C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
You would see similar stuff happen if you look at Most Outstanding Player in the CHL, although not quite as extreme. The elite players generally leave at a younger age. Here is the list. There are some very elite names, but also some ones where you forgot that player even existed. The very best players on that list didn't tend to play in the CHL at 19 (Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Sakic, Lindros, Lemieux, Lafontaine, Hawerchuk). Now, there are examples of elite players who won it at 19 (Robitaille, Brad Richards, Radulov), guys who are good NHLers (Debrincat, Eberle, and Ryan Ellis) and there are examples of guys who disappointed but won it at 18 and younger (Cody Hodgson, Cory Locke). But, because the truly elite players tend to graduate younger, there are older guys who stick around and dominate that level. The exact same thing happens with the Hobey Baker, but is even more extreme due to college hockey tending to have even more extreme age gaps, and it being rare for the players who are taken at the very top of the draft to ever show up at college (Since 2005, the only 1st overall pick to show up on campus was Erik Johnson, they have 2 2nd overalls in Eichel and JVR, and 3 3rd overalls in Turris, Toews, and Jack Johnson).

CHL Player of the Year - Wikipedia

Informative as always!

Similar note could be made for NCAA goalie of the year (Mike Richter Award).

Since it's inception (2014), here are the winners, with age + standing:
2014, Connor Hellebuyck (Soph., age 20)
2015, Zane McIntyre (Jr., age 22)
2016, Thatcher Demko (Jr., age 20)
2017, Tanner Jaillet (Jr., age 23)
2018, Cale Morris (Soph., age 21)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Very cool having an 18 year old in the NCAA going PPG at the moment. Third highest freshman scorer in college right now; and the youngest (the guys in front of him are a year and two years older).

Hoping the Flames get another one. In short order we're going to need that influx of talent.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
30 pts in 40 games in the NCHC. Not a bad start at all for a 6th rounder. Hope he continues to round his game into form and improve next year, as I really like his chances.

Reactions: teddygmr

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
30 pts in 40 games in the NCHC. Not a bad start at all for a 6th rounder. Hope he continues to round his game into form and improve next year, as I really like his chances.
He was a bit of a passenger on his line to start the year, but he came into his own as the season went on. Showed some aggression towards the end on top of his skill, which is good to see. With the Flames forwards pretty solid already, he won’t need to worry about being a top-6 or bust kind of player if he adds that element to his game permanently.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
8 pts in 7 games this year. Probably a top 3 prospect for us at this point (though that doesn't necessarily say much about our pool at this point.

Aug 3, 2010
Gotta admit I don't follow NCAA hockey very much - who are the frontrunners for the Hobey Baker this year, and where does Petterssen sit among his nominee peers?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Gotta admit I don't follow NCAA hockey very much - who are the frontrunners for the Hobey Baker this year, and where does Petterssen sit among his nominee peers?

Right now it just means he's a top 3 player on his team as a team can nominate 3 players. It's not that impressive. It's good! And considering it's part fan voting and how rabid Flames fans are he could very well run through this next process.

There are other people who watch NCAA hockey a lot more than me, but my top 3 frontrunners are Dugan, Thompson and McKay. And I'd probably give the nod to McKay because I like the story. But the smart money is probably on Dugan.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado

I watch the Pioneers quite a bit, but the committee tends to lean towards juniors and seniors.
Wouldn't shock me if Mitchell is the one who gets more votes and gets a top 10 finalist over Peterson
Fan voting accounts for 1% of the vote (AKA it doesnt mean anything)

St Louis's prospect Perunovich could be a favorite, as MD has won the last two national championships and it seems fitting that a guy from that squad wins the hobey baker in this run they are having. Also undrafted Kawaguchi for the Sioux

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Right now it just means he's a top 3 player on his team as a team can nominate 3 players. It's not that impressive. It's good! And considering it's part fan voting and how rabid Flames fans are he could very well run through this next process.

There are other people who watch NCAA hockey a lot more than me, but my top 3 frontrunners are Dugan, Thompson and McKay. And I'd probably give the nod to McKay because I like the story. But the smart money is probably on Dugan.

Well he was the only player nominated from Denver from what I saw. Pretty good for a sophomore. Nvm haha

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
3 pts tonight (so far). Up to 30 pts in 32 games (leading scorer for Denver still and tied his total alst year).

Nice sophomore year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->