C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

Leaf Fever

Mar 20, 2008
He blows away the competition in terms of his skating ability.
Pretty good skills for his age.

A pretty darn good player for an 8 year old.

The Face Pincher*

The kid needs to try passing and not showing off so much but he still looks pretty good.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Lol, quite the showoff. But obviously at 8 years old and with that skill, you usually are.

That kid can absolutely fly..

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
lol.. The first goal in the first video is in the arena I played in for like 8 years..

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
There was a kid in my league when I was 8 who scored like a dozen goals a game and could do plenty of slick moves. He plays Houseleague now.

Falcons93

Nov 30, 2008
There was a kid in my league when I was 8 who scored like a dozen goals a game and could do plenty of slick moves. He plays Houseleague now.

A guy on my team got 27 points in 5 tournament games...he plays Single A hockey now.

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
What happens when the players he's against learn to skate?

At 8 years old, nobody has any idea what kind of future a kid has. Ovechkin wasn't even skating until 9.

In my opinion, the kid needs to cool the showboat business, learn to pass, and play with older kids.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
What happens when the players he's against learn to skate?

At 8 years old, nobody has any idea what kind of future a kid has. Ovechkin wasn't even skating until 9.

In my opinion, the kid needs to cool the showboat business, learn to pass, and play with older kids.

I gotta disagree. He's 8 years old, let him have fun. He'll learn these things in a few years when the competition catches up if, that is if he wants to go anywhere.

That said, unless you're the parents doing this at his age is nothing special. He's just ahead on the learning curve for the moment at an age where the other kids will catch up to his skill level soon. How far ahead of the curve he stays is no guarantee.

FutureConsiderations

Dec 29, 2005
Brookline, MA
I gotta disagree. He's 8 years old, let him have fun. He'll learn these things in a few years when the competition catches up if, that is if he wants to go anywhere.

All kids should have fun. He's taking it too far, though - it's as if the attention is what he's seeking more than actually helping the team. What's up with that "paddling off the ice" thing when the game is over? Teach the kid sportsmanship.

That said, unless you're the parents doing this at his age is nothing special. He's just ahead on the learning curve for the moment at an age where the other kids will catch up to his skill level soon. How far ahead of the curve he stays is no guarantee.

I agree with you. Give it a year tops and most kids will be doing the stuff he's pulling now, with much less fanfare. If he wants to stay ahead of the curve, he should start playing one level ahead.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
Looks like the next great hockey star from Norway to me.............wait Norway does not produce hockey stars???

General Borschevsky

Jan 10, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Kid should work on his shot - it looks week - on my son's summer team when he was 8 years old they were picking corners from the blueline.

He's got okay moves, but like I said above, there are 8 year old kids scoring one handed Mike Legg goals these days.

His parents should tame him down on his showboating, before one of his own players takes out a few of his teeth - let alone what the opposing team might do to him.

I know at least ten 7 year old kids in my city better than this kid - and that's not counting the 8 year olds. He'd probably be a 3rd line Tier One Novice player in Canada - designated to a checking line ... and probably designated to riding the pine, if he diidn't start hitting the open man.

Keep the home videos to your self at least until he's in Bantam - because you know what - nobody really cares until there at least 13.

He'd be a very, very good novice player in Canada. That said, I agree that nobody cares until the kids are starting to be junior draft eligible.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
Who would have guessed that there's an 8 year old in Norway who is going to be a big hockey star. It shows how much hockey as penetrated the European market.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
I'm going to call BS, no way an 8 year old can pick the top corner from the blueline and nobody does a one handed Mike Legg goal at that age as well. There just simply isn't enough strength at his age. As for the comments on him passing I'm sure as he gets older they will stress the team aspect of the sport to him more. I see nothing wrong with a little excessive celebration Ovy does it and i think its good for the sport.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
All kids should have fun. He's taking it too far, though - it's as if the attention is what he's seeking more than actually helping the team. What's up with that "paddling off the ice" thing when the game is over? Teach the kid sportsmanship.
That paddling was a teammate. Emilio was the guy highfiving the goalie at the end and then skating off tapping his stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad