C Matthew Phillips (2016, 166th, CGY)

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
In a complete reverse of my first piece, we go from a giant European defenseman to Victoria’s small but productive center Matthew Phillips (no, not the QPR midfielder). He has the same name as me (Matija, but close enough), so he clearly has swag.

He only clocks in at 5’7†and 160 pounds according to his HockeyDB measurements, and allegedly this may be being generous. But in his brief career Phillips has set all-time record for most goals and points by a Victoria Royals rookie. Playing a lot with overager Alex Forsberg and fellow 2016-eligible Dante Hannoun, through 65 games he has 34 goals and 36 assists for a total of 70 points. This total leads all WHL rookies in points, and at the time of this writing is third across the entire CHL behind only fellow 2016 prospects Vitaly Abramov and Alexander Nylander. With Nylander being a virtual lock for the 1st round and Abramov having all the tools one would look for in a top prospect except size, I think Phillips has done enough to earn a thread here.

Phillips has star-quality skill, boasting high-end vision and scoring touch. He’s very elusive and slippery, has good breakaway speed and clearly has no trouble putting up points at the WHL level. His size will obviously be the primary impediment to his draft stock, since high-scoring junior play is not particularly indicative of pro success. But the WHL is a pretty rough-and-tumble league and Victoria in particular has been a haven for undersized players like captain Joe Hicketts who play with edge and physicality despite a size disparity.

I think Phillips is the next in that line of players, the type of guy who will get drafted towards the bottom rounds, develop in juniors as long as he his able, and put up 100+ points over the course of a full WHL season a couple years down the line before going pro. If he’s not drafted this year, which is a distinct possibility, I believe he will inevitably come up as one of those players that should have been picked but wasn’t (like Hicketts, again, or Canes prospect Sergei Tolchinsky just as examples of guys who earned ELC's as UFA's right out of their first year eligible).

Unlike the Falkovsky write-up, I don’t have a lot to go on with Phillips. He’s been getting some buzz on this site’s Victoria Royals thread, though, and I found the following YouTube video about him.

I essentially echoed a lot of things the video says, since I am generally of the belief that skill is king over other considerations as far as drafting players is concerned. I would gamble on him in the later rounds of the draft with the acknowledgment that his skill level is that of a higher round pick but also realizing that he could be available later and wishing to maximize resources. Failing that, someone should at least give him a camp invite.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
He needs to grow. He makes Johnny Goudreau look like Milan Lucic.

His skills are damn good and he is exceptionally determined, but I just don't see him overcoming his size deficiencies.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
He needs to grow. He makes Johnny Goudreau look like Milan Lucic.

His skills are damn good and he is exceptionally determined, but I just don't see him overcoming his size deficiencies.

Fortunately for him, those are the two things that are absolutely mandatory for guys that small if they are to have any shot, assuming his skating is included in "skills".

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Every time I find a reason to write him off, he finds a way to prove me wrong. First, I figured with his size, he had no chance, then I watched him dance around smaller defenders, take and absorb contact with NHL-size defencemen and find ways to elude and avoid the biggest hits. Then I figured he was generating most of his points on the powerplay, at which point he started to score at even-strength, as well.

Honestly, with how well he's played, I can't fathom a reason he isn't drafted, even if it's late. He deserves the opportunity to prove teams wrong at the next level.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I remember watching him when the Royals were on sportsnet and he was very impressive he controlled the play and almost always looked dangerous. The only problem is he is just so tiny. I think if he makes the NHL he will be a star like Gaudreau or he wont make it. Wouldn't mind if the Oilers snagged him after the third round.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
its comical watching Victoria play when Phillips and Hannoun are on the ice together.

Very skilled but soooo small... like absurdly small

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
its comical watching Victoria play when Phillips and Hannoun are on the ice together.

Very skilled but soooo small... like absurdly small

On top of Hannoun and Phillips, they also have Jack Walker (This guy should get drafted), Jarod Dmytriw, Tyler Soy, Joe Hicketts and Alex Forsberg.

All of them are tiny but work hard and are sooooo skilled.

Watching Victoria play is a real treat.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
Griffen Outhouse also has excellent numbers

For real, I know he's only their backup right now and hasn't had a workhorse-level amount of minutes, but the numbers speak for themselves and his sample size is still reasonable given his age. He's also on the smallish side as far as goalies are concerned, but he's only an inch or so shorter than Carter Hart. Haven't heard too much about Outhouse yet myself either, though; things could get real interesting for all these Victoria guys on draft day.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Phillips is great. I can't wait to see this team in the playoffs.

I'm hoping the Canucks don't screw up again like they did with Hicketts. If he's available in the later rounds, they better take him. Knowing Benning, though, he'll probably draft another face-puncher like Stewart ...

gojays

Jan 15, 2007
I've been watching the whl for years. This guy has got as much skill as anyone I've seen in last 4 years. The knock on him will be his size. I don't see any reason why he can't be another Johnny gaudreau. I will have a ton of respect for any GM that drafts him. He's a very special player.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Heading the the Royals game tonight...Phillips is as small as advertised....but the is also as highly skilled as advertised.

I would take him in round 4 of the draft..maybe 3..

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I've been watching the whl for years. This guy has got as much skill as anyone I've seen in last 4 years. The knock on him will be his size. I don't see any reason why he can't be another Johnny gaudreau. I will have a ton of respect for any GM that drafts him. He's a very special player.

Phillips is so good but his size is just such an issue. Gaudreau is tiny and he has proved alot of people wrong but Phillips is 3 inches smaller than Gaudreau and 20 pounds lighter than Gaudreau if that's possible for people to believe. I'd love to see Phillips prove people wrong at the next level but honestly I just don't see it.

It is just honestly funny to see him on the ice and how small he looks. I hate to say it but when you see Phillips, hannoun and Hicketts on the ice at the same time, it makes me lose focus on tje game and I just giggle to myself at how ridiculous it looks due to them all being so small and also hearing alot of the crowd laughing too

However, those 3 may bring a WHL title home so I guess who will be laughing then!!??

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I mean, if Nathan Gerbe can play in the NHL I can't see a reason why Phillips couldn't.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Bracco is like 5'10 170... debrincat is like 5'7 160... Phillips is 5'6 137... yes he's smaller

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Major talent. You take him in the 3rd-4th round and hope he grows. His skating/edgework is absolutely ridiculous and he has a big-time motor. Goes to the tough areas to get points which is what you want from a small player. Dunno if he's a Gaudreau but he can definitely be a Tyler Ennis, and is more impressive than Ennis at the same age.

I have him as the #5 guy in the WHL Western Conference behind Johansen/Dube/Hart/Benson, and am worried I'm under-rating him.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
The Flames' drafting strategy: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Really excited for this little guy.

ETA: To shed some light on the issue, in an interview after the draft he said his current measurements are 5'7", 145 lbs.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
rkWGwW.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad