C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I remember reading this thread when I first signed up on HF Boards and laughing that we were banal enough to talk about someone so young making it. That said, I remember similar threads about Laine and Frk when they were young in Europe.

MEP is killing it so far in the NCAA. I hope he's able to continue dominating at that level! We're certainly cheering for him in Calgary :)

anofsti

May 14, 2011
I just checked his stats and see that he's on a shared 16th place in the point standings, and shared 20th in points per game - and as far as I can tell, the second highest scoring freshman in both

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
canucks need to draft him

pettersson - pettersen >>>> sedins

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Kid really impressed me with his play against the bigger, more aggressive Providence team this weekend. He was fighting hard along the boards, and he wasn’t letting himself get pushed off the puck very often. He’s already a bit of a PP wiz at the NCAA level already, and I’d say he’s Denver’s most skilled forward this year. Sky’s the limit for him right now.

Reactions: Breakers

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Kid really impressed me with his play against the bigger, more aggressive Providence team this weekend. He was fighting hard along the boards, and he wasn’t letting himself get pushed off the puck very often. He’s already a bit of a PP wiz at the NCAA level already, and I’d say he’s Denver’s most skilled forward this year. Sky’s the limit for him right now.

Yeah I was at both Western Michigan Games
He is picking up NCAA game almost as quick as Henrik Borgstrom did.

I remember when he committed I started following him way more closely and I was quite surprised at how quick he is adjusting.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah I was at both Western Michigan Games
He is picking up NCAA game almost as quick as Henrik Borgstrom did.

I remember when he committed I started following him way more closely and I was quite surprised at how quick he is adjusting.
I selfishly hope he stays for at least another year so I can keep watching him. Some of the passing lanes he finds are ridiculous. His shot is definitely coming along nicely, too. Like you said, he’s coming along almost as quickly as Borgstrom, which is just crazy.

Reactions: apoptygma

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I selfishly hope he stays for at least another year so I can keep watching him. Some of the passing lanes he finds are ridiculous. His shot is definitely coming along nicely, too. Like you said, he’s coming along almost as quickly as Borgstrom, which is just crazy.

Think college hockey is the ideal place for him to develop further. A bit less games then the CHL, getting some more time in the weight room and on practise, and playing against older more developed players should help him not getting bad habits.

His future will be decided if he are able to still find the room and passing lanes when the game gets even faster and the opponents bigger in the NHL. Having him becoming a player of Zuccarellos status would really help keeping the mainstream media in Norway on the NHL. The media might even eventually learn how trades and contracts work in the NHL...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Best player to ever win it is Paul Kariya. If you go through the list a ton of Hobey Baker winners didn't amount to much. Butcher, Eichel, and Gaudreau are the best ones recently.
The big thing that separates Kariya and Eichel, is the age they won it at. Gaudreau was on the younger side despite being a junior too. For example, Matt Gilroy was 24 for the entire season he won it.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The big thing that separates Kariya and Eichel, is the age they won it at. Gaudreau was on the younger side despite being a junior too. For example, Matt Gilroy was 24 for the entire season he won it.

Fair point, it shouldn't be considered equal to winning the Hart at that level. A lot of moving variables including linemates and goaltending.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fair point, it shouldn't be considered equal to winning the Hart at that level. A lot of moving variables including linemates and goaltending.
You would see similar stuff happen if you look at Most Outstanding Player in the CHL, although not quite as extreme. The elite players generally leave at a younger age. Here is the list. There are some very elite names, but also some ones where you forgot that player even existed. The very best players on that list didn't tend to play in the CHL at 19 (Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Sakic, Lindros, Lemieux, Lafontaine, Hawerchuk). Now, there are examples of elite players who won it at 19 (Robitaille, Brad Richards, Radulov), guys who are good NHLers (Debrincat, Eberle, and Ryan Ellis) and there are examples of guys who disappointed but won it at 18 and younger (Cody Hodgson, Cory Locke). But, because the truly elite players tend to graduate younger, there are older guys who stick around and dominate that level. The exact same thing happens with the Hobey Baker, but is even more extreme due to college hockey tending to have even more extreme age gaps, and it being rare for the players who are taken at the very top of the draft to ever show up at college (Since 2005, the only 1st overall pick to show up on campus was Erik Johnson, they have 2 2nd overalls in Eichel and JVR, and 3 3rd overalls in Turris, Toews, and Jack Johnson).

CHL Player of the Year - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
You would see similar stuff happen if you look at Most Outstanding Player in the CHL, although not quite as extreme. The elite players generally leave at a younger age. Here is the list. There are some very elite names, but also some ones where you forgot that player even existed. The very best players on that list didn't tend to play in the CHL at 19 (Crosby, McDavid, Tavares, Sakic, Lindros, Lemieux, Lafontaine, Hawerchuk). Now, there are examples of elite players who won it at 19 (Robitaille, Brad Richards, Radulov), guys who are good NHLers (Debrincat, Eberle, and Ryan Ellis) and there are examples of guys who disappointed but won it at 18 and younger (Cody Hodgson, Cory Locke). But, because the truly elite players tend to graduate at younger, there are older guys who stick around and dominate that level. The exact same thing happens with the Hobey Baker, but is even more extreme due to college hockey tending to have even more extreme age gaps, and it being rare for the players who are taken at the very top of the draft to ever show up at college (Since 2005, the only 1st overall pick to show up on campus was Erik Johnson, they have 2 2nd overalls in Eichel and JVR, and 3 3rd overalls in Turris, Toews, and Jack Johnson).

CHL Player of the Year - Wikipedia

Good post! I would "like", but I have an infraction. Informative, thanks for taking the time and I agree.

Reactions: L13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad