C Mathias Emilio Pettersen - Omaha Lancers, USHL (2018, 167th, CAL)

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Heat McManus, Nov 4, 2006.

View Users: View Users
  1. hamzarocks

hamzarocks Registered User

Wait people have known about this kid since he was 6. That's insane. This kid must have been known by hf members before they knew about mcdavid, mackinnon, Yak, rnh etc. That's insane. I found about him in 13 or 14. Though the thread was a bit too early than. 06 is crazy

2. Vikke

Vikke ViktorAllvin twitter

Home Page:
    Yeah, his dad posted youtube clips of him when he was like six years old.
    I've certainly followed this thread since its start, haha.

3. Valdemar

Valdemar Danish junior hockey

Mechanical Engineer
    I believe he most likely will make the final roster. It is not unusual that very talented U17 players from "smaller" hockey nations like Norway and Denmark participate in U20 WJC. Even if it is in a limited role the experience will give them a taste of what it is like to play against some of the best U20 players in the world, and make them better prepared for following junior national team competitions.

4. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

Yeah, he should have a solid chance. Last year the U-17's in the tourny were Hischier and Jonas Rondjberg.

5. Canada4Gold

Canada4Gold Registered User

Hope Norway wins promotion for no other reason than I want to see this guy at the world juniors next year

6. kaiser matias

kaiser matias Registered User

Final rosters posted now, and Pettersen is not on Norway's list. Granted he could be added later (I think they can have 20 skaters and Norway is at 19), but that seems unlikely for a week-long tournament.

7. Canada4Gold

Canada4Gold Registered User

Norway relegated to IB in the U20, the absolute earliest we can see him at the elite level is in the 2020 tournament 3 years from now which would be his last year of eligibility and draft + 2 year.

Not that it's even remotely likely that Norway will promote twice in a row :(

8. Loffer

Loffer Registered User

Jesus this Norge. What gives? - I think Norge/No(r)way is a prime example about the crucial meaning of culture in the success of any human endeavour on any arena of life. The natural climato-ecological conditions are optimal for hockey in Norge but all we have is some demi Italian Zuccarello in the Rangers coming from the land of brisk bearded fishermen while names like Shampoo Knudsen and Thoeressen or something still ring my bell. Hockey just isn't a sport of interest or significance in Norge unlike skiing cross country n alpine, ski jumping and soccer/hand ball to some extent. Otherwise they just yodle and fish "torsk og sei". And don't get me wrong. I am a huge Norway fun been visiting the country often. The landscapes are stunning and the people bold and beautiful.

But this hockey thing, dear Norway. It is just not happening there. I mean, relegation to IB division, really?! Next you will be facing teams from some Turkey, Morocco and Mexico, I reckon. Yikes.

You lack the history and culture. That is the thing. Zuccarello can pot 50 goals in a season and win the cup, yet it would be mentioned passingly in Verdens Gang while Holmenkollen World Cup event occupies five pages. Yikes.

9. kabidjan18

kabidjan18 Registered User

Kronwalling
    Home Page:
    Chill, Chill, and Chill.

First of all D1B is countries like Slovenia, Ukraine, Poland and Italy. There are miles between those and Poland. Norway had long been a D1A power but it was only inevitable that with the rise of other countries they would have trouble maintaining their spot.

Secondly, we could still see MEP at the elite level of the U18, though it's wildly unlikely.

10. tigervixxxen

tigervixxxen Optimism=Delusional

Didn't Norway get qualified into the Olympics? Not that MEP makes that team but that's a pretty big accomplishment for the country. And there's another NHLer, Andreas Martinsen.

11. kabidjan18

Kronwalling
    Home Page:
    They did. Last Olympic Quals was weird because it was like the last gasp for fading countries. Norway is fading, Slovenia will become irrelevant very soon, just the way the draw fell out there were no good teams in Norway's group and Slovenia's was hard as hell and they managed to pull it out what looks to be one last time.

Norway again was a strong hockey nation, just recently things haven't been going as smoothly. MEP could help it get on track but I always felt hockey is one of the most difficult sports for a single player to change an entire spectrum, he'll need help.

12. Garl

Garl Registered User

Engineer
    Kinda true, but their Golden Generation is in their prime right now(Kopitar, Sabolic, Mursak, Ticar, Jeglic), so it's understandable they are winnning tournaments like this.

13. Up7Yours

Up7Yours Registered User

29 gp, 10 p and a -26. Thoughts? Haven't seen him play myself.

14. kabidjan18

Kronwalling
    Home Page:
    +/- can be misleading but he has the worst +/- in the league by 7 , and he's not on a bad team either the worst +/- on the team outside of him is Matthews and Joyeaux with -8 each. Among U17s he's 11th in ppg with 10+ games.

15. spring29

spring29 Registered User

Pettersen has upped his game lately with 7 points in the last 7 matches. He said in this interview that he had to work on his two-way game and become more responsible in the defensive zone (which can explain his +/-).

16. wings5

wings5 Registered User

Still has that baby face, maybe he has an inch or two left of growth if he's lucky.

17. LC77

LC77 Registered User

He has 8 pts in the last 8 games now.

Next season will be so important for him,

18. kaiser matias

He's playing with Norway at the Division IA U18 tournament right now. Had 2 goals in their first game, a 2-1 win over Kazakhstan.

19. LC77

LC77 Registered User

1 goal and 2 ass in second game vs Germany(Norway won in OT)

20. aigledefeu

aigledefeu Registered User

21. tigervixxxen

tigervixxxen Optimism=Delusional

Ftfy

22. kaiser matias

Five point game against Hungary, to regain the scoring lead at the Div IA U18. Granted Hungary is not that strong of a team, but it's kind of a shame Norway won't be promoted to the elite division next year, as it would have really been fun to see him play the likes of Canada or the US. Still, at least this tournament is showing that while he may have had a rough year in the USHL, he can still perform against some decent talent.

23. wings5

wings5 Registered User

He was 16 playing his first year of major junior, I wouldn't call it a rough year, many 16 year old CHL players who were high picks in their leagues priority drafts also normally don't light the league up. For example Dylan Strome went from 39 pts to 129 the next season. So next year should be much more telling.

24. anofsti

anofsti Registered User

Not really outside from the southern inlands. The rest of us live too close to the coast and gulf stream. Me and some other spent around 100 work hours to prepare our outdoor natural ice rink for this season that lasted a whooping 10 days. Last year we were lucky and our season lasted from January to the middle of March.

25. LC77

LC77 Registered User