C Mathias Emilio Pettersen (2018, 167th, CGY; traded to DAL)

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Really hope he'll come to Canada and play CHL (OHL) rather than go to College, I'd love to see him in person.

His English is absolutely incredible, almost completely accent free and obviously bang on American midwest. Has to be a good sign for his maturity that he seems so well adjusted kid. Most foreigners don't lose their accent that quickly after less than two years abroad.

Going to be crazy on this board when this kid gets drafted in a couple years.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Really hope he'll come to Canada and play CHL (OHL) rather than go to College, I'd love to see him in person.

His English is absolutely incredible, almost completely accent free and obviously bang on American midwest. Has to be a good sign for his maturity that he seems so well adjusted kid. Most foreigners don't lose their accent that quickly after less than two years abroad.

Going to be crazy on this board when this kid gets drafted in a couple years.

Norwegians as well as most Scandinavians in general are well acclimated to English and typically speak the language from a very young age. A great number of scandinavians speak more than 2 languages fluently.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I didn't know ordering beer in Spanish counted as fluent

In sweden many speak more than 3 languages. Mostly the people who don't drive tractorcar hybrides though.

I am pretty much fluent in spanish from school (use it in work from time to time) and also speak finnish and swedish as well as english.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
3 assists in 4 games according to eliteprospects, but no goals.

I didn't know ordering beer in Spanish counted as fluent

lol I don't think I know how to order a beer in Spanish. I do know how to ask where the computer lab is though... i don't really know why.

I learned English and Danish at essentially the same time as Icelandic growing up. I can also hold a conversation pretty well in Norwegian and could maybe communicate fairly well with a 6 year old in Swedish lol.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Norwegians as well as most Scandinavians in general are well acclimated to English and typically speak the language from a very young age. A great number of scandinavians speak more than 2 languages fluently.

The biggest factor is also that they're all germanic languages. Norwegian is actually the language that's the very closest to English out of any language in the world.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
In sweden many speak more than 3 languages. Mostly the people who don't drive tractorcar hybrides though.

I am pretty much fluent in spanish from school (use it in work from time to time) and also speak finnish and swedish as well as english.

What? not many people do speak more than 3 languages here.

You're over-estimating fluency. The Spanish you learn in school doesn't even nearly make you fluent.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
The biggest factor is also that they're all germanic languages. Norwegian is actually the language that's the very closest to English out of any language in the world.

Precisely. Norwegian word order is essentially identical to English in most ways, as in sentences are constructed from the same template.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
3 assists in 4 games according to eliteprospects, but no goals.

It's changed to 4 points (2+2) in 6 games now. Both goals can be seen here

That makes him #2 points overall amongst 00's, and tied for third on the Omaha Lancers - albeit it's a bit too early in the season to draw any conclusions from it either way.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
lots of kids are accelerating their high school credits to complete their high school requirements early. I think Matthews did something similar to play in Switzerland.
I'm not sure he even graduated to be honest, it was rumored he didn't have the credits to go to the NCAA, basically making it WHL or overseas. He may of gotten a tutor and finished up, but I haven't seen it reported anywhere. Pretty sure Matthew Tkachuk was in a similar position which is why he went to the OHL.

In recent years Hanifin and Werenski are the most notable examples of fast tracking. Since a lot of US states go by the school year (Sept-August) instead of birth year, it is hard to tell what class prospects should be apart of.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
Quick stat line:
GP 10 G 3 A 4 P 7 Plus/Minus -5

Still ranks #2 in points amongst 00's, #7 amongst rookies, and #34 amongst all players.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Pettersen has been included on Norway's preliminary roster for the Division IA World Juniors, which is happening December 11-17. Of course this doesn't guarantee he will be on the team, or even wants to go, but if he does, the IIHF will be offering a live stream of all the games, available at the tournament page:

2017 World Junior Division IA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->