C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
I didn't know this site in 2006, but have been lurking these boards since around 2008/9. It's crazy to see how this kid will be in the next draft. How time flies.

The way it looks though he has become a good but not great prospect, is that right? From what I gather he's nowhere near a Svechnikov or Dahlin, but where is he projected to go approximately? I am aware that many things can happen in the pre-draft season (see Nico Hischier), but could he make the first round?

It's always fascinating how these things can go. There is this player who has been tracked for over a decade now and then there are these other players whose names popped up just a few years ago to the wider public but look like they could become franchise players. Things just go the way they go I guess.

Dec 13, 2010
I didn't know this site in 2006, but have been lurking these boards since around 2008/9. It's crazy to see how this kid will be in the next draft. How time flies.

The way it looks though he has become a good but not great prospect, is that right? From what I gather he's nowhere near a Svechnikov or Dahlin, but where is he projected to go approximately? I am aware that many things can happen in the pre-draft season (see Nico Hischier), but could he make the first round?

It's always fascinating how these things can go. There is this player who has been tracked for over a decade now and then there are these other players whose names popped up just a few years ago to the wider public but look like they could become franchise players. Things just go the way they go I guess.

His numbers weren't amazing but when you consider the team he played on (Omaha was awful this season) and the fact that of non-NTDP USHL players he was the 2nd highest scoring '00 (after Svechnikov), he actually established himself pretty well in the league.

If Mathias can get himself around a PPG this season, which is possible at Muskegon, he should be in first round consideration. 2018 has a ton of talent, so he may fall a bit further than he would have in other years, but he's definitely not far off.

Either way seeing a kid who's been talked about on this message board since he was 6 years old finally getting to the NHL Draft is going to be awesome.

Reactions: Vikke

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
His numbers weren't amazing but when you consider the team he played on (Omaha was awful this season) and the fact that of non-NTDP USHL players he was the 2nd highest scoring '00 (after Svechnikov), he actually established himself pretty well in the league.

If Mathias can get himself around a PPG this season, which is possible at Muskegon, he should be in first round consideration. 2018 has a ton of talent, so he may fall a bit further than he would have in other years, but he's definitely not far off.

Either way seeing a kid who's been talked about on this message board since he was 6 years old finally getting to the NHL Draft is going to be awesome.

Going to be good to follow him this season for sure. I totally agree it is pretty cool to be following a kid for 11 years... although that sentence probably needs context...

LC77

Nov 8, 2013
If Mathias can get himself around a PPG this season, which is possible at Muskegon, he should be in first round consideration

He put up those kind of numbers last 15-20 games last season so finished really strong on a poor team. Hopefully this will only improve this season.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Does this kid have a legit shot at being drafted in 2018?

Insane if a kid tracked on here from the age of 6 actually makes it to the NHL.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
He'll potentially be a first rounder if he has a very good season with Omaha. All the arrows are pointing upwards. It's not a question if he'll get drafted unless he gets seriously injured or something totally out of character happens.

He plays for Muskegon now. They probably traded for him to replace Svechnikov who now plays for the Barrie Colts.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What's the update with MEP? Seems he's talented in the games I watched, but the numbers aren't coming even though they're not truly bad with 6 points in 11 games. Still that productivity isn't 1st round material if he keeps it up at this pace.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
What's the update with MEP? Seems he's talented in the games I watched, but the numbers aren't coming even though they're not truly bad with 6 points in 11 games. Still that productivity isn't 1st round material if he keeps it up at this pace.

You're exactly right. He's just snake-bitten. Effort, physicality and skill displays are there. Stat issues might be a temporary illusion, and he could be a real steal in the 5th round or later.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Will be very cool for the fans of the team that drafts him to be able to go back through this thread and read information on him all the way back to 2006.

For all of the ugliness that we see on HF, this is actually very cool.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
You're exactly right. He's just snake-bitten. Effort, physicality and skill displays are there. Stat issues might be a temporary illusion, and he could be a real steal in the 5th round or later.

Will be be ready to contribute somewhat in the NCAA next season, or maybe another USHL year would be beneficial?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->