C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What the hell happened to the guy? Did he fall through once he got to NA or did his development just stall?

He had a pretty darn good year in a great junior league (USHL). That's high-level stuff and he's going to be going to an absolute powerhouse NCAA program in Denver. I'd say he's got more than a decent chance to get drafted as a later round pick who a team can stash in college for a while and may have some upside and certainly has some skill. Even if he doesn't get drafted, if he continues to develop in college, there's nothing saying his dream of the NHL is dead.

Considering this thread started when he was SIX years-old and he's not from a hockey powerhouse country...I'd say the kid has done extremely well. He's going to be playing the highest level of amateur hockey available and who knows after that. This should not be seen as a failure in any regard - it's just that reaching the NHL for any young hockey player is being the absolute best of the absolute best.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
He's good enough to become a professional player for a long time - if not in the NHL, then Sweden or Switzerland at least. Still hope he'll get more than a cop of coffee in the NHL though.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He's good enough to become a professional player for a long time - if not in the NHL, then Sweden or Switzerland at least. Still hope he'll get more than a cop of coffee in the NHL though.
Those things are hard to say before he has played against men really.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What the hell happened to the guy? Did he fall through once he got to NA or did his development just stall?
Don't care about kids before they play a game of high-level junior. No one should be seriously talking about someone still in elementary school as a legit NHL prospect. Just way too many variables, from puberty, injuries, and just being a big fish in a small pond. Pettersen is a better prospect, but this is basically Patrik Koys part 2.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Don't care about kids before they play a game of high-level junior. No one should be seriously talking about someone still in elementary school as a legit NHL prospect. Just way too many variables, from puberty, injuries, and just being a big fish in a small pond. Pettersen is a better prospect, but this is basically Patrik Koys part 2.

What a disappointment in Shawinigan he was. Cataractes not been lucky with their slovak import picks recently with him and Sam Bucek last year.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What a disappointment in Shawinigan he was. Cataractes not been lucky with their slovak import picks recently with him and Sam Bucek last year.
Yeah, pretty sure Koys emerged right when there was serious hype around the newfound emergence of elite Slovak players (Gaborik, Chara, Hossa, etc), and people didn't realize how far their development system had fallen.

Personally, I don't focus too much on a kids NHL potential before they have moved past travel hockey in North America into junior Hockey or in Euro's cases into the equivalent of U-20 leagues (so J-20 for Sweden). Now, that isn't a hard and fast rule, as HS kids in certain regions create a predicament (I mean, you can't ignore a kid like O'Brien because he plays USHL-Prep). But, trying to figure out what 16 and 17-year-olds will make the NHL is a nightmare, trying to figure out kids who are 12 is just an insane concept to me. For every 12-year-old Stamkos breaking a goal record, or 3-year-old Mitch Marner makes CP24 Athlete of the Week (although he was a defenceman.....), we have way more never was.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He just wasn't that good. He had some impressive highlight packages from when he was playing in Norwegian juniors, but Norwegian juniors are very mediocre and hence easy to dominate. This is why I wouldn't put much weight in a player's junior performance unless it's in a junior league with a good reputation and many comparables(USA, Canada, Finland, Sweden, Russia, etc.). When he got to USA and an actual high level junior league, it was clear that he wasn't nearly as good as he was hyped up to be.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This whole thread reminds me of my buddy telling me about playing with Ryan Sproul as a kid.
"He just skated around everyone and was one of the few kids that could lift the puck. We won like every game."

Don't know what expectations you guys had for the kid- stuck with it, kept grinding to get better, made his way to NA to most likely getting drafted and going to a great college program.

cowgirlcath

Johnny Mony and Cathy
Jul 9, 2018
Calgary
Really stoked we took a chance on this prospect. Plays a very skilled offensive game and should have 3-4 years to round out the rest of his game in Denver, who have put together a pretty solid hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->