pinelli, Svechkov or a number of other center, either playing now as our 3C instead of Chytil or coming in next season to take that spot from him. Makes me a bit weepy. Even if Othmann turns out terrific, it was still the wrong pick at that spot given our roster at the time and the fact that we had drafted Krav, Kakko and Laf within like the last 4 drafts in the 1st round. Made no sense to me whatsoever. It wasn't like he was even BPA at that point. But then, I guess a lot of teams missed big on Wyatt, Stankoven, Pinell and Raty. I'm still trying to figure out what magic bauble the Dallas GM is using. Crazy good eye for talent it seems.

Reactions: Synergy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad