C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Yes, and in 1 month this thread will be 10 years old! :amazed:

Wait people have known about this kid since he was 6. That's insane. This kid must have been known by hf members before they knew about mcdavid, mackinnon, Yak, rnh etc. That's insane. I found about him in 13 or 14. Though the thread was a bit too early than. 06 is crazy

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Pettersen has been included on Norway's preliminary roster for the Division IA World Juniors, which is happening December 11-17. Of course this doesn't guarantee he will be on the team, or even wants to go, but if he does, the IIHF will be offering a live stream of all the games, available at the tournament page:

2017 World Junior Division IA

I believe he most likely will make the final roster. It is not unusual that very talented U17 players from "smaller" hockey nations like Norway and Denmark participate in U20 WJC. Even if it is in a limited role the experience will give them a taste of what it is like to play against some of the best U20 players in the world, and make them better prepared for following junior national team competitions.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I believe he most likely will make the final roster. It is not unusual that very talented U17 players from "smaller" hockey nations like Norway and Denmark participate in U20 WJC. Even if it is in a limited role the experience will give them a taste of what it is like to play against some of the best U20 players in the world, and make them better prepared for following junior national team competitions.
Yeah, he should have a solid chance. Last year the U-17's in the tourny were Hischier and Jonas Rondjberg.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hope Norway wins promotion for no other reason than I want to see this guy at the world juniors next year

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Final rosters posted now, and Pettersen is not on Norway's list. Granted he could be added later (I think they can have 20 skaters and Norway is at 19), but that seems unlikely for a week-long tournament.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Norway relegated to IB in the U20, the absolute earliest we can see him at the elite level is in the 2020 tournament 3 years from now which would be his last year of eligibility and draft + 2 year.

Not that it's even remotely likely that Norway will promote twice in a row :(

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Norway relegated to IB in the U20, the absolute earliest we can see him at the elite level is in the 2020 tournament 3 years from now which would be his last year of eligibility and draft + 2 year.

Not that it's even remotely likely that Norway will promote twice in a row :(

Jesus this Norge. What gives? - I think Norge/No(r)way is a prime example about the crucial meaning of culture in the success of any human endeavour on any arena of life. The natural climato-ecological conditions are optimal for hockey in Norge but all we have is some demi Italian Zuccarello in the Rangers coming from the land of brisk bearded fishermen while names like Shampoo Knudsen and Thoeressen or something still ring my bell. Hockey just isn't a sport of interest or significance in Norge unlike skiing cross country n alpine, ski jumping and soccer/hand ball to some extent. Otherwise they just yodle and fish "torsk og sei". And don't get me wrong. I am a huge Norway fun been visiting the country often. The landscapes are stunning and the people bold and beautiful.

But this hockey thing, dear Norway. It is just not happening there. I mean, relegation to IB division, really?! Next you will be facing teams from some Turkey, Morocco and Mexico, I reckon. Yikes.

You lack the history and culture. That is the thing. Zuccarello can pot 50 goals in a season and win the cup, yet it would be mentioned passingly in Verdens Gang while Holmenkollen World Cup event occupies five pages. Yikes.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Jesus this Norge. What gives? - I think Norge/No(r)way is a prime example about the crucial meaning of culture in the success of any human endeavour on any arena of life. The natural climato-ecological conditions are optimal for hockey in Norge but all we have is some demi Italian Zuccarello in the Rangers coming from the land of brisk bearded fishermen while names like Shampoo Knudsen and Thoeressen or something still ring my bell. Hockey just isn't a sport of interest or significance in Norge unlike skiing cross country n alpine, ski jumping and soccer/hand ball to some extent. Otherwise they just yodle and fish "torsk og sei". And don't get me wrong. I am a huge Norway fun been visiting the country often. The landscapes are stunning and the people bold and beautiful.

But this hockey thing, dear Norway. It is just not happening there. I mean, relegation to IB division, really?! Next you will be facing teams from some Turkey, Morocco and Mexico, I reckon. Yikes.

You lack the history and culture. That is the thing. Zuccarello can pot 50 goals in a season and win the cup, yet it would be mentioned passingly in Verdens Gang while Holmenkollen World Cup event occupies five pages. Yikes.
Chill, Chill, and Chill.

First of all D1B is countries like Slovenia, Ukraine, Poland and Italy. There are miles between those and Poland. Norway had long been a D1A power but it was only inevitable that with the rise of other countries they would have trouble maintaining their spot.

Secondly, we could still see MEP at the elite level of the U18, though it's wildly unlikely.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
They did. Last Olympic Quals was weird because it was like the last gasp for fading countries. Norway is fading, Slovenia will become irrelevant very soon, just the way the draw fell out there were no good teams in Norway's group and Slovenia's was hard as hell and they managed to pull it out what looks to be one last time.

Norway again was a strong hockey nation, just recently things haven't been going as smoothly. MEP could help it get on track but I always felt hockey is one of the most difficult sports for a single player to change an entire spectrum, he'll need help.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
They did. Last Olympic Quals was weird because it was like the last gasp for fading countries. Norway is fading, Slovenia will become irrelevant very soon, just the way the draw fell out there were no good teams in Norway's group and Slovenia's was hard as hell and they managed to pull it out what looks to be one last time.

Norway again was a strong hockey nation, just recently things haven't been going as smoothly. MEP could help it get on track but I always felt hockey is one of the most difficult sports for a single player to change an entire spectrum, he'll need help.

Kinda true, but their Golden Generation is in their prime right now(Kopitar, Sabolic, Mursak, Ticar, Jeglic), so it's understandable they are winnning tournaments like this.

spring29

Oct 8, 2016
Pettersen has upped his game lately with 7 points in the last 7 matches. He said in this interview that he had to work on his two-way game and become more responsible in the defensive zone (which can explain his +/-).

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
He's playing with Norway at the Division IA U18 tournament right now. Had 2 goals in their first game, a 2-1 win over Kazakhstan.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Five point game against Hungary, to regain the scoring lead at the Div IA U18. Granted Hungary is not that strong of a team, but it's kind of a shame Norway won't be promoted to the elite division next year, as it would have really been fun to see him play the likes of Canada or the US. Still, at least this tournament is showing that while he may have had a rough year in the USHL, he can still perform against some decent talent.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Five point game against Hungary, to regain the scoring lead at the Div IA U18. Granted Hungary is not that strong of a team, but it's kind of a shame Norway won't be promoted to the elite division next year, as it would have really been fun to see him play the likes of Canada or the US. Still, at least this tournament is showing that while he may have had a rough year in the USHL, he can still perform against some decent talent.

He was 16 playing his first year of major junior, I wouldn't call it a rough year, many 16 year old CHL players who were high picks in their leagues priority drafts also normally don't light the league up. For example Dylan Strome went from 39 pts to 129 the next season. So next year should be much more telling.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Jesus this Norge. What gives? - I think Norge/No(r)way is a prime example about the crucial meaning of culture in the success of any human endeavour on any arena of life. The natural climato-ecological conditions are optimal for hockey in Norge[...]

Not really outside from the southern inlands. The rest of us live too close to the coast and gulf stream. Me and some other spent around 100 work hours to prepare our outdoor natural ice rink for this season that lasted a whooping 10 days. Last year we were lucky and our season lasted from January to the middle of March.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->