C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is he ready physically though ? Feel like maybe he could have used another year in college to bulk up.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Got to watch him quite a bit live at Magness.

Shifted to wing while at denver from the USHL.
-Carle gave him almost free rein to choose where he wanted to be on the power play either right wall or left and would just shift to either side of Ian Mitchell
-was the primary puck handler on his line as he excels at zone entries, and was usually the guy who did zone entries on the PP.
They kept shifting him in and out of trying the PK.
-He is really good in board battles because he wants the puck bad so bad
-His pace of play is so high, he could almost slow it down a bit in some instances.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020

First goal for the national team in the WC.

He's been one of the better players for Norway today (but that's not all that hard to do).

Reactions: barriers

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He definitely has got something about him. If it is good enough for a top 6 role in the NHL is another matter. Will by all likelihood be a very good player for Norway at least.

Reactions: Rufus T Firefly

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Not so much news on Emilio lately, other than him being a bottom six feature most if not all season. Given the limited trust and probably time on ice (AHL so no published ice-times available), he has put decent 11 goals and 12 assists in 54 games and a + 8. Was a healthy scratch last game after a -3 game before, but other than that he is producing almost at the same rate from the bottom six as he did last season on the top lines - PP included. He told the media that he is seeing the bottom six role as a way to improve his defensive game, but the if the last game was indeed a healthy scratch he should maybe start thinking of other options than Heat? A 30-40p NHLer on a third line is considered to be very good I think, and if he doesn't get good signals from the management on more ice-time after this season I would love to see him make a move. Another AHL team if possible contract wise, or Europe. Sweden preferably.

hypereconomist

Mar 10, 2019
Not so much news on Emilio lately, other than him being a bottom six feature most if not all season. Given the limited trust and probably time on ice (AHL so no published ice-times available), he has put decent 11 goals and 12 assists in 54 games and a + 8. Was a healthy scratch last game after a -3 game before, but other than that he is producing almost at the same rate from the bottom six as he did last season on the top lines - PP included. He told the media that he is seeing the bottom six role as a way to improve his defensive game, but the if the last game was indeed a healthy scratch he should maybe start thinking of other options than Heat? A 30-40p NHLer on a third line is considered to be very good I think, and if he doesn't get good signals from the management on more ice-time after this season I would love to see him make a move. Another AHL team if possible contract wise, or Europe. Sweden preferably.

It's not like Pettersen is the only player that is getting shafted. Zary has also spent almost the entire season bolted to the third line. The Heat have a really deep team this year.

Both Pettersen and Zary should move back into the Heat's Top6 once Philp leaves via UFA this summer and Pelletier graduates to the NHL next season.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
It's not like Pettersen is the only player that is getting shafted. Zary has also spent almost the entire season bolted to the third line. The Heat have a really deep team this year.

Both Pettersen and Zary should move back into the Heat's Top6 once Philp leaves via UFA this summer and Pelletier graduates to the NHL next season.
Yes, I read in Flamesnation or somewhere that it looks better next year for him. Just saw him scracthed and felt a bit worried, but nice bounceback with an assist and a + 1 last night.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Zary and MEP have been a lot better lately, finally getting rewarded with some production too. Still a little tough to see an NHL future for him but I hope to see him up one day. Personal favourite of mine, great hands and a smart player.

Reactions: A Bundy

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Aren't the Heat one of the best teams in the entire AHL this year? Those teams tend to not trust younger players in prime position.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
Aren't the Heat one of the best teams in the entire AHL this year? Those teams tend to not trust younger players in prime position.
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League Yep. They're the best team in the AHL this season. A probably ignorant question on the AHL as farmer league; is the main purpose of these teams to refine prospects into becoming NHLers or win the Calder Trophy? The answer is probably both, but managing two such different objectives might make one being done on the expense of the other? Example of Philp on an outgoing contract and no clear NHL path makes sense to play bigger minutes to win the Calder Trophy but not so much sense i Zary and Pettersen are bumbed to the bottom six with limited ice-time. Both Heat and Flames are owned by Calgary Sports Entertainment, and totalt revenues of Heat is like USD 6 million, so a midget in an economic sense compared Flames no matter if they win the Calder or end up last. ...So I would maybe think that producing NHLers from Flames or at least potential NHLers that could be included in a trade should be the main objective, or at least makes the most economic sense?

Reactions: Bounces R Way

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The Heat are not a team stacked with Vets.

They are in the position they are mostly due to their prospects (Wolf, Pelletier, Phillips, etc).
They do have alot of character vets, as most teams do. Guys like Kirkland, Gallant, Froese.

Zary & EP have gotten some chemistry going, and are getting more time & chances. Lets just be happy they are in a position to contribute on a championship calibre team, and next year they both will have big roles.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League Yep. They're the best team in the AHL this season. A probably ignorant question on the AHL as farmer league; is the main purpose of these teams to refine prospects into becoming NHLers or win the Calder Trophy? The answer is probably both, but managing two such different objectives might make one being done on the expense of the other? Example of Philp on an outgoing contract and no clear NHL path makes sense to play bigger minutes to win the Calder Trophy but not so much sense i Zary and Pettersen are bumbed to the bottom six with limited ice-time. Both Heat and Flames are owned by Calgary Sports Entertainment, and totalt revenues of Heat is like USD 6 million, so a midget in an economic sense compared Flames no matter if they win the Calder or end up last. ...So I would maybe think that producing NHLers from Flames or at least potential NHLers that could be included in a trade should be the main objective, or at least makes the most economic sense?
The main goal is to develop players, but the teams also need to give a fair deal to guys who have earned top roles like Philp. If you don’t give those guys a chance then it makes it harder to sign undrafted free agents.

Creating a winning atmosphere in the minor league team can also be a benefit. And the Flames historically anyway have emphasized defensive responsibility in their minor league forwards, so playing them in the bottom 6 doesn’t mean they only see them in that role in the future. It’s a good place to learn.

I think Pettersen will get more opportunities going forward. The Flames will want to see what they have in him next year so it’s going to be a big year for him.

A Bundy

Mar 3, 2021
The main goal is to develop players, but the teams also need to give a fair deal to guys who have earned top roles like Philp. If you don’t give those guys a chance then it makes it harder to sign undrafted free agents.

Creating a winning atmosphere in the minor league team can also be a benefit. And the Flames historically anyway have emphasized defensive responsibility in their minor league forwards, so playing them in the bottom 6 doesn’t mean they only see them in that role in the future. It’s a good place to learn.

I think Pettersen will get more opportunities going forward. The Flames will want to see what they have in him next year so it’s going to be a big year for him.
This makes sense to me. From interviews Pettersen seem to take the new role with an impressively positive attitute. This is in Norwegian, but he says here that he has to stay positive and use his new role as a possibility to learn, be a good team-player and that it can help him in the long run: Ny rolle for Pettersen: - Kan hjelpe meg på sikt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad